Heritage Owners Club

Pickups for Millie Ultra Std

lachiron

Hi guys and gals,

Thank you in advance for all of your help. Marv at Heritage is going to build Josh (13 yo on youtube) a Millie Ultra Std w f holes in maple and mahogany (top & body). Working w Jay Wolfe and he has been wonderful putting us together w Heritage builders (owners). Josh is very excited...

Question: what type of pickups should we get?

The choices are Seth Lovers or 59 from Seymour Duncan or anything else we choose...I was leaning towards Chuck Thornton and Collings pups choice in their semi hollows : Lollar Low Wind pups?

Josh really wants the Millie to be a replacement for the Les Paul and he loved the Alnico II Jimmy Page pups he had in the Gibson. He typically likes a hotter pickup in the bridge what do you think???

Lastly since this is going to be a custom build for Josh w D neck profile, any suggestions regarding arched top or back....bridge options, etc. Any recommendations from the experienced Heritage Owners would be very helpful. I will call Dan Greenberg myself first.

Thx

Dr. Len Achiron

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best PAF pickups made, I have tried most, are Throbaks (original Gibson winders and hand wound to exact specs). They aren't cheap, but they are the best.

I don't think this is as big of a decision as some might think. The guitar has a control cavity so pickup swaps are pretty easy. A 13 year old who keeps playing and keeps this guitar will probably change his mind a few times over the next 80 years.

Everyone has a pet PAF. All you'll do by asking for opinions is get people arguing. Within a few feet of me now I have Lollar, Fralin, Seymour Duncan, Gibson and Schaller in PAFs. I honestly can say one pair is the best or the worst. but some are certainly more expensive.

I haven't owned Throbaks. They may truly be in a league of their own. I don't know.

My indispensible pup is the Fralin P92. I like it because it is dead quiet, and I really enjoy that silence when it's supposed to be quiet. The P92 sounds absolutely fabulous for clean stuff (jazz) and blues, like a P90 should. I have a few sets and like the heaviest wound best (8500 and 10,000 wraps) because of the rich midrange. http://www.fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp I don't think they would be too bright for a Millie Ultra Std.

Jon gives a nice discount to Heritage. You can email Throbak, let him know what Josh will be playing and you are putting them into a Millie Ultra. He will get back in a day with his suggestion. They don't order the pickups until after it is gets painted so you have time to decide. You son plays Stevie Ray, Benson, Hendrix... just about anything. The Millie has a great range. What color?

Jon gives a nice discount to Heritage. You can email Throbak, let him know what Josh will be playing and you are putting them into a Millie Ultra. He will get back in a day with his suggestion. They don't order the pickups until after it is gets painted so you have time to decide. You son plays Stevie Ray, Benson, Hendrix... just about anything. The Millie has a great range. What color?

Antique Natural like yours of course!! Opinion about Jason Lollar Low Winds??

I don't think this is as big of a decision as some might think. The guitar has a control cavity so pickup swaps are pretty easy. A 13 year old who keeps playing and keeps this guitar will probably change his mind a few times over the next 80 years.

Everyone has a pet PAF. All you'll do by asking for opinions is get people arguing. Within a few feet of me now I have Lollar, Fralin, Seymour Duncan, Gibson and Schaller in PAFs. I honestly can say one pair is the best or the worst. but some are certainly more expensive.

I haven't owned Throbaks. They may truly be in a league of their own. I don't know.

My indispensible pup is the Fralin P92. I like it because it is dead quiet, and I really enjoy that silence when it's supposed to be quiet. The P92 sounds absolutely fabulous for clean stuff (jazz) and blues, like a P90 should. I have a few sets and like the heaviest wound best (8500 and 10,000 wraps) because of the rich midrange. http://www.fralinpic.../humbuckers.asp I don't think they would be too bright for a Millie Ultra Std.

Doesn't your CP Thornton have Jason Lollar Pups? Imperials or Low Winds///

I have a mille arched top & back loaded with Seth Lovers and it is a great guitar

that said, if I could get one with Throbak's I certainly would...!

however any of my faves:

lollar imperials

wolfetone legends

lindy fralins

throback 101 sle or peter green

duncan seth lover

would more than certainly satisfy myself

I just received a Millie Ultra Standard and had them put Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays in it.

Specs are a low wind and I love them. Very articulate versatile pickup.

Check out their sight.

http://www.bareknuck...ups.co.uk/main/

I have checked out the Fralin P-92s, they sound like they would also be nice for jazz.

Even on a solid body, they had the jazz vibe.

I am sure on a hollow body, it would be more suitable for jazz.

Hi guys and gals,

Thank you in advance for all of your help. Marv at Heritage is going to build Josh (13 yo on youtube) a Millie Ultra Std w f holes in maple and mahogany (top & body). Working w Jay Wolfe and he has been wonderful putting us together w Heritage builders (owners). Josh is very excited...

