Heritage Owners Club

PLEK last used at factory?

pcovers

At the first PSP in 2008 the PLEK was already being used as a coat rack. Don't think it's seen use since. Jay Wolfe was sending some out for PLEK'ing. So it's possible if it was purchased thru Wolfe Guitars that it was plek'd.

At the first PSP in 2008 the PLEK was already being used as a coat rack. Don't think it's seen use since. Jay Wolfe was sending some out for PLEK'ing. So it's possible if it was purchased thru Wolfe Guitars that it was plek'd.

Yea, what he said .....

I don't think Jay has to send them out for a PLEK - didn't he buy one for his shop?

That sure sounds familiar now that you've posted that. I know he was sending them out. So, he's doing it in-house, then? Still not truly factory PLEK, tho'.

Re: Wolfe PLEK ..

"Wolfe Guitars is opening an exciting new Wolfe Guitars Shop in Brentwood, Tennessee near the Cool Springs Galleria mall, just south of Nashville. Opening is planned for Feb. 2011. Stay tuned for updates, and please e-mail us your e-mail address for updates online.

Wolfe Guitars has acquired a PLEK Machine for precision Fret dressing and correcting playability issues. Ours is the only PLEK machine in Florida. Stay tuned for more info."

Wolfe Store NEWS

http://www.wolfeguit....php#/text_6/1/

That sure sounds familiar now that you've posted that. I know he was sending them out. So, he's doing it in-house, then? Still not truly factory PLEK, tho'.

Yes but that's not a bad thing. A factory PLEK is generic. If you go to a dealer who has a PLEK machine, he can adjust it to work better with your individual playing style. I had 2 guitars done by Joe Glaser in Nashville, who's the guy who trained most other PLEK dealers in the US. It was significantly better than a generic PLEK job I got from a factory. I think factory use of a PLEK is more for the time saving factor of a production line, vs getting it done especially for you as an individual.

Yes but that's not a bad thing. A factory PLEK is generic. If you go to a dealer who has a PLEK machine, he can adjust it to work better with your individual playing style. I had 2 guitars done by Joe Glaser in Nashville, who's the guy who trained most other PLEK dealers in the US. It was significantly better than a generic PLEK job I got from a factory. I think factory use of a PLEK is more for the time saving factor of a production line, vs getting it done especially for you as an individual.

This. It's not the PLEK (it's just tool) it's the guy running it that makes the difference. All three of my factory PLEK'd Heritages arrived all PLEK'd up and required the hands on touch of Michael Tuttle to get them to play their best.

why did our folks in Kzoo stop using the machine?

Too time consuming and the necks at Gibson are milled to be exactly the same as the next. Heritage hand shapes all their necks so they are not exactly the same from one guitar to the next. The CNC machining of the PLEK requires a full setup for every guitar.

As others have stated, the PLEK is only a tool, and only will produce incredible results in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. They are great for factory setups on guitars that have not settled in and are CNC made, but with more variable guitars, they are not as easy to use. Also, people have been setting up guitars just fine by hand for a very long time. I don't see the PLEK replacing guitar techs/luthiers anytime soon.

why did our folks in Kzoo stop using the machine?

It has nothing to do with the necks.... Plek company promised Heritage thousands of dollars worth of software upgrades if they bought a Plek machine and Plek did not live up to their offer. So the boys at Heritage said screw you we have been doing it for 40 yrs by hand and continue to do it this way.

We can discuss if this is the right way to do the best fret job possible, but this is the real reason why Heritage doesn't use their Plek machine.

I thought all newer Heritage guitars were PLEKed. Gee whiz. That's a bit dissapointing. Not that I could ever tell the difference or anything.

You probably wouldn't. Gibson quality has gone way down, the PLEK machine may be a way they combat that without reducing production levels.

I thought all newer Heritage guitars were PLEKed. Gee whiz. That's a bit dissapointing. Not that I could ever tell the difference or anything.

If you buy your new Heritage from Wolfe's there is a good chance it was Plek. But like others have said, an aftermarket Plek is better because it will take into consideration your personal playing style and the action you use. And also if you can't tell the difference, well then does it really matter?

I think that"s true (About a factory plek being generic) But my ASAT Classic has a factory plek job on it, and it's the best playing guitar I've ever owned..My 2 cents

I think that"s true (About a factory plek being generic) But my ASAT Classic has a factory plek job on it, and it's the best playing guitar I've ever owned..My 2 cents

I agree with you!!! I have gotten flamed like crazy here talking about how GREAT a good Plek job is. I especially feel the aftermarket/customized Plek are superior. If it was up to me, I would prefer all my guitars came with Plek finished frets from the factory, and if it needed tweaked to my action then my luthier (who owns a Plek machine) could do just a quick minor adjustment on his Plek machine.

The problem is that most people have never played a custom/Aftermarket Plek'd guitar, but yet they still say they don't need it or can't tell the difference. Yet they have never play a before and after Plek's guitar.

Guest HRB853370

I have a plek'd Gibsum LP Trad and I gotta tell you the action is suberb. Not that I would really know the difference but to me, it is as good as it gets. I would sell it before a Heritage though.

Because they had no where to hang their coats.

Probably some truth to this as well!!! LOL

Archived