Heritage Owners Club

Special Invitation To New Members

Gitfiddler

Hi,

Let me introduce myself. I have been a guitar player for over 50 years. (I started _very_ young because both my parents played.) Around 25 years ago, I started shopping at "The Classic Axe," in Manassas, Virginia. (It has since moved to Gainesville, Virginia.) CA was the first Heritage dealer I ever ran across. I immediately fell for Golden Eagles, Super Eagles, and Johnny Smith The Rose guitars. I decided that I would get one, at some point. (I was a committed Gibson archtop guy.)

Last year, after 30 years of playing a vintage Gibson, I sold it for my 2001 Super Eagle. The last year has been a great year of playing archtop guitar. The guitar is superbly made. It is wonderfully playable. It is, of course, beautiful. Does anyone apply a shaded finish better than Heritage? I doubt it. I bought my guitar from the late Patrick2 (Patrick D'Amato). He was a great guy. I know he generated some controversy here with his strongly held opinions, but I assure you that he was a super and caring guy. The guitar used to be owned by Marty Grass, too.

I play jazz, country, blues, pop, and whatever people ask for. I grew up as a fan of Merle Travis and the West Coast hot shots. However, I also played a lot of Chet. Of course, I got my head turned around by all of the great jazz players, too. These days, when I am not performing blues and jazz (that doesn't get too far away from the melody), I enjoy playing chord melody around the house.

The forum is great. I actually joined before the closure/reopening, but didn't post much--mostly read.

Here is a picture of my Super Eagle when it was owned, I believe, by Marty Grass:

med_gallery_2472_317_42919.jpg

Welcome to the HOC and congratulations on that well travelled, gorgeous Super Eagle.

I've admired (and lusted after) that one ever since Patrick and Marty owned it.

Play it in good health!!

Tim

Joined this forum several months ago as a means to learning about Heritage guitars. I had intention to pickup a 535. Last Friday I drove over to Kalamazoo to Kal-Tone and purchased this beauty. Met some fine people, fell in love with the town and came home with this fine instrument,

IMG_0739_zps7ndg51th.jpg

Joined this forum several months ago as a means to learning about Heritage guitars. I had intention to pickup a 535. Last Friday I drove over to Kalamazoo to Kal-Tone and purchased this beauty. Met some fine people, fell in love with the town and came home with this fine instrument,

IMG_0739_zps7ndg51th.jpg

Fantastic! Welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I posted when I put a few pix up in the gallery but somehow the post and two of the photos didn't make it... Weird, but I'm in Trieste and the internet connections aren't so hot! Anyways, in a nutshell, my first 'real' guitar in the early '80s was a light sunburst Hofner semi from the early '60s, soon traded for my current main axe, a '63 SG-shaped LP. Since then I've been in the market for another semi, tried Gibbos, Grechies and Guilds but never found one I liked, and could actually afford! Some 175s, but they played like crap, though a few L4s and L5s almost tempted me to sell my '63... I tried a Heritage 535 at a vintage guitar show, nice neck, and though I wanted one like my old Hofner it luckily got me looking into the marque. No wonder I've never been happy with more recent Gibbos, I'd always assumed mine was from Nashville...

Kalamazoo, eh? OK, I gotta plan a PSP now that I have two from the same place!

After a long series of trades, among which a '68 SG (could have carved a pig trough from the neck), morphed into a '96 LP (unbalanced and untuneable) and then into a real nice '83 Strat (but it was still a Strat, right)... and then this guy just ups and offers me a 1990 H-575 in this Almond Sunburst that just sings next to my '63! Plays like fire, rather thin 42mm nut width, could use some neck binding, and balanced like no other semi-acoustic I've ever tried, not that I've tried that many semis, but still, one hot guitar! Loving it, and getting into the forums here, so much to learn! OK, been too long with this iphoon in my hands, back to the frets!

