Heritage Owners Club

Respray or not

apqsy

Hi all,

I have a Blue H357 circa 1990 which needs some TLC.

I think the frets need some attention and pots need replace - not a big problem.

But what do you lot think about respraying the guitar?

The finish on the front and back is ok with only a few scuffs/chips, but round the edges and the back of the neck is worse.

Thoughts..............

Fred zepp,

Yeah same colour but my bridge and stop bar are different.

On my guitar some of the paint under the clear coat looks as if it is breaking up, looks like lots of hairline cracks in the paint.

Not sure what the wood would look like under the paint.

I'll try get some pics up tomorrow.

Probably Schaller bridge and tailpiece...

The cracks are likely in the nitro, a natural result of that finish. Sometimes people will freeze the guitar or use razor blades to try and recreate that "nitro checking" , to get the look of a vintage instrument.

I'd bet it's mahogany under the finish.. but I can't say for sure. If it's got a nice grain and you decide to refinish, it may be nice to pick a finish to show it off.

Thanks for the reply ... pics will be cool to see.

To spray or not to spray, I believe this is the same question my Tom Cat asks himself daily.

that's nitro checking. Looks like it might have been exposed to a rapid temperature change or two to get that level of checking. However almost all nitro guitars check eventually. As the finish outgases and becomes more brittle the natural moisture and temperature related changes in the wood become enough to crack it.

I would say just get some nice gibson pump polish, or virtuoso, and love the thing. At this point there already is probably a fair amount of dirt and oils that have penetrated into the cracks, which means an overspray might not accomplish what you are looking for.

that is a great color though. If it was mine, I wouldn't change a thing.

A few factors to consider:

Many people feel that Heritage Guitars will be very collectable in the the future, the 357 is one of the rarer models within the Heritage line. A refinned guitar will be worth less to a collector than one that has been unmolested & shows it's age so to speak. Personally I like guitars that have natural relicing, they have been played (usually because they sound & feel good) & show the wear & tear of being handled every day.

I think you should sell it to me & get another heritage in the finish you like :icon_jokercolor:

It depends... Are you selling it? Then leave it alone... Are you keeping it? Refinish it.... Heritages have not become collectors guitars because there are very few artists people know that endorse them. They are just a high quality guitar manufacture that only a slim minority enjoy.... Just look at how many members you'll find on Fender's forum versus this one... 471,229 Fender members versus 3,232 HOC members. If we had artists like Clapton, SRV, Glimore, Hendrix, and many more famous guitarists using Heritages, it may increase the value of our guitars because of brand awareness. But thankfully they are not because a lot of us couldn't afford them. Just look how Gibson manages to sell signature models at a steep price and get away with it. I don't think any of us would spend $10,000 to $20,000 on a signed, VOS, aged Les Paul by one of their signature artists...

Back to refinishing... I had mine refinished because its value was already diminished with a headstock repair. Despite the solid job on it, its got its scarlet letter... No one will touch it. That may happen to yours and it may not. I don't think any of us really de-value a Heritage because of a refinish job... You just won't get back whatever you spent on it.

Well, this raises a question related to another recent thread.

If the guitar were to be refinished by the original manufacturer, could it be claimed to be "original"?

I know it's not as it left the factory, but for example if Marv sprayed it the first time and did the re-spray what would be the correct (honest) way to refer to it if it was sold.

How would a buyer/collector react to the factory re-spray? How would it affect the price?

I'm all about original, but if the OEM did the rework I would be cool with it.

Archived