Heritage Owners Club

Heritage H-170

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

Due to the smaller body size maybe? I am thinking that model could be my first someday custom order. Anybody willing to share their 170 photos?

Due to the smaller body size maybe? I am thinking that model could be my first someday custom order. Anybody willing to share their 170 photos?

In a situation like that, I prefer to have 2 volume controls and 1 Tone on the Bridge pup and run the Neck wide open. Less interference with the signal, adjust the amp for the Neck pup tone and adjust the Bridge pup with the Tone control.

the more I look at the H-170 I realize why only one tone control. The normal pickup selector switch area will require the horn to be rather thin and could make the horn too fragile to handle the stap button...

• 3 weeks later...

I think the three pots control setup "fits" the H170 much better than anything else. I always have my tone control turned fully to the "bright" end anyway, and never use it beyond that. If I want to cut the highs a little, all I have to do is back off on the volume for that particular pickup just a tiny bit.

I also own a MIJ 1988 Charvel 5fx that has a sc at the neck, hb at bridge, 3-way pup selector switch and 1 volume control. I never miss the "other" controls at all.

With a two-pickup guitar, having two volume pots and two tone pots allows the player to blend both pickups for that "just right" sound when the pickup selector is in the center position. Or one pickup can be set up for rhythm and the other lead with an easy switch between. The H-170 and H-110 look good with the simplified one tone control, but certain players might be giving up something without that other tone control to fine tune their sound. Most players can adjust to the controls. I look at it as it's due to manufacturer whimsy, a cost-saving move, or even to follow a style, as certain brands have presented the one-tone-control setup for many years.

having one tone control and two volumes is another standard setup that Gibson has used in the past on some models. It is the standard control layout for Hamer guitars.

I usually don't mess much with the tone control, and honestly the use of the tone controls in the middle position is questionable IMHO. I'm not sure if, depending on the wiring, they even function independently.

It looks as though I'm one of those few that uses the tone controls quite frequently, especially on the bridge pickup on both of my H170 and H110 guitars. Sometimes I like to roll out that high-end bite on the bridge pickup by a couple of notches just to smooth it out a little. The only time I really miss a conventional 2-volume, 2-tone setup is when I'm using the middle position, for sometimes I'll still like to roll back some highs on the bridge pickup but not necessarily on the neck pickup. I'm considering the notion of bypassing the tone altogether on the neck so that I can use it exclusively on the bridge, and I tend to think this would work particularly well with higher gain amp settings. On the other hand, when I use only my neck pickup for cleans, I still like to have the capability to control the tone a bit. Ohhh....what to do....LOL. For the most part, though, I really don't mind it much just as it is.

H170LW-1.jpg

Not a 170, but the wiring is identical:

IMG_7291.jpg

I understand we all have our decided preferences brent, and it is "all good". To me it seems to make sense to have the selector switch right there with all the other pup controls anyway, so my right hand can handle all of that part of playing without having to "jump" to the upper bout. That is probably because I have never owned a guitar with the pup selector anywhere other than near the volume and tone controls. I played a borrowed black Les Paul Custom for a while but it has been so long ago I don't even remember what I thought about the different positioning of the flip switch.

I wish to goodness I had purchased that Custom back then. Due to a moderately bad case of buckle rash (none completely thru the finish though) the price was very very low, and the front and sides were perfect. I did a detailed cleaning and set-up on that axe and it looked and played amazing. Nobody sees the back of the darned thing anyway. Being a dumb kid and somewhat OCD about blemishes I passed on a stellar guitar. Insert weeping emoticon here.

I didn't feel it was necessary to start another thread for these 2 questions. If I am mistaken in that, apologies in advance.

Can someone tell me what type finish my 1986 Original Sunburst H170cm has? Nitro, etc.?

What would the pros here suggest for safely giving my old girl a brilliant Photo Op shine?

Thanks for any help.

Can someone tell me what type finish my 1986 Original Sunburst H170cm has? Nitro, etc.?

What would the pros here suggest for safely giving my old girl a brilliant Photo Op shine?

Thanks for any help.

Unless it's been refinished, Heritage uses nitrocellulose.

Virtuoso cleaner & polish and elbow grease. Wire wool and Dettol is NOT recommended ;)

It's the original finish. Thank you very much for the recommendation. One more question I guess. I have used Klasse on other guitars with good results including my 1988 Charvel. Any idea if it would be OK for a Nitrocellulose finish? Klasse Polish

"Acrylic is the Solution. Acrylic is different than wax, silicones, and polymers. This polish will bond to your car’s surface just like the previously mentioned treatments, but it will not cause any change to your paint, and you don’t have to worry about drying time. Klasse All In One dries as fast as you apply it, and there is no risk of hazing or streaking. All-In-One contains no abrasives or silicones, and does not stain plastic, vinyl or rubber trim. It can be used on any non-porous surface, and in addition to car care it is also approved for marine and aviation use."

It's the original finish. Thank you very much for the recommendation. One more question I guess. I have used Klasse on other guitars with good results including my 1988 Charvel. Any idea if it would be OK for a Nitrocellulose finish? Klasse Polish

"Acrylic is the Solution. Acrylic is different than wax, silicones, and polymers. This polish will bond to your car’s surface just like the previously mentioned treatments, but it will not cause any change to your paint, and you don’t have to worry about drying time. Klasse All In One dries as fast as you apply it, and there is no risk of hazing or streaking. All-In-One contains no abrasives or silicones, and does not stain plastic, vinyl or rubber trim. It can be used on any non-porous surface, and in addition to car care it is also approved for marine and aviation use."

Personally I wouldn't put that on any of my Heritages.

I use Planet Waves carnauba wax

http://www.musicpartsplus.com/Instrument-Care/Planet-Waves-Liquid-Carnauba-p7140852.html

In a situation like that, I prefer to have 2 volume controls and 1 Tone on the Bridge pup and run the Neck wide open. Less interference with the signal, adjust the amp for the Neck pup tone and adjust the Bridge pup with the Tone control.

Me too..I'm kind of a play the hand you are dealt player..I try to enjoy the instrument for what it is..Maybe I'm unimaginitive, but one of the finest instruments I ever played, was a P-90 equipped single pickup 1960's Les Paul Junior..I think it just had one nob on it..But when I wound it up through an old Fender Amp..Holy Crap!! :biggrin_mini:

• 10 months later...

Me too..I'm kind of a play the hand you are dealt player..I try to enjoy the instrument for what it is..Maybe I'm unimaginitive, but one of the finest instruments I ever played, was a P-90 equipped single pickup 1960's Les Paul Junior..I think it just had one nob on it..But when I wound it up through an old Fender Amp..Holy Crap!! :biggrin_mini:

I understand....... I understand.....post-918-0-33809000-1339753927_thumb.jpg

Archived