Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Patriot... Should I buy?

jboss

I currently own a Fender DRRI that I just cant seem to get enchanted with (had it for 6mos). Ive decided to sell and keep looking. I recently ran across a Heritage Patriot at a local shop and was pretty stunned at the tone. The price is listed at $1200. Seems like a good deal...but I've made some investments I regret before. Then I found this forum. So Im not a Heritage owner...yet. But Im seriously considering it.

How does it fair with pedals? I need to be able to get good OD tones out of it and be somewhat flexible. Im not expecting Vox or Orange.

Good quality build?

Is this a good deal if the amp is in good order?

This may be the wrong place to come for unbiased opinions or maybe I just want some convincing. The things that make me nervous are...the manufacturer is out of business, and I cant find much information about this amp on the net. Pretty astonishing that there are so few reviews for this amp and maybe one or two youtube clips. I tried using the search tool above but couldnt get any hits. Appreciate honest and objective thoughts.

I play blues, alternative, etc. Artists I enjoy are Mayer, Paisley, Tab Benoit, etc. So I dig their tones basically. Appreciate the help.

I have a Patriot. I'd get another one if I had the funds to spare. I love the tones that amp can give, and with the "Mood" control you expand the range of tones even more. I know next to nothing about technical stuff, but I do know that the guy who designed the Patriot has a huge reputation (good, of course); I paid $1200 for mine, in excellent condition, when the economy wasn't as bad as it has been recently, but I still think $1200 today is at least a realistic price, if you consider these are no longer made.

Some day, I want to own a KBP810 amp (talk abut huge reputation), but since you asked about Heritage Patriot amps and I happen to have one, I focused more on it than anything else.

If you bought the Patriot and didn't care for it, if it were in good condition, I would be surprised is someone on here wouldn't scoop it up for little to no loss to you. Good Luck! Oh, and I confirm everyone elses admiration for KBP810s stuff. Plus he's a pretty nice guy...

If you bought the Patriot and didn't care for it, if it were in good condition, I would be surprised is someone on here wouldn't scoop it up for little to no loss to you.

+1.

Thats all fairly encouraging feedback. Anyone who owns one, Im interested in what pedals you use with it that you like. Also technical information: what transformer is stock, caps, etc. The speaker in this one is a Celestion (forgot the model). Any info like that would be appreciated. I want to know what I should expect to see once I start looking it over in detail. That would help me determine if someone has switched out key parts. I believe its a used amp. Again alot of thanks to those taking the time to respond.

At the time I hired him, I didn't know my painter was a former rock guitarist. He took my Patriot amp for a test drive with my H127. Some of this was through a Boss distortion pedal. Somewhere on here, there is a link to the manual, or I can e-mail you the PDF if you PM me.

Here's another Patriot owner.

I've been playing on a Classic 30, a DSL401 Marshall, and and a 1953 National. I wanted something clean with good responsiveness. I tried an Allen Accomplice, but it wasn't the sound I was looking for. The Patriot was at GC in Indy for $900. It had a couple of bad tubes but otherwise in good shape. Plugged in and was AMAZED. Response was immediate, no homogenizing the sound. The mood control really affects the touch sensitivity. Presence control brings a nice bloom to the sound and the reverb is just lush!

Occasionally, I plug into the DSL, and the Classic 30. 90% of the time, its the Heritage.

One note, it's a very powerful amp, and not a master volume control type. Don't expect to be metal overdrive like a Marshall. If you get it up to about 10 on the volume, it will start to grow a bit of hair, but that's plenty loud.

Stock speakers are Celestion G12s. I changed the Groove Tube power tubes to Sovtek. One preamp tube (a bad Jan Phillips) was replaced with a spare I had laying around. It still sounds super!

For pedals, I go pretty lean, a TS9, Deja Minivibe II and sometimes an Vox wah.

At the time I hired him, I didn't know my painter was a former rock guitarist. He took my Patriot amp for a test drive with my H127.

I like the tone he gets from a minute in! :)

Thats all fairly encouraging feedback. Anyone who owns one, I'm interested in what pedals you use with it that you like. Also technical information: what transformer is stock, caps, etc. The speaker in this one is a Celestion (forgot the model). Any info like that would be appreciated. I want to know what I should expect to see once I start looking it over in detail. That would help me determine if someone has switched out key parts. I believe its a used amp. Again alot of thanks to those taking the time to respond.

I had a KBP amp that was like your DRRI without the Reissue part. His amp was more in line with the original designs and parts (no PCB board or micro components). With that amp, I used a Boss ST2 Powerstack as my primary OD channel type pedal to push the amp. That worked very well for me. I'm a blues and classic rock player, so that pedal worked very well for me on that amp. I use both my Heritage H140 (think Les Paul) and a Fender Strat, works great for both. Since you have a DRRI, very little can be done other than swap tubes or replace speakers. KBP leans towards Eminence speakers over Celestion.

Here is some information on the Heritage Patriot for your researching pleasure. (I also recommend getting one...but try to get it down to $1,000)

Here is an owners manual from HOC member, 'rjsanders':

http://rjsanders.com/amps/Heritage%20Amps%20Owners%20Manual%20binder.pdf

Here is one for sale. You can contact the dealer for any info he has:

http://www.imagineguitars.com/amps/heritage/HeritagePatriotCombo.htm

Here is basic background:

http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar%20amp%20dating_h.htm

Craigslist:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/2764983658.html

MusicToyz Forum thread:

http://www.musictoyzforums.com/showthread.php?25411-Awesome-Heritage-Patriot-Amp-by-Paul-Cochrane

i've only seen one 1x12 Patriot & it was a gem. IIRC (iffy) the speaker was a Celestion V30. the 2x12s used a pair of G12H30s.

