Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Patriot... Should I buy?

jboss

Sorry for the lag. Holidays. I bought the Patriot this evening after spending a couple hours at the store playing it with my strat. Guess I am an official member. The amp was NOS...not used as I had thought. 1200 including new tubes (GT but new none the less). I still have my DRRI. Im wondering if its worth doing the recap and transformer upgrades. Dont want to bother if the difference would be minimal. It would still have the PCB of course. Anyone have experience with those improvements?

Thanks again.

Not on a Heritage amp, but I had a KBP RD amp which is more of a real deal 65 Deluxe Reverb than a DRRI amp. Much higher quality amp with no PCB and the best parts available. I've played the DRRI and my old KBP amp sounded much, much better.

Guest HRB853370

At the time I hired him, I didn't know my painter was a former rock guitarist. He took my Patriot amp for a test drive with my H127. Some of this was through a Boss distortion pedal. Somewhere on here, there is a link to the manual, or I can e-mail you the PDF if you PM me.

Good thing you didn't know! He may have charged you double!

Maybe you guys can help me figure out the tubes in the back of this thing. I was trying some different tubes and realized there is an extra preamp tube than shown in the diagram on the inside. The diagram reads like this:

Rectifier (GZ34) 2 Output tubes (6L6) Phase Inverter (12ax7) Reverb Return/3rd Gain stage (12ax7) Input/2nd Gain Stage (12ax7) Reverb Driver (12at7)

However there is an extra one that sits directly behind one of the output tubes. So it should actually read like this:

Rectifier (GZ34) 2 Output tubes (6L6) ??????(12ax7) Phase Inverter (12ax7) Reverb Return/3rd Gain stage (12ax7) Input/2nd Gain Stage (12ax7) Reverb Driver (12at7)

Anybody know what this is? Also what tubes do you like in yours? Mine came with GT and Ive been switching back and forth with JJs. There was also one random Electroharmonix 12ax7 in the Reverb Driver slot (12AT7). Input always much appreciated. I can upload a picture if that helps.

Thats pretty interesting. Look at these pics. My tube layout diagram definitely does not look like yours but my physical tube layout does. Seems like I should follow yours. It would be nice to know what each does however. I like the description mine gives but its the wrong layout obviously. I notice yours is a 2x12 where mine is a 1x12. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thoughts?

Patriot Tube Diagram

Patriot Tubes

Thats pretty interesting. Look at these pics. My tube layout diagram definitely does not look like yours but my physical tube layout does. Seems like I should follow yours. It would be nice to know what each does however. I like the description mine gives but its the wrong layout obviously. I notice yours is a 2x12 where mine is a 1x12. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thoughts?

I bet the difference is the 2x12 vs 1x12...but hey, what do I know!

Heritage Amplification built at least three different versions of the Patriot, AND they took special orders. (Sound familiar?)

Here's a shot I took of my 2x12's interior just after purchase. I couldn't believe how aircraft-precise and clean these things are!

post-8-0-71819000-1325287245_thumb.jpg

Your tubes appear to be the same as the amp in the previous post but they are not arranged in a straight row, same tubes in the same order just staggered and each one has a circuit description.

They do look nicely laid out.

Yeah I agree with you there. My confusion is really in the fact that my diagram says I have 4 preamp tubes when I actually have 5. But Im just going to assume I should be following TalismanRich's diagram? Thats probably what I'll do. Thanks for the input everyone. If someone has some other thoughts, Im all ears.

It could be that they updated the chassis somewhere along the path. Your tubes are definitely laid out the same as mine. I didn't see the reverb send and receive jacks both in the same place. Gitfiddler's looks the same as mine. Looking at the serial numbers, mine is a 3P0, yours is 2P0. Maybe those are revisions. I know there are other small changes. Many have a "bright" toggle switch. On mine its a pull pot. Pull the volume and the bright circuit kicks in.

Just a thought. You might write to Paul Cochrane who designed the amps. He now makes Tim and Timmy pedals. His number is posted on his MySpace page under the "How to order" section. He might be able to tell you.

Let us know what you find.

Considering the rising number of Heritage amp owners popping up here, I hope Paul is encouraged to drop in some time. He posted over at the Gear Page way back during the production run of these fine amps. Those posts from the designer really helped me decide to go after one...and another.

Archived