Heritage Owners Club

Does anybody know why...?

Mr535

Hey, does anybody know why there is sawdust on the seem of the hollow chamber and the solid center block on an H535? When I look inside of mine, there is sawdust on that seem (on the bottom, where the center block meets the bottom of the guitar). I'm assuming that's because that's where the epoxy is, and sawdust got glued on there (and theres alot of it). Does anybody know why that sawdust is there (good reason)? Was it preventable, or was this just a QC slip? It's bothering me. :BangHead:

I am not trying to sound offensive, but I don't know if I have ever looked inside my 555 or 535 at all.

Is the saw dust loose and it is coming out of the guitar?

If not, I don't understand why something inside the guitar would bother you at all? :dontknow:

So we are clear, you are not talking about a finish flaw on the outside of the guitar, right? (Maybe, I didn't understand your question).

But if I am correct in assuming you are looking inside the guitar and see some sawdust glued to the center block, I will have to go with the immoral words of REN at Heritage... "Well, how does she sound?"

John . . . .I'm usually 100% in agreement with what you post. I feel at this stage of my participation here on HOC♠, I no longer have to reiterate my love for and allegiance to Heritage. But, there is simply no room for carelessness!! Period!! Despite what Ren says about "How does she sound?" . . . there is simply no room for carelessness!! (I love to say things twice) I will bet an ice cold beer, that if there was some "stuff" left behind as a result of carelessness, the person responsible for the carelessness would be all kinds of pissed off at himself for missing it . .. as he should be. Now, I don't know what Mr. 535 saw, but, the inside of a guitar should be equally as meticulous as the outside. That's what separates the real craftsmen from the wanna be craftsmen. Let's not have our affection for Heritage and its people develop into a level of tolerance for anything short of excellence. We need to continue to hold them all to the highest level of quality. The competition out there is too fierce. If they fall behind . . . . . . they will fail.

Does it sound good? There are lots of boutique guitars that look great inside and out and sound OK. Does your sound good. Then complain! If it sounds great STFU

My Dear Lance . . . you know . . .as I've told you before . . . . "me love you long time GI" (I hope you're not drinking Martinis) However, I want to take you back to an August 5th . . . or was it 25th post, when you received that beautiful custom 575 non cutaway acoustic arch top from Jay Wolfe. Your exact comments were "I'm a little bummed out by the finish checking . . . I'm going to call Jay wolfe" While I'm sure that it sounded AMAZING, You obviously didn't "STFU" . . . as you shouldn't have. Think about it man. "me so ho--ny . . . me so ho--ny" "$15 dolla each"

Hmmm. It's hard to comment on without seeing what we're talking about. And it's the kind of thing that you'd probably have to see in person.

On one hand, we desire a clean interior, and that's what we usually see. But then again, I'd think that this issue could be solved pretty easily. If it's really mixed in with the glue, I'd guess it wouldn't be as noticable and may actually help create a more solid bond there.

So, I'd say it wouldn't affect value, durability,or tone. And it wouldn't affect my desire for the instrument, but I haven't seen it either. Maybe it looks worse than I am imagining.

Guest HRB853370

Does it sound good? There are lots of boutique guitars that look great inside and out and sound OK. Does your sound good. Then complain! If it sounds great STFU

Hey BOB

Have a little compassion for a guy who is asking a legitmate question. You have may 15 Heritages, (fortunate for you) and this guy may only have ONE! I am a new member too, and if I asked the same question and received your response, I think I would go off on you!

The sawdust is there to achieve balance so the guitar isn't so neck-heavy. :wacko_mini2:

IMHO, as long as it's not a lot, then I wouldn't worry about it. My Hamers have glue drips on the inside. Sloppy? Yes. Am I concerned? Nope.

Perhaps posting a picture would help.

My bad, as in bad form.

As for patric, my beef was with jay for non disclosure. Not heritage for bad quality. The quality was or is first. But the description of the, in this case, used guitar, was not correct.

Again, my bad if she sounds good, keep her,

If she sounds bad, then complain.

I tried to edit the STFU but was too late and for that I apologize. It was rude and wrong.

My Dear Lance . . . you know . . .as I've told you before . . . . "me love you long time GI" (I hope you're not drinking Martinis) However, I want to take you back to an August 5th . . . or was it 25th post, when you received that beautiful custom 575 non cutaway acoustic arch top from Jay Wolfe. Your exact comments were "I'm a little bummed out by the finish checking . . . I'm going to call

Jay wolfe" While I'm sure that it sounded AMAZING, You

obviously didn't "STFU" . . . as you shouldn't have. Think

about it man. "me so ho--ny . . . me so ho--ny" "$15

dolla each"

Patrick, what's with the anti Asian retoric?

I was rude, I apologized? but what's with the " me so Ho-- NY " stuff? You have a problem Asians?

Guest mgoetting

I'm a little surprised about seeing sawdust in the glue. I've certainly have seen worse though. I must say that it hasn't bothered me. It's not a big enough defect to make it a second, and it may not even be considered a defect. I'm still fixated on f holes.

Remember the finger found in the Wendy's chili? That's a problem.

I find a lot of truth in all the above posts, but honestly until the OP comes up with a picture, it's all just speculation what we are talking about.

Heritage is a dusty place...many saws creating sawdust all day long. the sawdust works its way all around the shop, could possibly be just dust that settled in while it was in the final setup room, sitting on the racks at different stages of buffing, assembly?

too many unkonowns to start pointing fingers or saying "bad QC", by the way is quite an assumption, considering the talent of the builders/workers in that shop.

lets see some pics OP...then we can put this dog to bed!

I completely missed this thread and the question at its top. One thing I'll mention is that when I first received my 535 I opened up the case and there was some sawdust in the lining of the case, and what looked worse, there were also some small loose wooden slivers in there. The wooden slivers were of unfinished wood, so they must have come from inside the guitar somewhere.

Having just bought the guitar used from a remote purchase (something I hate to do... unless it's from someone I know from here) I was really worried that something had gotten jarred loose, or had broken in transit. Despite the fact that guiotar looks great, and sounded great, it took me about a week of peering inside with a flashlight, and gently tapping around the outside of the body to try and hear if something might be vibrating that shouldn't be, before I finally decided that all was cool. Ultimately I just decided that there must have been some loose wood/sawdust inside the guitar from the outset, and some of it came out during transit.

I think there's still some sawdust in the case lining, but since then I've had the guitar in for a setup and lookover and no problem was found. In fact everyone who plays the guitar comments on how resonant this particular guitar is. So while I can't for sure say there isn't a problem with your guitar, since I haven't seen it, I can at least report that you're not the only one, and that at least on my end neither me or my tech ever found any problem. I'm guessing that if you can't see any visible signs of a problem, and if the guitar sounds good, then you've got nothing to worry about.

At first I was pissed at the STFU, and thought about chastising the writer. As I read on I saw him express regret for an impulsive post, one he wished he could take back. So I've got to say that's a class act. It's not the little human faults we all have, it's how we deal with them that makes the man (or woman).

Life must be awfull good in the patrick household if all he has to worry about is some sawdust inside the guitar(lol). Sorry patrick but in all seriousness I'm gonna have to say thats a bit extreme on the nit picking. All heritage guitars has some sort of flaw( as they should because there hand built) your one of the lucky ones and it's inside the guitar which no one will ever see. Only machines make'em perfect so if your looking for absolute perfection everytime- (Buy a fender guitar, most mechanized guitar there is.

My point is simply accept thier flaws because they all have one somewhere I gaurantee it.

Archived