Heritage Owners Club

Special Invitation To New Members

Gitfiddler

I'm hada535. Like my name says "had a" beautiful 535 that I regret selling. My wife arranged a tour of the Heritage factory about 15-20 years ago. It was a great experience seeing all the old equipment like side bending forms, etc., and talking to the guys working. Before I left I got to go in the office and play the big fancy archtop that they took to shows. I believe it was the American Eagle that was on the front of the catalog. I was given a color catalog signed by Ren and also some picks. I immediately drove to Elderly and bought a used 535 for $800. I enjoyed that guitar for several years. I don't remember what the financial emergency was at the time I sold it. While in the tour, I also saw an archtop with Gretsch on the headstock. I'm not sure what the deal was with that, maybe a one-off or maybe Heritage also made guitars for other companies. It was interesting to see where my old Gibson mandolins and guitars were made. I no longer have those, unfortunately. Seems there was another factory upstairs at the time. Been awhile. Highly recommended if they still give tours. 

• Like 2

Hello everyone. Just bought my first Heritage tonight. Thought I would introduce myself. Been playing since I was 8 years old. I've been through a lot of guitars over the years. I am down to 5, now 6, I guess.

I did a lot of investigating before I bought this guitar but I'm hoping for the best. H150 custom core artisan aged dirty lemon. Couldn't find the top I wanted without the aging, oh well.

Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself. This is my virgin run please be gentle! LOL

Edited by Scatterbrain
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, redscl said:

Hi guys, newly proud 150 owner.

I'm from Chile, south america

cheers guys.

Welcome aboard! We like pictures here. ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All!

New member, and proud owner of an H535 I was very fortunate to find (used, see pic!). This guitar has a bit of sentimental value as well. Kalamazoo is just a short drive down the street! I am completely in awe of how amazing it is. It's loaded with the Seth lover pickups, and could not be more impressed with them. 

20230315_093801-01~2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Much as Scatterbrain mentioned above, I've been playing a long time and have had just over 100 guitars that I can remember.  Lately, it's been more about the quality rather than the number of guitars.  I had around 14 a couple of months ago and started paring them down through some trades.  At a local shop (Bet on Vets in the DFW area - great guys!) I traded three lower-priced guitars for a PRS S2 24 Standard that I love.  Through a trade with a local guy I took in a PRS SE Silver Sky which I wasn't expecting to love, but it is a phenomenal guitar!  I still had my JV Modified Strat and Tele, but there were three others that I just never bonded with. 

Went to the Dallas International Guitar Festival a couple of weekends ago and was browsing the amazing inventory of Jimmy Wallace Guitars (located nearby in Garland, TX).  It was there that I saw a rack of Heritage guitars.  I was always interested in the Heritage story and loved Marty Shwartz's 535 (I think) on his early videos.  I had no intention of buying, but my lovely fiance wiped the drool from the corners of my mouth and one of the builders from the Heritage factory asked if I wanted to test drive any.  I spent about half an hour with a 535, but it just wasn't me.  Then he handed me a 530.  Love at first strum!

I didn't have the scratch to buy right then and there, but my amazing fiance (wife in 5 days!) said she'd buy as an early 60th birthday present (on May 27).  I didn't feel right having her plunk down that much money, so on the next Tuesday morning, I contacted the shop and asked if they took in trades.  This past Saturday I brought in a G&L Fullerton Deluxe S-500, a MIM FSR Strat (tastefully modified), and a Squier 40th Anniversary Jazzmaster.  My soon-to-be wife ponied up the balance and I came home with this beauty!  I'm having a hard time putting it down - it's an absolutely stellar guitar!!!

H530.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Heritage owner. H-530's are an excellent platform. I have one in the same color and love it!

Enjoy

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

Groovedoggie,  

Isn't it great when you pick up a guitar and it sings to you?   Nice choice on the 530.  

I still can't get over this one.  I've had enough guitars to have become quite proficient at setting them up.  This one required nothing - there's nothing to improve upon!  Well... I may try some flatwound strings...

10 hours ago, skydog52 said:

Welcome aboard Heritage owner. H-530's are an excellent platform. I have one in the same color and love it!

Enjoy

Thanks for the warm welcome!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I've owned a Heritage guitar since the early 2000s that I bought on ebay.  I'd not picked up a guitar in a lot of years until recently, but I've been playing as much as I can fit into my schedule for the last couple months and my go-to is this heritage and it's gotten me to want to know more about it, as it's a bit of an enigma.   I can't find the exact date, or the details around the purchase because I don't have access to the college email address I used in those days, alas.  The story the seller told then was that the guitar was a prototype that an endorsee was given as a gift, which I was dubious of then and remain skeptical today.  I've recently started playing again and this guitar really thrills me so I'd like to try to unearth it's past.

It has no serial number, and I can't see any physical reason to think a number was removed (I assume that would leave a sign, or discoloration of some sort?), although the idea that that might be the case scares me since it probably wouldn't have been removed for good reasons.

It doesn't match the specs of an h140, but I think it must have been some variation of that?    It's a light (7.8 lb), thin bodied Les Paul style guitar with covered pickups and wasn't ever drilled for a pickguard.   The pickups are Schallers, the tuners are Grovers, and the bridge is stamped Made in Germany.  I can't find any marking in the pickup or electronic cavities that would indicate a date or anything else of that sort to me.  

