Heritage Owners Club

H535 bought on Ebay

mhhaddon

I pulled the trigger and bought the H535 on Ebay... it was advertised as a 1986, and I thought maybe it might be an extra-early production since they were officially introduced in 1987. Now that it is in my hands, I see the serial # R02904, which puts it at the end of 2001, right? The seller says they'll honor returns for good reason, and I'm 99% sure that I want to send it back and keep looking. The headstock has some pretty serious gashes which I was willing to overlook if it was a very early model. Whatcha think? Paid $1,525.

Seems a bit high unless there are some significant upgrades. I don't know if there will be any advantage on getting early model. I picked up one from 2005 and its a great instrument. Paid $1250 for it on Ebay a few years ago. No gashes, nicks, etc. It was in great shape. I know of a few others that have gone for around the 1300 range. A 555 might pull the extra, as would something with HRWs or some upgraded pickups like Throbacks, etc.

OF course, maybe I just got a whale of a deal. My 535 is one of my favorite, go-to guitars.

I've paid less for guitars, and I've paid much more. If the guitar really speaks to you, that's Priceless!

Just a general statement, but it seems to be that the later the production, the better the guitar. Not that the early ones are bad, they certainly aren't, but it just seems to be that they keep improving as the years go by. At some point that will change, but for now I'd be perfectly happy with a brand new one.

The one you want is out there. It's all about patience, and knowing what you want, not settling for anything else.... I paid $1400 for a '99. A bit high...maybe, but it is the best instrument I've ever owned!

Need some help with this return. The seller is referencing the written initials on the paper tag inside the guitar, in this case "CNSB" which appears just below the model number. Seller says the "C" indicates the year 1986. From my limited knowledge, the real serial number is ink-stamped on the back of the headstock, # R02904. Letter "R" signifies 2001.

Question is, what do those hand-written initials CNSB on the inside of the guitar signify? I need to be able to educate the seller so they know I have a legitimate complaint.

Thanks again guys for your feedback on this. See? Feedback is not always a bad thing :)

Need some help with this return. The seller is referencing the written initials on the paper tag inside the guitar, in this case "CNSB" which appears just below the model number. Seller says the "C" indicates the year 1986. From my limited knowledge, the real serial number is ink-stamped on the back of the headstock, # R02904. Letter "R" signifies 2001.

Question is, what do those hand-written initials CNSB on the inside of the guitar signify? I need to be able to educate the seller so they know I have a legitimate complaint.

Thanks again guys for your feedback on this. See? Feedback is not always a bad thing :)

I believe CSNB is Chestnut Sun Burst. The R is 2001. Send him these links

http://www.heritageg...ritagedate.html

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/info_serials.htm

Excellent info. I am in your debt. Just sent an email to the seller stating my case using these links. It is in fact a chestnut sunburst, but you already knew that!

I hate that I have to send her back so soon, but I just don't feel good about it, given the amount I paid for the 'grade C' condition it is in. Maybe the seller will be open to negotiating a lower price, which I will be fine with... I think.

I was just looking on Ebay at completed listing for 535s. I see the Chestnut burst listed. One thing that I see also is the black dot on the switch. That usually denotes HRW pickups. Does it say that on the label?

Definitely its not a mint guitar. Looks like some pitting on the pickups, and the stoptail looks pretty tarnished. How is the fretwear? That would be another indication about playing time.

DSC06498.jpg

Archived