Heritage Owners Club

535 vs 555

heritagefan7

I've got a 574 that I saved pennies forever for and finally bought 1-2 yrs ago & it's awesome. Loved it so much, tht I just bought a 555 off of Ebay that's due here this week. I checked out the youtube stuff on the 535 & the 555 but all of the demos seem like they're done w/ different amps or pedals and it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison. I already bought the 555, but if I'm gonna be a part of the HOC it looks like I've got to start a serious collection to hang w/ the group. (You guys have so many awesome guitars) So, if I'm gonna be searching for a new buy or a later trade, I'd like to know--is there really a diff b/w the 535 tone and the 555 tone? (I'm playing through a vox at present and stay on the clean/blues boutique setting most of the time)

Your 555 likely has a mahogany neck. So the real difference between the 555 and 535, assuming the same pups and strings, depends on the fretboards.

Personally I cannot detect that subtle of a difference. Someone else might be able to I suppose.

Kuz recently posted tone files of three significantly different guitars with three different pups. We struggled to identify which was which. They sounded different from each other, but it was not a slam dunk to link the pups with the sound.

Today on the Jazz Forum there was a similar challenge. Try it yourself.

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/14732-can-you-tell-hollow-archtop-semi-thinline-solidbody.html

Your 555 likely has a mahogany neck. So the real difference between the 555 and 535, assuming the same pups and strings, depends on the fretboards.

Personally I cannot detect that subtle of a difference. Someone else might be able to I suppose.

Kuz recently posted tone files of three significantly different guitars with three different pups. We struggled to identify which was which. They sounded different from each other, but it was not a slam dunk to link the pups with the sound.

Today on the Jazz Forum there was a similar challenge. Try it yourself.

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/14732-can-you-tell-hollow-archtop-semi-thinline-solidbody.html

Thanks...look forward to checking this out.

Guest HRB853370

I've got a 574 that I saved pennies forever for and finally bought 1-2 yrs ago & it's awesome. Loved it so much, tht I just bought a 555 off of Ebay that's due here this week. I checked out the youtube stuff on the 535 & the 555 but all of the demos seem like they're done w/ different amps or pedals and it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison. I already bought the 555, but if I'm gonna be a part of the HOC it looks like I've got to start a serious collection to hang w/ the group. (You guys have so many awesome guitars) So, if I'm gonna be searching for a new buy or a later trade, I'd like to know--is there really a diff b/w the 535 tone and the 555 tone? (I'm playing through a vox at present and stay on the clean/blues boutique setting most of the time)

Yes a huge difference. My 555 has an ebony fb and a maple neck. It has a fuller deeper more resonant sound to it than my 535.

I only have one Heritage, but I'm Poor.. :drunken_smilie:

... I'd like to know--is there really a diff b/w the 535 tone and the 555 tone?

Not really - subtle at best. Ebony vs rosewood fingerboards and depending on year maybe a different neck wood. But pretty much a semi is a semi. Likely get as much voicing difference in 2 of same model or thru pickup swaps.

Yes a huge difference. My 555 has an ebony fb and a maple neck. It has a fuller deeper more resonant sound to it than my 535.

Well, we will have to agree to completely disagree.

My 555 with Ebony board & Maple neck was snappier, brighter, quicker response and less full, less phat, and less warm than my Rosewood board & Mahogany neck.

I think the general stereotypes of Ebony & Maple as tone woods would lead to more my opinion, but hey your version my vary.

Kuz is correct on the general principles of warmth vs. brightness.

Brightness has to do with rigidity of the neck. Maple is hard and laminating it makes it even more rigid.

Your 555 is a 2006, if I recall. That should be mahogany.

Interestingly, some archtop luthiers will laminate mahogany necks to make them brighter, sturdier and resist twisting.

Really, you won't know how it sounds until you plug it in.

We spend a lot of time discussing woods. Consider also that string attack and the type of strings you choose are crucial.

Consider also that string attack and the type of strings you choose are crucial.

I was shocked at the difference between strings, even with staying at the same gauge. Going to DR Pure Blues from D'Addario XLs was pretty drastic.

Likewise, picks make a big change.

Going to DR Pure Blues from D'Addario XLs was pretty drastic.

In what direction, Rich? Could you give me some details as to what you found. I usually use D'Addario's, but I have some DR's sitting around, as well. And it's time for some new wires on my recently acquired 535.

I totally agree about the difference that strings can make. Also, had a recent tone conversation w/ a friend abt his new/old es 335 (1983 I think). He praised the Kalamazoo gibbys and lambasted the Memphis versions, then went on to talk for a while about the need to match the right pick w/ the right guitar to get the right sound. He leans toward a thinner Dunlop for his hollows & semis (esp for jazz) but a thicker variety for his 60's Strat reissue (mostly 60's/70's rock)....For what it's worth, he believes that it makes a real difference.

I have found guitars with maple in them are much brighter, with less bass than mahagony

this goes for acoustics I have owned as well as electrics

I thought:

555 = maple neck

535 = mahag neck

is this wrong?

In what direction, Rich? Could you give me some details as to what you found. I usually use D'Addario's, but I have some DR's sitting around, as well. And it's time for some new wires on my recently acquired 535.