Welcome to the group, Gattart. I'm glad to hear that you found one that speaks to you! Its a great feeling when you pull it out of the case and after a strum, the music just starts to flow. The bigger bodied guitars have a whole different vibe compared to the Strat or the SG. You'll probably find it pulling you in directions you never thought you would go, which is a great thing.

Enjoy!

Hello everyone, Just last week my Heritage H-157 Trans Black from 2002 came in the mail to me in The Netherlands and I couldn't be happier. Been playing for about 17 years and been wanting a quality instrument for even longer. This is my first "expensive" guitar and I love it like a baby already. The trans black seems to change color under different lighting circumstances, going from deep black to grey to almost brown in sunlight, which is just great. I like to play post-hardcore & progressive stuff. Currently on the lookout to form/join a band again.

Why I love Heritage? Well, of course the quality and craftsmanship. But also the brand being relatively unknown & original. I just love the minimal headstock and the handwritten logo. Plus the fact that the guitars seem to be rising in value.

I'm going to replace the roller bridge and schaller tailpiece with a "regular" tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece from Graph Tech (Resomax) and will be replacing the Schaller Golden 50 humbuckers with a Bare Knuckle Black Dog in the bridge and probably a humbucker sized p90 variant in the neck.

Picture! :love5:

heritage.jpg

Edited by mthoogvliet

heritage.jpg

Awesome 157!! It looks great. Welcome!

Others may say different, but I say good move on replacing the Schaller bridge and TP.

Also, I may be wrong with this, the pickups installed in your guitar don't appear to be Schaller pickups. I'm under the impression that Schaller pups have two screws per side holding them to the ring while yours only have one per side.

Enjoy it!!

Awesome 157!! It looks great. Welcome!

Others may say different, but I say good move on replacing the Schaller bridge and TP.

Also, I may be wrong with this, the pickups installed in your guitar don't appear to be Schaller pickups. I'm under the impression that Schaller pups have two screws per side holding them to the ring while yours only have one per side.

Enjoy it!!

Thanks! I just popped them out to check, definitely Schaller.

pickups.jpg

Oh yes, going from playing only electrics since my busking days in the '80s, this semi is giving me the physical response of an acoustic with the playing feel of my SG! I even brought her to a practice session on my bike, luckily I have a nice thick soft back pack case for cello, though I did make the trip at walking speed...

I think I managed to upload the pix properly this time, here's one being inspected by our cat Jack Junior:

post-22204-0-58628900-1449611669_thumb.jpeg

The one I took of of my wife when she saw another guitar in the house is a bit too rude to post :(

Though even she couldn't fault the colour, almond sunburst is just too beautiful! She's looking to be 'Alma' ('Soul' in Spanish and Italian) from now on!

There are a couple of things I meant to ask peoplez here, first off is if anybody can confirm that this is the original pickguard for a 1990 H575? I've never seen, or noticed really, a guitar with a rosewood pickguard. I removed the pickguard when I first got her, but now I've put it on again, will have to try some more polish to get it to match the fretboard a bit more...

post-22204-0-25640100-1449611671_thumb.jpeg

Then about the pickups, Schallers, they sound fantastic but they have, and righteously do so, a very smooth 'jazzy' sound to them. I'm used to the T-Tops and Burstbuckers in my other guitars but I have a distinct feeling that I'd be getting too much feedback since I play a rather hot amp, clean but easy to get a nice bite when I push it. Has anybody tried swapping their Schallers for Burstbuckers or some other low-output unpotted pup? As it is now, the breakup is perfect even with the same EQ settings that I use for my SG, it just could use some more raspy bite to it. You cannot just EQ that into the sound. I thought I could get it with a pair of Burstbuckers (a #1 for the neck and a #2 in the bridge), but before I start taking her apart, I wanted to know if anybody had this feedback problem I'm worried about.

All for now, should be playing her at a sort of artsy impro thing on Friday so if it's too bad I'll post some vids…

Take it easy people!