Lastly since this is going to be a custom build for Josh w D neck profile, any suggestions regarding arched top or back....bridge options, etc. Any recommendations from the experienced Heritage Owners would be very helpful. I will call Dan Greenberg myself first.

Thx

Dr. Len Achiron

Hey Doc, that can be an important feature. For aesthetics, and a more hollow body sound, the arched back is the way to go. It really sets the Millie apart as both a rocker and jazz machine. However, with the arched back you loose the access plate for easy pickup and electronics swapping. A flat back Millie will get you closer to the H150 solid body feel. Altho', being in essence a semi guitar, you still get a bit of that hollow body feel. Just not quite as much. I've had both versions, loved both versions. If Josh is going for more of a rocker, then the flat back is probably the way to go. But then, that is just my opinion. The arched back can rock pretty well, too.

All great suggestions for pickups. Another for your consideration is Fralin PAF's. They sound amazing for all styles of music, especially in a semi hollow or solid body instrument.

HRW's are pretty much out of the question since they are no longer available from Heritage. However I'm a big fan of their flexibility and tone.

Here is a Millie Ultra in Antique Natural with Mahogany back with HRW's. Is this the type build you are going for?

http://www.stringinstruments.com/p-1373-heritage-millenium-ultra-custom.aspx

ae00-2336.gif

HRW's are pretty much out of the question since they are no longer available from Heritage.

Are you sure?

I recently ordered ( 3 weeks ago ) a Mille from Jay Wolfe with a single neck HRW.

Are you sure?

I recently ordered ( 3 weeks ago ) a Mille from Jay Wolfe with a single neck HRW.

I read about Heritage no longer producing HRW's here on the HOC...so it must be true. :icon_smile:

If HRW's are still available that is good news. There are many players that like them.

The Millie Ultra HRW in my post above is a n.o.s. from a year or two ago and still for sale.

Are you sure?

Must be NOS.

HRWs are no longer being made.

I have played that guitar. It has been in the shop for about a year. He also has one of the Roy Clark Hall of Fame model and a TV yellow 137, among others.

I just notice he also has a 170LW. Maybe I should run by the store tomorrow while I'm out shopping. It has to be more interesting than my stroll through Guitar Denter today (time to scope out a nice amp stand)

The best PAF pickups made, I have tried most, are Throbaks (original Gibson winders and hand wound to exact specs). They aren't cheap, but they are the best.

Spoke to Jay Wolfe today and he said in a taste test...Seymour Duncans beat out Throbaks by a mile in a unbiased, blindfold test 2 years ago. He did say Throbak was new to market then?? They recommend Seth Lover and SD 59 in bridge...

All great suggestions for pickups. Another for your consideration is Fralin PAF's. They sound amazing for all styles of music, especially in a semi hollow or solid body instrument.

HRW's are pretty much out of the question since they are no longer available from Heritage. However I'm a big fan of their flexibility and tone.

Here is a Millie Ultra in Antique Natural with Mahogany back with HRW's. Is this the type build you are going for?

http://www.stringins...tra-custom.aspx

ae00-2336.gifThat is the one...yes!

Wrote to him yesterday, but he has not answered yet...are you sure we can get Throbak pups for same price as SD59??? Big difference in price $400 vs $170??? Don't really want to spend an additional $200 on PAF pups? Do you think Rendall Wall would do one more HRW for Joshy boy???

Spoke to Jay Wolfe today and he said in a taste test...Seymour Duncans beat out Throbaks by a mile in a unbiased, blindfold test 2 years ago. He did say Throbak was new to market then?? They recommend Seth Lover and SD 59 in bridge...

I have played both and found quite a difference. If you look at my signature below, you will see I find Throbaks superior.

Which ever way you go, I wouldn't go cheap on the pickups. You ordering a $2200 guitar and you are worried about a $200 difference for pickups? Don't go the cheap route or you may regret it. Remember that you should get a credit for stock pickups if you order another brand to replace them.

Good luck and I am sure you are going to have a great guitar soon.

I have a Millie with HRWs in it and love them. I also have an H-150 that was sold as having Seth Lovers, delivered with SD 59s, and soon after swithed over the the Seth Lovers. While i really liked the 59s, and seriously questioned whether I really wanted to make the selling dealer swap out for Seths, I'm glad I had Seth Lovers put in.

It's hard to describe, but they have such a versatile range from sweet jazzy tones to raunchy grind and everything in between. There's a reason they come standard in today's Millie, and other Heritage higher end offerings.

I'd certainly recommend them, tho I've never heard the Throbacks or the Fralins.

I'm happy for your boy. He's got a great guitar coming and a great Dad to enjoy it with.

Archived