The DRs were smoother, more balanced across the range than the D'Addarios. There's better string balance across the range. This happened when I put them on both the 535 and the Milli.

The XLs are brighter overall sounding.

I'm always struggling with that: selling my 1987 535 for a maple neck 555... Just because I love the feel of Ebony with maple (never tried ebony/mahogany)... I guess the best is to have a 535 AND a 555 :D .

I have found guitars with maple in them are much brighter, with less bass than mahagony

this goes for acoustics I have owned as well as electrics

I thought:

555 = maple neck

535 = mahag neck

is this wrong?

555s now have mahogany necks unless you pay extra for maple.

While Mahogany is generally seen as warmer than Maple and Rosewood is warmer than Ebony, it may not always be that black & white.

According to John Suhr:

"Mahogany is not a warm fat tone wood. It is airy and can be brilliant. For that reason it works nicely on shorter scale length, thick body guitars that need some spank. Basswood is sweeter and has more midrange content. IF you want a LP sounding Strat you would probably get there easier with a Basswood body and a maple cap compared to a Mahogany Strat."

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=867869

Plus, I've read how at least according to some certain woods tend to enhance or dampen certain tonal frequencies. Generally speaking, the H-555 should be brighter because of the denser Ebony board a/o Maple neck where applicable. It is interesting that Mahogany might not be quite as fat/warm (at least according to one pretty reputable builder) as we imagine.

I do have a question though. Since Maple and Ebony have a brighter, snappier tone, how much can electronics, guitar/amp tone knob settings, strings, picking style/attack, and the like effect that? The pickups will only amplify what is there, however you can still do a lot to shape that. This interests me because you generally hear how it is easier to warm up a bright guitar than add brightness to a darker sounding instrument, and if people can get Les Paul sounds out of a Telecaster, I have to imagine you can get a Maple/Ebony necked semi-hollow to sound pretty close to a Mahogany/Rosewood necked version if you tweak it appropriately and enough. Am I wrong in presuming that?

The pickups will only amplify what is there, however you can still do a lot to shape that. This interests me because you generally hear how it is easier to warm up a bright guitar than add brightness to a darker sounding instrument, and if people can get Les Paul sounds out of a Telecaster, I have to imagine you can get a Maple/Ebony necked semi-hollow to sound pretty close to a Mahogany/Rosewood necked version if you tweak it appropriately and enough. Am I wrong in presuming that?

That's been my (limited) experience, so I agree with your hypothesis Counselor. It's why I don't think there's 'one' pickup that's great across every guitar. That the pickup character needs to match the guitar voicing to be optimum.

Well, she finally got here last night & I had about 20 minutes w/ her (long day). Absolutely beautiful and truly near mint. There really (as far as I could tell in 20 minutes & at night) seems to be a huge range of tonal options available, especially moving from pickup to pickup and playing around w/ the tone knobs. It's got a lot more range than the 574 or the LP for sure. I think it has D'adarrio 10s & the seller said that his set up guy put the new strings on. BUT--the fret buzz is killing me. It pops up on the D/G strings in the first 3 frets. I'll have to have it set up. Also, I still don't know what the pups are in it. Is there any way to tell just by looking? can the screw configuration around the pups tell you? Pictures seem to show the Seth Lovers w/ 1 center screw on each side of the pickup, but the Schallers and the HRWs seem to have 2 central screw--at least according tot he pictures. ANYHOO...she's here & she's beautiful and everything in life takes a little work to make it your own...

I only have 2 Heritage guitars: a 150 & a 535. However, in answer to your question about tone, I have to side with Kuz here. I have attached a link that supports what Kuz said regarding neck tone woods. The woods are listed alphabetically, so scroll down to the wood in question.

Maple neck with Ebony fingerboard is one of the "brightest" combos available. A Mahogany neck with a Rosewood fingerboard is much "warmer"

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/NeckWoods.aspx

Rock on Kuz

Guest HRB853370

Well, we will have to agree to completely disagree.

My 555 with Ebony board & Maple neck was snappier, brighter, quicker response and less full, less phat, and less warm than my Rosewood board & Mahogany neck.

I think the general stereotypes of Ebony & Maple as tone woods would lead to more my opinion, but hey your version my vary.

No problem! I just don't seem to detect any more brightness out of the ebony fb/maple neck combo versus my 535 which has a rw fb/mahogony neck. Perhaps the HRW's are skewing that tone in another direction.

I only have 2 Heritage guitars: a 150 & a 535. However, in answer to your question about tone, I have to side with Kuz here. I have attached a link that supports what Kuz said regarding neck tone woods. The woods are listed alphabetically, so scroll down to the wood in question.

Maple neck with Ebony fingerboard is one of the "brightest" combos available. A Mahogany neck with a Rosewood fingerboard is much "warmer"

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/NeckWoods.aspx

Rock on Kuz

Great site. Lots of info...My 555 is opaque black so checking any kind of grain or flame is out...ebony fretboard I believe. It can get really bright but can also swing to warm w/ minor adjustments in tone control. This is just a great guitar!

Archived