• Upvote 1

Hello there. My name is Doug, I live in Austin. The first Heritage I had was a 140 back in the early 90's. It was ok, but I was under the spell of Gibsons. Fast forward, now my main guitar is a 2003 (nov 10th, first of the day) H-150. Beat but sweet. I'll post sound clips later. Thanks for having me as a member!

post-22218-0-20922200-1449755134_thumb.jpg

Hello there. My name is Doug, I live in Austin. The first Heritage I had was a 140 back in the early 90's. It was ok, but I was under the spell of Gibsons. Fast forward, now my main guitar is a 2003 (nov 10th, first of the day) H-150. Beat but sweet. I'll post sound clips later. Thanks for having me as a member!

That is certainly a player's guitar. Welcome!

Hi, I was directed to here from the Jazz Guitar forum. I am soon hoping to be an owner, I have been playing guitar for 40 years in bursts and lulls. I have been focusing on learning jazz for the last 15 years. I have family connections at Kalamazoo and Battle Creek but still have not had the chance to visit/tour the Heritage plant (hopefully soon). Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, my name is Mike!

I just bought a heritage H-150 LW (though I didn't know it was chambered at the time, that was a surprise). It's a used one that was originally sold by wolfe, has the case, certificates etc... somebody yanked the stock pickups and put in some WCR Fillmores.

Anyways, I been playing for over 40 years now, and have owned numerous les pauls, including 70s, 80s, 90s, and millennials too, both production and custom shop. At some point I just felt like my gibsons were "worth more than they were worth" and I sold them. lol. I guess the word I was looking for was "overvalued".

I've played some heritages over the years - but this is the first one I bought. Well, actually I traded a black prs mccarty standard for it. I was after a big fat 50's neck, and this guitar has a great 59 carve. The McCarty was a weenie carve in comparison. The H-150 neck is spectacular. I am pretty sure this guitar, a black and tan, belonged to a forum member here - I get lots of hits on black and tan with WCR Fillmores from this website.

I'm struggling with the tone - but I think it's all the swaps that have happened to the guitar, so I am going to post in the normal forums and get some advice on pulling it back together.

Just thought I'd be polite first and say, hello!

Mike C

Chandler, AZ

A BIG WELCOME to all of the new HOC members from all around the world!!

Heritage is a very special guitar company, making incredible instruments. The company is going through an interesting time at the moment, but they're still pumping out great guitars for us. (Check out the Winter NAMM thread).

Let's see more of your amazing guitars and tell us all about them. Each one is unique...kinda like each of us! :icon_smile:

Cheers! :icon_salut:

Gitfiddler

Hi, I was directed to here from the Jazz Guitar forum. I am soon hoping to be an owner, I have been playing guitar for 40 years in bursts and lulls. I have been focusing on learning jazz for the last 15 years. I have family connections at Kalamazoo and Battle Creek but still have not had the chance to visit/tour the Heritage plant (hopefully soon). Cheers.

I just bought a heritage H-150 LW (though I didn't know it was chambered at the time, that was a surprise). It's a used one that was originally sold by wolfe, has the case, certificates etc... somebody yanked the stock pickups and put in some WCR Fillmores.

Anyways, I been playing for over 40 years now, and have owned numerous les pauls, including 70s, 80s, 90s, and millennials too, both production and custom shop. At some point I just felt like my gibsons were "worth more than they were worth" and I sold them. lol. I guess the word I was looking for was "overvalued".

I've played some heritages over the years - but this is the first one I bought. Well, actually I traded a black prs mccarty standard for it. I was after a big fat 50's neck, and this guitar has a great 59 carve. The McCarty was a weenie carve in comparison. The H-150 neck is spectacular. I am pretty sure this guitar, a black and tan, belonged to a forum member here - I get lots of hits on black and tan with WCR Fillmores from this website.

I'm struggling with the tone - but I think it's all the swaps that have happened to the guitar, so I am going to post in the normal forums and get some advice on pulling it back together.

Mike C

Chandler, AZ

Welcome! Welcome!

Mike C

Chandler, AZ

Hi Mike, I'm in Chandler as well. Welcome to the asylum!