build quality on all Heritage amps was impeccable. through-dovetail jointing on the cabs, excellent woods, the tolex covering speaks for itself. transformers were all custom-wound Heyboer and Mercury Magnetics, spec'd by the designer Paul Cochrane, a real honest-to-gosh engineer. caps, resistors, pots all top notch. one member here (Shawn Purcell) was part of the small build crew. everybody on the team was a guitar player and i'm told (Graham Z. @ Wolfe) when one amp was finished, they'd all gather around & test & comment & tweak...

to my ear it sounds like the Pro Reverb that should've been. i'm not a big fan of Fender blackface-era amps, got tired of them over the years, but the Patriot has enough "tweed" + MOOD + MIDs + excellent reverb to put it over the top. i'd love to have a 1x12 & swap in a Celestion G12-65, but...

if a pedal doesn't sound good with any Heritage amp, get another pedal :icon_santa:. but it always boils down to personal prefs & taste. if it sounds good to you, then that's that. if not, no amount of quality this&that makes any difference.

$1200 is a steal, imho... :icon_salut: it'll hold with anything 2-3x that amount

Only 1 speaker?

That might be one of the original Patriots. Compare the cabinet to the 2 speaker model to be sure. J.Hale has a little write up on the original/older single speaker model as follows:

The Patriot Patriot2X12Front.jpg

The Patriot delivers 45 Watts of pure American Tube Amp sound from twin 6L6's with a warm low end, sweet top and the famous "scooped mids". This amp offers excellent headroom and a smooth transition into warm overdrive. A straight ahead tone stack allows the player to dial in perfect jazz sound. Reverb comes straight from the tone stack providing a rich, fully EQ’d signal. In addition to the customary Bass, Mid, and Treble controls, a parametric Mid Focus control allows precise selection of midrange frequencies for the preamp mix. Note that the amplifier also has an exclusive Mood control allowing the player to select just the proper amount of negative feedback from the Power Amplifier. Finally, Presence control provides adjustment of the power amp stage for control of those fabulous “tube driven” high frequencies. Configured with either twin 10" or single 12” Eminence Patriot speakers. A stunning gold name and faceplate adorns the front plate. From wide open and very aggressive to more clean headroom with a tighter, focused sound ... its all here !! Dimensions are 20 ” H, 23” W, 10” D.

And more...

http://www.delortoguitar.com/amps.asp

2nd_content_top.gifspacer.gif

amp_burrell_combo_th.gifThe Kenny Burrell

Jazz guitar great Kenny Burrell knows about tone. With over forty years of masterful jazz playing, he sets the bar for many young players to shoot for. Our Heritage “Kenny Burrell” model is not just the amp Kenny endorses, it’s the amp he plays! Two 10” speakers or a single 1x12, and a pair of 6L6’s give this amp it’s warm, round tone. A straight-ahead tone stack allows the player to dial in the perfect jazz sound. A Cherry wood name and faceplate help to distinguish this remarkable amp. spacer.gifamp_liberty_th.gif

The Liberty

Our version of a classic vintage American amp. The Normal and Bright channels are internally jumpered, and can be used independently or blended. This amp features a lush reverb section and 50 watts of pure, fat 6L6 tone! A beautiful head and a 2x12 cabinet make this amp a new classic. The Liberty also includes the “mood” knob. amp_patriot_th.gif

The Patriot

produces 40 watts from a pair of 6L6’s in a single 1x12 combo. A 2x10 version is also available. The tones from the amp range from warm and sweet to mean and aggressive. Perfect for styles ranging from blues, country and classic rock. amp_victory_th.gif

The Victory

The amp is powered by two 6V6 tubes in a single 12" combo with reverb. The tone is rich and full of harmonics. The amplifier is very sensitive to the dynamicresponses of the player. The Victory is an ideal recording and club amp at 20 watts. amp_freedom.gif

The Freedom

produces 45 watts from a pair of 6L6’s in a single 1x12 combo. The interactive tone controls allow the Jazz player to cover sounds ranging from classic “Arch-top” jazz guitar sounds to more modern tones. amp_colonial.gif

The Colonial

A versatile take on a classic 50 watt design. The Colonial uses the same base circuit that has been used in Tweed and Plexi/style amps, but can be setup like a Tweed or a Plexi. The amp allows for EL34’s or 6L6 power tubes. American or English voicing allows for a wide range of tones. amp_britton.gif

The Briton

Think of a top boost amp with reverb that you could use to play “Little Wing”, by Hendrix... the Briton has classic English style chime with a bit of American warmth. The amplifier features four cathode-biased EL84 tubes at 30 watts and is available as a head or as a combo.

By the way, I only parted ways with my KBP amp because of the lack of Master Volume and Mid control. Fender Blackface designs don't have them and I love a lot of dirt when I'm rockin' the blues...

Whereas I only like a bit of bite when I REALLY lean into it. :D

Heritage Patriot and Kenny Burrell owner here.

The Patriot is... well, it is a big-hearted, very smooth and powerful amp. My impression is that it has more "fidelity" than any other tube amp I've ever played, in the sense that it accurately reproduces what you're trying to play. Unless you are playing thousand-person gigs, it's too strong to be cranked.

It is a high-quality item in every sense of the word.

I have some other relatively high-buck amps and most of the time nowadays I'm playing the Patriot or the KB.

Sorry for the lag. Holidays. I bought the Patriot this evening after spending a couple hours at the store playing it with my strat. Guess I am an official member. The amp was NOS...not used as I had thought. 1200 including new tubes (GT but new none the less). I still have my DRRI. Im wondering if its worth doing the recap and transformer upgrades. Dont want to bother if the difference would be minimal. It would still have the PCB of course. Anyone have experience with those improvements?

Thanks again.

Patriot

Archived