Heritage Owners Club

5 watt tube amp head

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

I have decided that I am keeping my recently acquired extension speaker cabinet that I loaded with an Eminence, and possibly match up a 5 watt tube amp head to it. The speaker is rated at 8 ohms. I would be interested in recommendations and opinions. I saw a little tweed head on ebay called the Revenge Lil Rock 5, supposedly based on a Princeton 5F circuit, brand new for just $200. Most likely made in China, and I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing anymore.

Guest HRB853370

I like the Orange Tiny Terror. It has a 7 watt setting that absolutely rocked!

Blues, I have heard great things about Orange also, BUT, I couldn't live with an orange colored amp. It would remind me too much of Clemson University....ugh

1-knob amp - Epiphone Jr. 5 watts. EL84 12AX7

img1461f.jpg

$126 for the head, made in China, but nice warm tube tone. Meant for people to do upgrades to them, I don't do that sort of thing, but I'm happy with the tone. Breaks up very nicely at 11 o'clock.

Blues, I have heard great things about Orange also, BUT, I couldn't live with an orange colored amp. It would remind me too much of Clemson University....ugh

Good thing the amp head is mostly white with some orang strips... I guess I shouldn't show you my newest amp I ordered.... Fender Deluxe Reverb in Orange Tolex...

If you want a great amp head that's hand wired to the specifications of the old fender amps, PM KBP810. I am currently using one of his fender champ clones. That thing is the cleanest sounding amps I've ever played. I bet you can save a lot by asking him to make you one.

Guest HRB853370

Good thing the amp head is mostly white with some orang strips... I guess I shouldn't show you my newest amp I ordered.... Fender Deluxe Reverb in Orange Tolex...

Didnt know Fender offered it in different colors!

Guest HRB853370

Blackstar HT-5 is worth a look. Plenty of YouTube reviews available.

H, is this one made in the UK or in China like everything else? Their website does not disclose origin of manufacture. I am looking at the HT-5H.

OK, I know this is NOT an amp head, but if you want great tone in a little package, that sounds incredible connected to a speaker cabinet, check this out.

Keep your eye out for an '80's Fender Champ II or Super Champ. These babies are 18 watts of pure Fender tone. They are easily modded so an Ext. Speaker 'out' can be fitted. Try one and you will never be disappointed. I have two of these. One is connected to a single 12" Celestion Vintage 30 and sounds amazing and loud enough for practice and small venues. Super Champs add Reverb to the mix for an even better grab and go amp rig.

Quality Made in the USA, point-to-point, Class A amps. :icon_thumright:

Fender Champ II specs and stuff...

OK, I know this is NOT an amp head, but if you want great tone in a little package, that sounds incredible connected to a speaker cabinet, check this out.

Keep your eye out for an '80's Fender Champ II or Super Champ. These babies are 18 watts of pure Fender tone. They are easily modded so an Ext. Speaker 'out' can be fitted. Try one and you will never be disappointed. I have two of these. One is connected to a single 12" Celestion Vintage 30 and sounds amazing and loud enough for practice and small venues. Super Champs add Reverb to the mix for an even better grab and go amp rig.

Quality Made in the USA, point-to-point, Class A amps. :icon_thumright:

Fender Champ II specs and stuff...

I've seen the Super Champ used for $900. Justin Sandcoe in AU has one in his newest vids on youtube.

H, is this one made in the UK or in China like everything else? Their website does not disclose origin of manufacture. I am looking at the HT-5H.

Designed in UK, manufactured in far East. Not sure where. It's not hand-wired or anything like that but it's honestly worth a look for the sheer range of sounds in the thing.

It won't be a "Fender" Deluxe Reverb

It will be a KBP810 Reverb Deluxe :)

Nothing cloned about it either! You won't find any Fender amp with as much quality and craftmanship as this bad boy! Maybe we can really beg Brian to post some pictures! :biggrin_mini:

I built my own from a kit produced by Aston Electronics (based in Staffordshire, UK), the VK5MV - http://www.astonelectronics.co.uk/valve-amp-kits-tube-amp-kits.html#vk5mv. It was a straightforward build, the kit contained everything needed and Geoff Pugh of Aston Electronics is a nice guy to deal with. The attached photos show my effort - my woodworking skills are a bit basic! Any UK members of the HOC who can operate a soldering iron and want a nice little amp should get in touch with Geoff. He also builds some rather nice amps of his own - http://www.astonelectronics.co.uk/voltamps.html

post-1813-0-09880100-1299886366_thumb.jpg

post-1813-0-12140100-1299886389_thumb.jpg

post-1813-0-97088300-1299886505_thumb.jpg

I built my own from a kit produced by Aston Electronics (based in Staffordshire, UK), the VK5MV - http://www.astonelectronics.co.uk/valve-amp-kits-tube-amp-kits.html#vk5mv. It was a straightforward build, the kit contained everything needed and Geoff Pugh of Aston Electronics is a nice guy to deal with. The attached photos show my effort - my woodworking skills are a bit basic! Any UK members of the HOC who can operate a soldering iron and want a nice little amp should get in touch with Geoff. He also builds some rather nice amps of his own - http://www.astonelectronics.co.uk/voltamps.html

Forgot to add that there are a couple of nice clips of Nearly Dan (a fine UK tribute act) with guitarist Rob Rolph using one of Geoff's amps.

Guest HRB853370

I nailed a Blackstar HT-5H 5 watt head on ebay for $220. It has 10 hours of playing time on it (per the seller) and is mint. They sell for about $330 on musicians friend. NAD coming.

I nailed a Blackstar HT-5H 5 watt head on ebay for $220. It has 10 hours of playing time on it (per the seller) and is mint. They sell for about $330 on musicians friend. NAD coming.

Great deal :) I had a lot of fun with the combo version of this last year. The ISF feature is a great sound-shaper :)

img1461f.jpg

$126 for the head, made in China, but nice warm tube tone. Meant for people to do upgrades to them, I don't do that sort of thing, but I'm happy with the tone. Breaks up very nicely at 11 o'clock.

I've got one of those heads also, makes a good doorstop.

img1461f.jpg

I have a "lightly" modded EVJ combo that I use with a 12" celestion cab. It sounds pretty good with a zendrive and my 150 w/ 59's

I cannot wait until my KBP810 Reverb Deluxe is ready. I've been playing his 5E3 V2.0 amp for the past week. Yesterday, I was able to turn the volume up and couldn't get any breakup until the volume was near 10! By then, I aggravated my hearing problem in my left ear. Very painful... Turned it down to five, but wow is that ever a loud clean amp for only being designed to be a 5 watt amp!

My favorite low power amp is one I've had for several years now, it's a THD Univalve head which I run into an Avatar 2-12" cab loaded with a pair of Celestion Alnico Blue speakers. It's not a cheap rig but what I really like about the amp is the fact that you can use so many different tubes. The amp only contains three tubes but allows you to use a wide variety of tubes in either the preamp, driver, or output sockets giving you a wide pallet of sounds to work with. I'll see if I can find a photo.

UNIBLACKFENDER.jpg

Archived