Heritage Owners Club

Rebirth of a Champ

I reconfigured my `76 Champ. I built a new box from very old pine from a former life as paneling and took out the old 8 inch speaker and put in 2 10 inch speakers. The speakers are 8 ohms but I wired them in series so they are cut to 4 ohms now and so far they have not caused any problem with the 3.2 ohm amp, and believe me I have cranked it quite a bit. It has some big bottom end not and great mid range too. I just love it.

IMG_2528.jpg

I dovetailed the box for extra strength.

IMG_2530.jpg

I cannot decide if I want to refinish the box or cover it in tweed. All the parts are from other old amps I have sitting around in my basement.

IMG_2529.jpg

Very Cool! Nice job. If we are voting, I vote for finishing the wood, and, if you hate it, THEN go with the tweed. Play the hell out of it, either way! Is this the amp you recently acquired in a trade?

Nice work!

Is this a 'house-only' amp? If so, I'd stay with the wood. If it's going to be moved around a lot to gigs then some sort of covering will wear better than pine.

Very Cool! Nice job. If we are voting, I vote for finishing the wood, and, if you hate it, THEN go with the tweed. Play the hell out of it, either way! Is this the amp you recently acquired in a trade?

Good idea and it is the amp I got on trade. I cannot believe the tone this amp has now and the increase in volume too. I am not really sure why that is I guess the increase in speaker size and amount adds volume or perceived volume.

Nice work!

Thanks.

Is this a 'house-only' amp? If so, I'd stay with the wood. If it's going to be moved around a lot to gigs then some sort of covering will wear better than pine.

It might not be a house only any more, With a mic on the amp I think I could use it on stage. Last night I got some volume complaints with the Carr on the 18 watt setting and I was only at 9 o'clock on the volume and it was only starting to break up, 6 watts might be the ticket there.

Very nice. You are a talented guy. I recall your previous thread that showed your fretboard work.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work on the Champ. That one is special. I bet it sounds great with your new cabinet. I would laquer the natural wood to protect it a little, and wouldn't hesitate to gig with it. IT was totally gone through and bet it sounds wonderful with the 2 10"" speakers

I am sure it is a great companion to the H-150 GT. I'm really enjoying the Super Eagle

Cool idea and great execution. I really regret not snagging and hanging on to an old Champ --seemed like they were all over the place 30 years ago. I love the sound of those low wattage fender "beginners" amps, esp. through decent speakers. Add a nice custom cab --yup.

Archived