Heritage Owners Club

Facebook Connect

Administrator

One of the enhancements in this version of IP.Board is an API module called "Facebook Connect." Essentially, Facebook Connect is code built into Facebook and IP.Board versions 3.x+ allowing users to link their forum username and Facebook username. In the current version, members will be able to update their avatar, profile picture, status updates and "About Me" pages and synchronize them with info from their Facebook account.

If you would like to use Facebook Connect, you can follow these steps:

1. Log in to your Heritage Owners Club forum account, and go to your "My Settings" page (click on the white arrow next to your name in the box at the top right corner of the page and select "My Seetings").

2. Click on the "Profile" tab. Find "Manage Facebook Connect" near the bottom of the column on the left and click on it.

3. Click the "Login with Facebook" button. If you are logged in to Facebook already, you should see a page asking you to grant permission to the "Heritage Owners Club" application. Click on "Allow."

4. Once you are logged in to Facebook and have clicked on the "Allow" button to associate the two accounts, you will be returned to your My Settings page, with the Manage Facebook Connect settings selected.

5. At this point, your HOC forum account will now be linked with your Facebook account. You have the option of choosing what you wish to synchronize with your HOC forum account. The options should be self-explanatory.

6. You're almost done! If you ever wish to unlink your HOC forum account and Facebook profile, click on the "Disassociate Account Now" button at the bottom.

7. Make sure you click "Save Changes" at the very bottom, and that's it!

At this point, you're wondering, "Why would I do this?" The only benefit I can see is that you are able to update your profile picture in one spot (Facebook) and have it synchronized with your HOC avatar and profile picture. Same goes for your status; update it in Facebook and it will propagate to the HOC forum (or vice versa). There is some functionality with "Like" buttons, but I need to explore that further.

Also, the synchronization occurs every 24 hours. If you want to synchronize your status/pictures/whatever more often, you can do so manually from the "Manage Facebook Connect" settings, by clicking on "Synchronize Now."

NOTE: You do not have to use Facebook Connect. It is not, and never will be, mandatory or forced.

Archived