Heritage Owners Club

Golden age pickups

Trouble

If you're talking about their Parson's Street model, I very much doubt it. First, they lack the 2 per side adjustment screws that the Schallers have (although that could be more related to the pickup ring used). Second, they're unpotted, Third, they can be ordered with alnico 2 or 5 magnets.in either position whereas the Schallers are strictly use alnico 5.

Never heard them but they could be really good.

If you're talking about their Parson's Street model, I very much doubt it. First, they lack the 2 per side adjustment screws that the Schallers have (although that could be more related to the pickup ring used). Second, they're unpotted, Third, they can be ordered with alnico 2 or 5 magnets.in either position whereas the Schallers are strictly use alnico 5.

Never heard them but they could be really good.

Didn't think they were, they have a Golden Age "Parsons Street" you think they might be trying to cash in on Heritage or Gibson? :icon_scratch:

They're trying to sell their replication of those first Gibson humbucking P.A.F pickups. Funny thing is, there was so much variation in build and tone and even parts from one of those early pickups to another that you can't be sure just what a P.A.F. truly sounds like.

I've got a pair of Schallers in one of my guitars and SD Seth Lovers in another. They're both sold as P.A.F. replicas and sound quite different from one another.

Guest HRB853370

They're trying to sell their replication of those first Gibson humbucking P.A.F pickups. Funny thing is, there was so much variation in build and tone and even parts from one of those early pickups to another that you can't be sure just what a P.A.F. truly sounds like.

I've got a pair of Schallers in one of my guitars and SD Seth Lovers in another. They're both sold as P.A.F. replicas and sound quite different from one another.

What do you see as the difference in sound and which do you prefer? I have a 150 with SL,s, a 150 with Schallers and a 150 with SD'59s.

What do you see as the difference in sound and which do you prefer? I have a 150 with SL,s, a 150 with Schallers and a 150 with SD'59s.

I just played the Schallers and Seth Lovers back to back. The Seth Lovers are in an H150DLX that originally delivered with 59s. All in all, they have a similar character. Here's my take on the differences;

59s vs Seth Lovers: The 59's had a more scooped, nasal sound.

59s v. Schaller: I was just listening to some recordings I made of both under the same circumstances. They have much the same character except that the Schallers have a sort of natural reverb to them. Both sets of tracks were recorded direct to my sound card, but the Schallers sound a little like they were recorded using a mic positioned further back in the room -and that's the difference in tone I hear through the amp. While you might think that's bad, I think the effect is pretty cool.

On the other hand, the Seths have more of the clarity or fidelity of the 59's with a touch of that mic'd effect, and more mid range growl than either. Even when played clean, it's a bit like walking a mean dog.

My one Heritage with Schallers (my 157) sounds pretty good to me. Also, I am blessed in that I don't have cork sniffer ears. My other Heritages have Antiquities/535, Seths/575 and Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays/150. All arrived as is. All sound good in different ways to me.

The Golden Age pickups sold by StewMac aren't the Schaller pups used in Heritage's are they?

Have acquired a set of the "Golden Age Parsons Street Humbuckers" (Alnico 2 - #5408s) Pups from Stewart-McDonald for a double neck I am building.

- Not installed yet so fingers remain crossed that they'll turn out okay.

- I was rather hoping that perhaps they are made at 225 Parsons Street for independent resale.

- Anyone know if they're made in KaZoo?

Woody

Have acquired a set of the "Golden Age Parsons Street Humbuckers" (Alnico 2 - #5408s) Pups from Stewart-McDonald for a double neck I am building.

- Not installed yet so fingers remain crossed that they'll turn out okay.

- I was rather hoping that perhaps they are made at 225 Parsons Street for independent resale.

- Anyone know if they're made in KaZoo?

- The paperwork that comes with them does not identify WHERE they are made (US, China, etc)

- The paperwork says that Golden Age is a registered trademark of Stewart-McDonald but infers no authentic affiliation with Parsons Street in any way except perhaps borrowing the name for sheer marketing.

Woody

post-784-0-69980600-1309740803_thumb.jpg

post-784-0-76052400-1309740850_thumb.jpg

The Golden Age pups from Stew-Mac are made in China.

Rang up Stew-Mac and they confirmed your statement.

I have returned the "Golden Era Parsons Street Pickups" back to Stewart-McDonald for a refund.

No Chinese made Pups on my guitars.

Woody

I have returned the "Golden Era Parsons Street Pickups" back to Stewart-McDonald for a refund.

Woody

No kidding! Might as well as toss in some Epiphone pickups in there!

Now I had my luthier custom wind a humbucker for me a couple years ago. Wish I still had that humbucker. 15k output that when split it was 9k active and 6k dummy coil....

No kidding! Might as well as toss in some Epiphone pickups in there!

Now I had my luthier custom wind a humbucker for me a couple years ago. Wish I still had that humbucker. 15k output that when split it was 9k active and 6k dummy coil....

You guys had to burst my bubble. I will now have to burn my Parsons Street Golden Era t shirt I got from Stew Mac .

Woody

I have some uncovered schaller golden 50's in black I would sell you cheep. PM me if interested I have 2 bridge and 1 neck

I have a set of Dimarzio pups I would sell or trade as well, creme/black coils Air Norton bridge Blues bucker neck.

Archived