Heritage Owners Club

H150 "TALOS"

bocage44

Hi everyone! A few weeks ago I purchased a Heritage H150 from eBay that was apparently an employee build (It was one of four that Larry Perkins built for himself). There was a thread about it over in the Bay Watch section, and when I purchased the guitar, I wrote that I would follow up with my impressions.

First off, I must say that I'm very impressed with the build quality of this guitar - it's got a great top carve and the maple cap is pretty thick. The cavity shot below shows the pots and caps:

HeritageLPCavity.jpg

The guitar presently has Seth Lover pickups installed; although I've never used them before, I'd heard great things about them - at this juncture, I'm not entirely sure they're right for me, but I'll give them a few more months before I make decide whether to keep them of change them out.

One curious thing that was quickly apparent to me was the way that the saddles are notched. If you take a look at the photo below, you can see that the two E strings are set pretty far to the outside of the saddle piece. It doesn't seem to affect playability for me (I thought for sure that the strings would roll off of the fretboard), but alignment with the pole screws on both the neck and bridge pickup is pretty off. I've not seen this before - has anyone heard of a reason to do so in terms of performance? At any rate, I was thinking of going with an ABR bridge anyway, so the current one will mostly likely go....

HeritageSaddle.jpg

In terms of overall playability, the guitar is great! It has outstanding sustain and the neck feels good in my hand. The frets are nice and tall, so bending is really smooth. As an owner of 8 Les Pauls from the "Other Guys," I can say that this axe is guitar is easily on par with the reissues I own. I'm very happ with my purchase!

Here's a shot of "Talos" out in the sunshine yesterday. I really is a great looker!

HeritageLPFlame.jpg

Also here's a photo of another Heritage I own:

Heritage175.jpg

I would have to agree with you that the E strings are not notched correctly on the bridge. They appear to be far enough away to where you could remove them and turn them around. Another option would be to do a new notch or just replace the saddles.

Beautiful guitars, welcome to the forum!

welcome to the HOC, sir!

p.s., you really are into WWII history, based on your handle! the hedgerows, inland from normandy, in the year 1944. an awful slog, according to the accounts i've read. eljay

Guest HRB853370

Hi everyone! A few weeks ago I purchased a Heritage H150 from eBay that was apparently an employee build (It was one of four that Larry Perkins built for himself). There was a thread about it over in the Bay Watch section, and when I purchased the guitar, I wrote that I would follow up with my impressions.

First off, I must say that I'm very impressed with the build quality of this guitar - it's got a great top carve and the maple cap is pretty thick. The cavity shot below shows the pots and caps:

HeritageLPCavity.jpg

The guitar presently has Seth Lover pickups installed; although I've never used them before, I'd heard great things about them - at this juncture, I'm not entirely sure they're right for me, but I'll give them a few more months before I make decide whether to keep them of change them out.

One curious thing that was quickly apparent to me was the way that the saddles are notched. If you take a look at the photo below, you can see that the two E strings are set pretty far to the outside of the saddle piece. It doesn't seem to affect playability for me (I thought for sure that the strings would roll off of the fretboard), but alignment with the pole screws on both the neck and bridge pickup is pretty off. I've not seen this before - has anyone heard of a reason to do so in terms of performance? At any rate, I was thinking of going with an ABR bridge anyway, so the current one will mostly likely go....

HeritageSaddle.jpg

In terms of overall playability, the guitar is great! It has outstanding sustain and the neck feels good in my hand. The frets are nice and tall, so bending is really smooth. As an owner of 8 Les Pauls from the "Other Guys," I can say that this axe is guitar is easily on par with the reissues I own. I'm very happ with my purchase!

Here's a shot of "Talos" out in the sunshine yesterday. I really is a great looker!

HeritageLPFlame.jpg

Also here's a photo of another Heritage I own:

Heritage175.jpg

Nice looking 150 and 575!!

Hey Bob, welcome to the HoC. Good to have you here, even if it took you buying another Heritage to get you to join! Your Talos looks pretty darned nice. What I like about your comments is that you aren't going to swap out the pickups until you've given them a good go. :thumbsup: As for the bridge -- that is odd looking. We've seen a few oddities with bridge placement, saddle notch, nut notch, etc. Not sure why, tho'. I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Sorry for the grammatical errors - I should have proofread before pressing Post! I haven't figured out how to edit....

Eljay - yes, WWII has been a big part of my life. My Thesis was a study of pre-war U.S. armored doctrine and it's evolution through experience gained in the Cotentin Peninsula during June and July of 1944.

SouthPaw Guy - great idea regarding the saddles! It's so straightforward, I didn't see it!

hmm... that looks like the bridge pickups might not be made for bridge. Even with the wide spacing those strings are not even close to the pole pieces. Could be a neck pickup, or one from a maker that doesn't make neck and bridge versions of their pickups.

Great looking guitars. I was watching 'The Talos" on the auction too. Just couldn't pull the trigger at the time. I'm sure the top looks even better in person:)

Archived