Heritage Owners Club

H150 vs H140

Ridgeback

The H-140 is 1 5/8" thick , where the H-150 is 2' thick at the rim and is 1/2" wider.

And the 140 usually has dots on the fretboard, where the 150 will have traps.

The older (1st edition) 140 is a different shape... but the current 140's are very similar to the 150 shape.

The 140 gives you a slightly lighter and easier to handle version of the 150 , with similar tone.

the basic skinny is the 140 is skinny.

I've had both. Eyes closed, I think the only difference in tone was primarily due to the difference of pickups. I prefer the 140 for the minimally smaller width and depth. It is just an easier guitar to hold. It is lighter, but not significantly. Still a very solid feeling mahogany/maple LP'ish guitar. I really like soft cutaway version of the H140, which does look almost identical to an H150 from the front.

My H140

IMAG0079.jpg

Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either.

I have a 140 and a 157 (blinged out 150). There's a huge difference in the feel due to the weight difference. The thinner body also feels better to me. Both have Schallers in them but since they were made about 18 years apart, they sound totally different. Right now, I'm not in the pup swapping mood, so I can't say for sure but I think it is mostly due to the windings and magnets rather than the difference in wood and mass. My 535 is closer to the 157 (similar vintage, both Schallers) than the 140 is.

As much as I like my 157, I just can't play it for long before the back pain sets in. The 140 is close to 2 lbs lighter, and I've stood with it for nearly 2 hours straight.

If I was depending on playing these for a job, I would either go with the 140, the 535 or the Milli.

If I was buying today, my choices would probably be 1)Millennium 155, 2) 140 series 2, 3) 150LW (light weight) for a "LP" style. And of course the 535 semi.

YMMV

I was never a fan of the H140, with the pointy cutaway, dot inlays, etc.

But seeing that photo of the soft cut H140 makes me rethink. Like others, my biggest beef w/the H150 is the weight, which after I got my H155 (chambered) the H150 became expendable.

I had an H-150 that I sold, and I've got an H-140 that I kept. The H-150 had the Schaller pickups, the H-140 has the Seymour/Seth '55 P.A.F.s It sounds better, weighs slightly more than half as much, and mine also has the belly cut, so it's nice to hold/handle.

I'd buy another H-140 if I saw another lefty one around at a good price and I was in the market, or suffering some G.A.S.

Archived