Heritage Owners Club

What kind of amps do you prefer...

Mr535

What kind of amps do you prefer...  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which kind of amp is your favorite?

2. 2. Do you prefer...

3. 3. Do you prefer...

• High wattage amps (50-100 watts)
    • Medium wattage amps (30-50 watts)
    • Low wattage amps (15-50 watts)
    • Ultra-low wattage amps (<1-15 watts)

Which kind of amp is your favorite? I have listed some of the most popular models of amps in my assumed order of popularity in terms of peoples favorite tones. I guess this poll will test that theory of mine, now won't it? :icon_thumright:

The amps that I prefer are the ones that come with a free roadie included so I don't have to do the shlepping.

I have yet to find one... but when I do....

I hear that..He doesn't even have to be named "Bart"..

Trick poll???

Ive got amps that fall into every category, and single amps that fall into every category.(well almost)

Mesa LS 10w 50w 100w. Egnater 10, 20, 25, 50, 100. Yamaha and Line6 modeling amps, Fender(Rivera designed) 60w, Home made 15 and 30w thing. Owned Marshall plexi, jtm, JCM 800 and DSL50, other Fenders and had a AC30.

They all do there job. Not one is my preference in power or MV NMV.

Oh wait...the Line 6 sucks. But is really light and handy for little jams and quiet band practice.

For gigs I like 100w or 50w. But if I needed to I would use what ever it took to fit in. I like pop as much as early rnr, hard rock country and blues. Leaves it quite wide open when it come to gear choice. Neither a Mesa Dual or 15w Vox is out of the question.

Tried to answer the poll, instead I put on the latest LK155 and Kuz collaboration, pondered the poll, and came away thinking maybe I want an old AC30 or a Tweed Deluxe. Thanks.

IMO you left the most important choice of all off your list, 'ALLTHE ABOVE'. That's the reason I bought the Axe-Fx Ultra. Having over 70 world class amps AND over 90 efx combined with the ability to configure all that stuff in thousands of ways make this 'the one true superamp' AFAIC. I realize that a lot of companies are now making modelers and generally they are getting better and better, but the Axe-Fx Ultra truly is in a class all by itself. After all how many of us in the real world have endless access to ALL the amps listed and even if we do manage to get ourselves a couple of truly great amps that still falls far short of what I've got in this little black box. It is quite simply a guitarists dream come true. Add to that the ability to play at either thunderously loud or "bedroom" levels and not have to depend on driving tube poweramps to their limit to hit that sweet spot is awesome. Not mention it is simply the best device ever invented for recording. So I would have to check the 'ALL THE ABOVE' box on this one, cause I have em all and what a fine collection it is.

While I still like Fender cleans, I find myself drawn more and more to the British amps - especially Vox. There is just something about that Limey Chime that I find says "this is what electric guitar is supposed to sound like."

+1 but I would say that, wouldn't I? ;)

Vox + P90 = Amazing

The amps that I prefer are the ones that come with a free roadie included so I don't have to do the shlepping.

I have yet to find one... but when I do....

Yeah, I think we would all like one of those. Roadies are a pain too, though. I mean, they're always complaining, and wanting you to pay them! :rolleyes_mini: I mean C'mon!

Depends on what you play... blues, country, jazz, rock - P90 Humbuckers Fender single coils, use effects, play in out. Basic Fender/Ampeg, Vox, Marshall All other.

For me got to be tubes, anywhere from 5 -22 watts and good for Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock & Country low volume with breakup. Nolatone RJ - tweed, blackface Marshall clean to classic breakup low to med volume & lots of headroom.

Second AC15 Hayseed with TB and ef86 channels

From my arsenal, my Marshall is probably the only one that gives me "my" sound. Still, I like my others as well. I've been experimenting with some low wattage tube amps lately, and have been having a lot of fun with them.

From my arsenal, my Marshall is probably the only one that gives me "my" sound. Still, I like my others as well. I've been experimenting with some low wattage tube amps lately, and have been having a lot of fun with them.

I like the low wattage end of the spectrum lately as well, especially the fender tweeds!

I'm really digging the 5F1 Champ :D

While I still like Fender cleans, I find myself drawn more and more to the British amps - especially Vox. There is just something about that Limey Chime that I find says "this is what electric guitar is supposed to sound like."

know Paul Sanders' Nolatones? great stuff, by all accounts

i picked a non-master 30w marshall cuz i lean toward fender tweeds. i know it's tough to pick categories on polls like this, but a couple-3 thoughts:

- if you got dumbles (usually master-vol channel switcher BF Fender-y w/lots of EQ), you might include trainwrecks (non-master minimal & more British)

- there's a radical diff twixt tweed & blackface fenders, so maybe they should have separate categories (similar w/classic marshall (tweed fender-y) vs. modern)

- different Heritage models cover tweed or blackface or vox or marshall

fun poll!

I play an AC15H1TV (the "handwired" one...really "half" handwired...with the EF86 channel) through a G12H30. It's Voxy, its Marshally it RULES.

That said, I want a JTM45.

It will happen one day....I will have my 535 and a JTM45 and will spend an entire afternoon pretending to be Eric Clapton circa 1966. :D

I guess I prefer "dirty" amps, so have to say Marshall-type. I have a Marshall VM, it just has that one-trick-pony rock sound and when you run an OD pedal through it, it sounds great, plus it cleans up very well rolling back the volume. Of course, I also really like a nice clean tone, Vox or Fender, doesn't matter much to me I like both of them. I just like being able to go from clean and folksy/jazzy to scorch the paint off the walls, just playing with the range for impact.

I really would like a nice two- or three-channel amp that covered all that scope, but I find the Marshall gets clean enough, does the mid-range dirty or bluesy rock, and with my OCD pedal (or just the high-gain mode of the "Dynamic Mode") it goes about as high-gain as I really want it to. In short, it really has the sound I like and does it very well while doing everything well-enough enough to pass for my needs.

I also like having a simple setup and just letting my playing style determine how it sounds. I've thought of getting a Knucklehead Reverb or Mesa Boogie Mark IV for that reason. That is one thing I really miss about the Vox AC-15 I had. I had the cheaper Chinese-made version, but it still had a very nice vibe to it. It went from that sparkly clean chimey sound to a real nice, natural overdrive just based on how hard you strummed it, all in one simple little setup. I LOVE that responsiveness to the pick attack alone, and really should shut up before I convince myself to get a boutique Vox amp.

-Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I really dig on my Roland Cube 80x and MicroCube. Still just pleased as punch with it.

I have been, since I got it, trying to get a great rockabilly or bluesy tone with it. I just couldn't get past the jazz tone. I'd turn it on and play a chord and then 30 minutes would just run off somewhere. Next thing you know, I have to go to bed because of work the next morning and I never turned from the JC setting. :(

Recently though, I used the Brit Combo setting to get this great GRITTY blues tone that sounds REALLY cool with contemporary rockabilly.

Yes, you've got that Carr - do you ever use that for your dirty sound? I test drove the Rambler about a month ago - GREAT clean sound - no matter how high you have the volume, and I dimed it! After hearing that, the Fender amps weren't so great, having that sizzle at the top end. I think there's no way to get dirt unless one uses a pedal.

Since I'm not gigging, small amps are the best for my situation. I love the blackface sound, and the Rivera and Allen amps I have give me what I need. When I get together with friends, they keep up with some larger beasts just fine (as long as no one gets unruly).

I just LOVE the sound of P-90's through my little 8 watt Gibsonette!! It's TOTALLY old school, but it's AWESOME!! No Pedals, Just CHIME,CHIME, CHIME!!

Archived