Heritage Owners Club

Special Invitation To New Members

Gitfiddler

Thank you for the invite!!!

My name is Robert and I am a huge Heritage fan. Currently I own a 535 and a 575. These guitars are hands down the best of the best, and I've played them all. They unlock the guitar player in me and they are just a blast to play. This is my first post of what I anticipate will me many. 

Playing and enjoying music is something extremely special and has brought me great friends, great times and we are are very fortunate.

• 1 month later...

Hello all! I'm new here and don't generally participate in forums so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I've been a fan of Heritage since 1986 when I learned about the company. In 1985 I was 25 years old, playing actively in the local/regional scene. and I started a guitar shop in Texas. At first I dealt mostly in used and vintage but also some lower end imports brands. Dealing in vintage instruments enabled me to set up at the shows around Texas. By 1989 I was aware of Heritage but hadn't yet become a dealer. While exhibiting at the Dallas show that year, a guy stopped at my booth because he noticed my dobro brand resonator and was at the show looking for one. He was toting a Heritage H-535 for trade. We struck a deal and even though I've sold countless rare vintage pieces thru the years, I held on to this guitar. 

It's special not only because it's such a fine instrument. It's also the documented first ever production model 535. I'll post a scan of the letter signed by Bill Paige reflecting this. Also, the dealer this was shipped to had a shop in Waco, TX. This shop was a huge dealer for Heritage at that time and honestly, seeing them at a previous show was how I became aware of them. We spoke regularly at the shows. One of those times, I mentioned that I had a first production model Heritage. He looked at me and said "you have a blonde H-535". Shocked, I asked him how he knew that and he replied "it's the only first production model I've ever let go". For years after that when I saw him at a show he would ask "are you taking good care of my guitar?". I expected to see references to him on this site but a search of his name brought nothing up. I figure a lot of members here know who I'm speaking of.

Best I recall I became a dealer for Heritage by late 1989...maybe early 90. Not only did my shop sell quite a few, I ordered some amazing models for my own collection. Sadly a divorce necessitated a mass liquidation of my personal guitars. I'm talking about a Johnny Smith The Rose circa 1990 and many others. With the exception of a 550 that I custom ordered for myself (with upgraded figuring) I have no idea where any of those are today but still miss them. I do plan to approach the guy who has my old 550 and try to get it back.

I closed my shop in 2015 and am now semi retired. The last 10 years of operation really sapped the "guitar player" in me. I got to the point I didn't play much outside of store demos. Finally last year I began to play more...and more. Anyway, the reason I found this forum is that I'm now working on a music project with a writer in upstate New York. The current song calls for a semi hollow tone. So for the first time since around 1996, I restrung the 535 and recorded with it a couple days back. Going to try to get the final track tonight. This guitar rings like a bell and is as much of a joy to play today as when I first brought it home around 30 years ago. 

This guitar is not for sale and will never be. I have a grown daughter who plays and has some nice pieces in her collection. That's where this will go one day. I'm truly humbled to be the guy who owns this guitar. I hope my new friends here enjoy the story!

H-535-001.jpg

H-535-002.jpg

H-535-005.jpg

H-535-011.jpg

H-535-012.jpg

H-535-014.jpg

H-535-008.jpg

H-535-010.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, pressure said:

Wowsers! Great story about a Fab guitar.

Thanks so much! For me it's really neat to be using it again! The opportunity to buy and sell guitars like this are what inspired me to open my shop. Now as things have slowed down, my passion has come back!

11 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Hey TXmike59, welcome to the HOC!  And thank you for the back story on that beautiful H535 #1!!

Don't be a stranger.

I appreciate the hospitality. Being on this forum has motivated me to reach out to the guy who has my 550. If I get it back, I'll post pictures! 

1 hour ago, TalismanRich said:

I'm loving that story, Mike!  Its always good when you start to find the passion again for something you have loved doing in the past.

The guitar looks to be in IMPECCABLE condition.    

It was a sad day when I realized that my passion had become my "job". Music retail is a different business than it was in the mid 80's. I miss the interaction with customers and definitely miss getting my gear at cost! I feel that this project has brought me full circle. 

As for the guitar, it is as fresh as you could ever find. Very small spot of hanger rash on the back edge of the headstock  (there since I began my stewardship of the instrument) but zero play wear or cosmetic issues. The shot of the back has some glare but yes, it's flawless! 

I played in a church band....more accurately a complete orchestra, for a time around the mid 90's. It was a great experience working with keys, strings, brass and woodwinds. Those were the only times this or the 550 I mentioned ever got play time....until recently!

My name is David.  I own several guitars including an early 90's Martin HD-28, an early 90's Fender American Stratocaster, an early 90's Guild GF30 BLD acoustic , a 1970's Guild F212 twelve-string acoustic, a 1984 Takamine classical guitar, a 1970's Dobro Square Neck dobro, a Kentucky F5 mandolin, and several various "beach guitars".  The pride of my collection is a 1995 Heritage H-537 in vintage orange.  I look forward to joining in on the discussions in the forum.

184AF41E-1C03-4743-AC71-D43C605B7C6D.thumb.jpeg.741e50e4b53a249589c62d0532760145.jpeg 

Edited by DavidT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, DavidT said:

My name is David.  I own several guitars including an early 90's Martin HD-28, an early 90's Fender American Stratocaster, an early 90's Guild GF30 BLD acoustic , a 1970's Guild F212 twelve-string acoustic, a 1984 Takamine classical guitar, a 1970's Dobro Square Neck dobro, a Kentucky F5 mandolin, and several various "beach guitars".  The pride of my collection is a 1995 Heritage H-537 in vintage orange.  I look forward to joining in on the discussions in the forum.

