Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Amps....

Mr535

Hello everyone, I was looking at the gorgeous tone machines known as Heritage amps, and I wanted to get a list of them, if anyone here is familiar enough with them to do that. Also, I wanted to know everyone's opinion on them; the amps in general, or a particular model.

Lastly, which of their amps are good low to medium gain blues amps? Is the Victory any good as a blues amp, or do they make something better for that sort of sound? Think slightly SRVish :icon_biggrin: . Also, if they make something better, under 50w and less than 65Ibs would be nice.... I'd like to be able to actually use it somewhere one day (without giant attenuators and a crew of roadies, lol).

This is probably (almost certainly) going to end in me buying an amp.... An expensive one.... But, then again, if it didn't, I know ya'll would feel dissappointed, you bunch of enablers! :icon_thumright: Maybe all I need (want) is some enabling....

Thanks a bunch, everyone!

Hello everyone, I was looking at the gorgeous tone machines known as Heritage amps, and I wanted to get a list of them, if anyone here is familiar enough with them to do that. Also, I wanted to know everyone's opinion on them; the amps in general, or a particular model.

Lastly, which of their amps are good low to medium gain blues amps? Is the Victory any good as a blues amp, or do they make something better for that sort of sound? Think slightly SRVish :icon_biggrin: . Also, if they make something better, under 50w and less than 65Ibs would be nice.... I'd like to be able to actually use it somewhere one day (without giant attenuators and a crew of roadies, lol).

This is probably (almost certainly) going to end in me buying an amp.... An expensive one.... But, then again, if it didn't, I know ya'll would feel dissappointed, you bunch of enablers! :icon_thumright: Maybe all I need (want) is some enabling....

"you bunch of enablers!"

Glad we could help. You can count on us.

The only one I've played in the Lobo 20. The best way to describe it is it's what a Deluxe Reverb should have been. I know that's a bold statement, but it's got the Black Face cleans we all know and love and doesn't get all loose and muddy and farty/flatulent when you crank it up - the bass stays nice and tight. Put a good tubescreamer type pedal in front of it and it'll do blues for days. Or just turn it up and use your guitars volume knob/touch to control the OD. Or if you're more into the Ford/Carlton school put your favorite Dumble style pedal in front of it (Alpha Drive or Zendrive) and pretend you have a multi-thousand dollar amp. Did I mention it takes pedals well?

I play SRV stuff through my KBP810 Reverb Deluxe. 22 Watt Tube Combo amp... Can't get much more SRV than that.

I've heard great things about these amps, never tried one though. They haven't been made since around 2006 I believe. Paul Cochrane (spelling?) was involved in the design and they where built in Kentucky. They have an external bias adjustment area with test points for easy biasing, something I find appealing. Google them, there should be good info out there.

You are in Jupiter FL? Believe you are close to Wolfe Guitars. Go talk to Jay or Graham.They may even have some. Jay I believe was involved in the custom specs of the Lobo, along with the Victory, around 20W. The Patriot combo was around 40 or 45W and then there was a Colonial Head and cabinet as well. A member here just got a great deal on a Lobo via e bay. The ones on e bay are usually pretty high $ though.

You are in Jupiter FL? Believe you are close to Wolfe Guitars. Go talk to Jay or Graham.They may even have some. Jay I believe was involved in the custom specs of the Lobo, along with the Victory, around 20W. The Patriot combo was around 40 or 45W and then there was a Colonial Head and cabinet as well. A member here just got a great deal on a Lobo via e bay. The ones on e bay are usually pretty high $ though.

Yes, I am very familiar with Jay and Graham. They have both a Lobo and a Victory in there currently. I was simply wondering if they made a better amp for blues than either of those. Won't get a chance to try 'em for a couple weeks at least, (busy schedule :confused5: ) so I was just askin'.

I already have a dual 6V6 amp, so I was slightly averted to the Lobo for that reason. Really, what I want a a really smooth, fluid amp. Really the only way to know for sure is to try them, but I'm sorta' leaning towards a '63 (brownface) Vibroverb (2X10). I was wonderin' if there was a Heritage equaivalent. I too like the external biasing points; very nice.

Thanks all!

Yes, I am very familiar with Jay and Graham. They have both a Lobo and a Victory in there currently. I was simply wondering if they made a better amp for blues than either of those. Won't get a chance to try 'em for a couple weeks at least, (busy schedule :confused5: ) so I was just askin'.

I already have a dual 6V6 amp, so I was slightly averted to the Lobo for that reason. Really, what I want a a really smooth, fluid amp. Really the only way to know for sure is to try them, but I'm sorta' leaning towards a '63 (brownface) Vibroverb (2X10). I was wonderin' if there was a Heritage equaivalent. I too like the external biasing points; very nice.

Thanks all!

a couple-few clarifies: they were made from '04 to about early '08 (never really shut down, just went on rilly long hiatus, by Lane Zastrow, and everybody left to pursue other pursuits). Brentwood, TN, just outside Nashville. Jay & Graham made a trip or three there and had lotsa fun tales to tell (everybody was a guitar player & involved in each unit's critique, e.g. - check out youtubes of "Shawn Purcell", who's also a member here & has stopped by every now and then) and can tell/advise the best, i imagine.

Paul Cochrane was the designer and one of the builders. Peter Mather ran the cabinet shop. it was a small operation, only about a dozen (?) or so at most, incl. management & office help.

the Lobo ("wolf") was a Wolfe-specific order and there are both Holland & Heritage versions of it. there were also:

Colonial

Revolution

Briton

Briton II head

Victory

Victory head

Freedom

Kenny Burrell

Liberty head

Patriot

for SRV tones, i guess maybe the Patriot (2x12 combo) would serve. not really a Vibroverb 2x10, and much louder, i would guess. $0.02: if the V-verb does it for you & there's a '63 available, then grab it. myself, i'd prefer the Patriot, but that's why we have mileage & variances & such ;)

enjoy

I have a Colonial head with the matching Colonial 2x12 cab. This head features 2 channels (tweed and Plexi) each with their own volume control....but you can have one channel on tweed and one on plexi and mix them. Also features a PUNCH/SAG dual rectifier setting in the standby switch. The clean tones are fabulous! And it sounds great with a pedal board in front of it.

IMG_6785.jpg

The only one I've played in the Lobo 20. The best way to describe it is it's what a Deluxe Reverb should have been. I know that's a bold statement, but it's got the Black Face cleans we all know and love and doesn't get all loose and muddy and farty/flatulent when you crank it up - the bass stays nice and tight. Put a good tubescreamer type pedal in front of it and it'll do blues for days. Or just turn it up and use your guitars volume knob/touch to control the OD. Or if you're more into the Ford/Carlton school put your favorite Dumble style pedal in front of it (Alpha Drive or Zendrive) and pretend you have a multi-thousand dollar amp. Did I mention it takes pedals well?

+1 for the Lobo 20. Great for anything from blues to jazz. Takes pedals GREAT, and the single most well crafted amp--inside and out--that I have ever seen. Really had little to do with the boys in Kalamazoo except for an obvious love of the craft.

Archived