Heritage Owners Club

H150 weight range

donnie

Well, maybe not range but I'm just wondering how many H150's are out there that are neither special ordered nor weight-relieved, but still clock in at 9 lbs. or under?

Anybody have one?

9.2 here, a 2005. Not weight relieved, just less dense mahogany. Nice guit - I'm with you in that the lighter the better (if that's where you're coming from).

Yes it is, but I'm starting to think it's not gonna happen with a 150 short of extreme luck or extreme patience, neither of which I have.

I guessing that if I go with a 150 about 9 lbs. is realistic.

All my 150s are between 8.75-9.25lbs (yea, I ordered 3 with weight limitations).

Good luck, they are out there.

My H-150CM-Ultra weighs in about 11 pounds, so that's going away from what you want. It would seem a chambered 150 would be the way for you to go if weight is a concern.

My H-150CM-Ultra weighs in about 11 pounds, so that's going away from what you want. It would seem a chambered 150 would be the way for you to go if weight is a concern.

I agree, but even though I realize that most hold the opinion that chambering doesn't affect the tone, I'd prefer not to go that way. It's clearly a mental issue for me. Plus, I've heard tales of some chambered 150's that ended up weighing as much as some non-chambered ones.

I agree, but even though I realize that most hold the opinion that chambering doesn't affect the tone, I'd prefer not to go that way. It's clearly a mental issue for me. Plus, I've heard tales of some chambered 150's that ended up weighing as much as some non-chambered ones.

I would be surprised if there is overlap. I've had three chambered H150/170s. All were less than 8 lbs. I am unaware of unchambered ones being less than 8 lbs. (I'm talking about the 2nd edition thick bodied H170s and H150s).

I would be surprised if there is overlap. I've had three chambered H150/170s. All were less than 8 lbs. I am unaware of unchambered ones being less than 8 lbs. (I'm talking about the 2nd edition thick bodied H170s and H150s).

Marty, I don't want to start up a storm here, but since you've had 3 chambered ones could I ask your opinion: could you tell any tonal difference in the chambered guitars beyond the normal variation you'll get between any two guitars in the first place?

Marty, I don't want to start up a storm here, but since you've had 3 chambered ones could I ask your opinion: could you tell any tonal difference in the chambered guitars beyond the normal variation you'll get between any two guitars in the first place?

The only one I THINK I can hear a difference in is the H170. That sounds to me like a cross between a Millie and a H150. I couldn't tell a difference with the H150s.

I hate to get into the weeds on this because whatever tone difference there is, it is very small c/w other variables like strings, picks, attack, pups, etc.

I am as guilty as anyone else here thinking that if I could tweak this or that piece of equipment I'd sound great. It's a fool's errand. (I love that saying.)

I had a 2010 lefty H 150 that weighed in at 10.4 lbs. Too much 150 for me. I think the new mahogany is coming in heavier, and much of the lighter wood has been harvested.

tn_gallery_1759_248_13843.jpg

I spoke to Vince on the phone today and was talking about weight range, when he told me the story about Alex Skolnick and how his signature model came to have LW as a no-cost option.

Have all of you heard this story? No need to repeat it if so and I imagine you have. But a 14 lb.-12 oz. H150? Wow!

I spoke to Vince on the phone today and was talking about weight range, when he told me the story about Alex Skolnick and how his signature model came to have LW as a no-cost option.

Have all of you heard this story? No need to repeat it if so and I imagine you have. But a 14 lb.-12 oz. H150? Wow!

Go ahead, tell us the Skolnick story... 14lb 12oz..?

BTW.. my 150's and 157 are all around 9 lbs or under.. I need to get some accurate weight readings on them sometime.

Well, according to Vince yesterday when they were talking to Alex about his personal guitars he said he liked them heavy-real heavy, as he was of the camp that thought weight increased tone. Vince said when he related this to one of the builders (Jim, I think) that he got a gleam in his eye and went over and pulled a particular body blank that he had evidently been saving. The resulting guitar ended up being 14 lbs.-12 ounces! Vince said Alex seemed to love it and they built him 2 more, apparently equally heavy or thereabouts. Later apparently Alex told them that while he did like them heavy, maybe they didn't need to be quite that heavy. This Vince said gave rise to them offering weight relief as a no-cost option on the Skolnick signature model.

Well, according to Vince yesterday when they were talking to Alex about his personal guitars he said he liked them heavy-real heavy, as he was of the camp that thought weight increased tone. Vince said when he related this to one of the builders (Jim, I think) that he got a gleam in his eye and went over and pulled a particular body blank that he had evidently been saving. The resulting guitar ended up being 14 lbs.-12 ounces! Vince said Alex seemed to love it and they built him 2 more, apparently equally heavy or thereabouts. Later apparently Alex told them that while he did like them heavy, maybe they didn't need to be quite that heavy. This Vince said gave rise to them offering weight relief as a no-cost option on the Skolnick signature model.

Neat story! Haven't seen the AS Siggy LW, but it's good to know. So, they'll come in at a svelte 12lbs?? :rolleyes_mini:

My '74LPC is a tad bit over 10lbs. No way I could handle a guitar that heavy any more. Even my old 157 was a 10lb'er. Beautiful, but way too much to use for a night. It's either small bodied solids or semi's for me, now.

My 150 VSB is most certainly, Not weight relieved. It weighs in at:

weight 9lbs 10.5oz

1 piece back, Sustains forever.............

post-2180-0-37191200-1303401888_thumb.jpg

post-2180-0-55672500-1303401899_thumb.jpg

This thread confirms for me that the H-150P (poplar) doesn't get nearly the respect it should on the forum. At 7lbs, it's really comfortable on a strap. And while it doesn't have the crispness of a maple capped 150, it produces a great vintage growl with lots of sustain cranked up Or, you get some real sweet clean tones with the pots turned down.

4731106749_90c35d5bcf_b.jpg

This thread confirms for me that the H-150P (poplar) doesn't get nearly the respect it should on the forum. At 7lbs, it's really comfortable on a strap. And while it doesn't have the crispness of a maple capped 150, it produces a great vintage growl with lots of sustain cranked up Or, you get some real sweet clean tones with the pots turned down.

4731106749_90c35d5bcf_b.jpg

Do they still make the "P" model, other than special order?

Archived