184AF41E-1C03-4743-AC71-D43C605B7C6D.thumb.jpeg.741e50e4b53a249589c62d0532760145.jpeg 

Fantastic!!!!!!! The H-537 is a very rare bird.

Polo,

Do you have an idea how many H-537's were made?  I tried to contact Heritage via their email page on their website and never received a reply.  I know from the serial number that it was made on October 3, 1995 (Tue) and it was the 3rd guitar finished that day.  Mine, I believe is a CUSTOM guitar because of the ebony fretboard and block inlays.  I was told by the guy at Sam Moss Music in Winston Salem, NC where I bought the guitar in 1996, that it was ordered by a customer that never picked it up.  He also told me that it had "out-of-phase" wiring on the tone controls that was requested by the customer.  I was wondering if the fact that it's different than the regular H-537 it may be even a more rare find.  I've heard (un-verified) that Heritage made only 25 of the H-537 guitars.  Any knowledge you have in the topic would be greatly appreciated.

David

15 hours ago, DavidT said:

Polo,

Do you have an idea how many H-537's were made?  I tried to contact Heritage via their email page on their website and never received a reply.  I know from the serial number that it was made on October 3, 1994 (Monday) and it was the 3rd guitar finished that day.  Mine, I believe is a CUSTOM guitar because of the ebony fretboard and block inlays.  I was told by the guy at Sam Moss Music in Winston Salem, NC where I bought the guitar in 1995, that it was ordered by a customer that never picked it up.  He also told me that it had "out-of-phase" wiring on the tone controls that was requested by the customer.  I was wondering if the fact that it's different than the regular H-537 it may be even a more rare find.  I've heard (un-verified) that Heritage made only 25 of the H-537 guitars.  Any knowledge you have in the topic would be greatly appreciated.

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Longtime Heritage owner here, but rarely visit forums anymore-- back in the early 90's I bought a few Heritage models- one was a black beauty H-147 that I sold to a member here...had a translucent green Prospect that really sang, gave that to a friend regretted it ever since...then had a 2001 Millenium that also sang even better than the Prospect! But sold that during rough part of business-owning life, and of course really regretted letting that one go ever since! 

Then I found a young custom guitar builder out of Athens GA, he agreed to build me a super-hollow LP style guitar with Bigsby (I was really after Neil Young/Danial Lanois tones) but no F-holes, and I prefer 1.75" wide nut sizes these days...he came up with a AAA ebony board for it too. He carved the top beautifully, but then things started going south...the scale length was correct, but he couldn't fit the Bigsby on it, so I got a short trapeze on it, then the vintage amber finish turned out to be more like a transparent brown...all kinds of detail dings and binding screw ups but dammit the thing sounds amazing! During the time of the screw ups however a Heritage 158 popped up on Reverb. So to hedge my bet on getting a great hollow-LP toned guitar one way or the other I pounced on the 158...It sounded rather strange when I got it so I popped out the pickups as they weren't stock- turns out they were Wolfetones and had been reversed during install by some ding-bat tech; neck model in bridge position and vice versa! Also simultaneously to this I met a great guitar tech in Austin so I decided to have him swap out the Wolfetone PAF's from the Heritage and install the Burstbucker #1 & #2 in the Millenium from the LP guitar. The Wolfetones really sounded more like the '57 Classics than the sweeter and more transparent Burstbuckers to my ears, and right away it was more Warren Haynes than BB King. Then I noticed that inside the upper F-hole was a "Custom Shop" sticker! I figured the no-position markers was a request but then it started making sense. Premium rosewood board; Tone Pros bridge and tail pc, bone nut etc. Maple ply back vs carved out mahogany etc. Serial number is W 28005. Frets are perfect. And of course now I'm playing more bass than guitar so this poor thing sits in the case! I'm probably going to sell it here-- if anybody is a Millenium fan/expert please feel free to get in touch.

Cheers

Alex

sunny Austin Texas

IMG_1039[1].jpg

H158_2006.jpg

H158.jpg

• Like 1

Hi.
I'd like to introduce myself.
My name is Jon Mikel and I live in Bilbao, Basque Country, Europe.
I cannot be considered a full member of this club because I do not own or have owned any Heritage but I am in the process of becoming one.
I would like to purchase a second hand H-150 from a member of this forum or through any of the websites advertised here.
In the spring of 2019 I will cross the pond and spend a week in NYC on vacation. My idea is to make the deal online before traveling, make the payment, either by paypal, or by bank transfer, that the seller sends me the guitar to the hotel where I'm going to stay and bring it in the cabin of the plane on the return trip to avoid possible damage in transport and save me the cost of shipping to Europe.
I know that it is risky to buy it without first having tried it but by the comments I read on the net, I think I have little chance to make a mistake. My initial idea was to go for a Gibson standard but after a little research on the Internet I have seen that, on the one hand are overvalued and on the other, people say that the quality of the Heritage is superior.
I have all winter to choose one that I like. (I'm warning you I can't stand black sunburst).

Any suggestion will be welcome.
Salud y R'n'R for everyone.

• Like 1