This guitar is a real beauty.  I struggle to find a burst that compares (to my humble tastes, I'm not all that attracted to the excessively flamed ones), and it plays great (to my limited ability's ability to judge these things).

I've attached a picture of the body- I've got tons more (and can take anything you'd like) of pictures if anything would help.

Thank you for your time.

body.jpg

• Like 1

The story does sound a little fishy; but it is certainly plausible. They've let a few enigmas out the door there over the years. 

If it was indeed a prototype build (or perhaps it was an employee build), then could make sense that it would have some mismatched specs. I'd also think this would likely put it's build date in the very early years of Heritage, 85/86. Just a wild guess though. 

I assume no markings inside the control cavity either? Usually they'd leave a sticker on the plate, but I'm sure you would have seen that since it's sounds like you've had it opened up.  

Maybe post a picture of the front of the headstock and inside the control cavity? Just thinking of anything that might help provide some additional clues. 

Either way, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing!

My old eyes are seeing a different finish on the back of the headstock compared to the back of the neck.  If the back of the headstock was at some point refinished, someone may have decided to do away with the serial number, assuming there was one.  Speculation's free, right?

I hope that's not correct, as it sounds suspicious to me that a refinisher wouldn't try to preserve the SN at all costs  unless there was a (suspicious) reason not to, but your speculation could certainly be valid.

I uploaded all the pictures I took during a recent clean/restring to a google doc if anyone is interested in seeing more.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x8Jfy9AoEyBUWN9UUj2TACJMw7-GAwRh?usp=sharing

I've also reached out to Heritage and am in touch with Ren Wall, so if we figure anything out I'll update.

Seeing the rest of the pictures, I think it looks like it matches up fine; just a trick of the light, and/or the neck may have remained a little glossier from being essentially "hand" polished over time by playing. I also couldn't imagine that someone would sand the back of the headstock like that, but then taking the time to get it re-stamped with the "made in". 

Will be interesting to hear what Ren thinks

I'm thinking maybe an employee build, although the guys certainly could have done a one=off special for a friend.   The dot neck would be either from an H140 or maybe an H150P.   They should use the same neck.   Is the body mahogany or poplar?  I thought the 150Ps were pretty light.

The Made in Germany tailpiece suggests Schaller gear.   The pickups are definitely Schaller.   Everything  on it looks typical of Heritage builds from the early days.  

Maybe it was an early prototype build for the H-150 style guitar that was later sold off.   Hopefully Ren or maybe Jim will remember the story.  

Hi folks,

Sweden here,

Im new here and I have just got my Heritage Custom H-150 delivered.

I have always owned and played many Gibson Custom Shops, but lately my eyes have started to lean towards Heritage. So I thought, why not buy one. After all it’s the roots to Gibson.

Im blown away how well built this one is, the quality, the form factor on the neck. The top on this one has the Angel Stepping. 3.8 kg.

I haven’t been able to try it yet. I will as soon as I’m home again ?

Amazing guitars Heritage!

Best Regards

Daniel

• Like 2

Ren's take was:  
"The finish on back of peg-hd is satin or 4-0 steel wooled. It may have been a second stamped #2 and maybe serial number and #2 was sanded or buffed off. Don't know but the back and entire finish should be hi gloss buffed and not dull as shown in the pictures.

With no lable, no serial number and a dull finish, it looks like an original, was altered."

I don't know that I 100% agree, seeing it in person, since the "Made in Kalamazoo" bit wasn't rubbed off at the same time and there's no discernible difference in the finish in that area vs. where the number should be, but I admit he's the expert and I'm not!   I'll bow to his wisdom and chalk it up to mystery.   A bit sad that I won't be finding out more of this guitar's history, but that's okay too.   
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I’m a new Heritage Custom Core h150 tobacco sunburst owner, first Heritage guitar.  I’ve had it less than a day so won’t provide observations yet, other than to say I really appreciate the overall quality and thought that went into this. 

-JJ

Edited by JJPHIN
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just joined this forum as I have my first Heritage coming this week.  

Wasn't planning on buying a new guitar anytime soon but then I saw the limited run of CC H-150s in Cadillac Green that have recently hit some shops.  Got the chance to play one over the weekend and was quite impressed.  Have one on the way to me now and am excited to get my hands on it.  

• Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 5:44 PM, slide13 said:

Just joined this forum as I have my first Heritage coming this week.  

Wasn't planning on buying a new guitar anytime soon but then I saw the limited run of CC H-150s in Cadillac Green that have recently hit some shops.  Got the chance to play one over the weekend and was quite impressed.  Have one on the way to me now and am excited to get my hands on it.  

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your acquisition.  You will love it! 

Lots of pictures when you get it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and Hope all is well.

Picked up a 2018 H-535 artisan aged today.  It’s an amazing guitar.  Light (7.6), resonant, cool checking and play’s wonderful.  I had a Gibson 59 Custom Shop VOS for a few years and never bonded with it.  It was heavier and the MHS picks ups never worked for me.  I have 3 wonderful vintage Gibson’s (46,57,61) made in the Kalamazoo factory that are stellar.  I feel like this has the same vibe and soul.  I had a chance to compare the H-535 today to many Custom Shop 335s,  Standards and Vintage.  This one took the cake.   Best 535/335 I’ve played and I’m not young :).   Thanks Heritage for making this guitar.  I’ve been looking for one like this for many years.  
My Best, Gunny.IMG_8832.thumb.jpeg.fde8a8949b7a1cb35bc60f3726845cc5.jpeg

• Like 2