Heritage Owners Club

Changing pickups in a H 555...

brentrocks

...is a BITCH!

I wanted to try a set of TV Jones pickups in the green 555....i had a burst of ambition today to give it a try.

I started by removing the strings, hardware, pickguard, etc....

IMG_2547.jpg

Then attached dental floss to all the units (which i ended up taking off because they got tangled)

IMG_2548.jpg

Pulled out the harness and un-soldered the old schallers

IMG_2549.jpg

Put in the TVs and soldered them to the harness

IMG_2550.jpg

After fighting with the harness for nearly an hour, I finally got everything back and tight

IMG_2551.jpg

Then put everything back together, including new Tone Pros hardware and locking Grovers

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

Guest HRB853370

That 3rd picture looks like a Clusterf*** if I ever saw one. You have much more ambition and patience than I do Brent. You are really a Luthier and you just do not know it yet. Another good job.

I had 1 bad moment in the whole swap....when i was pulling out the schaller tailpiece stud, i chiped the paint by the treble side tailpiece hole....i glued it back down though

I WAS MAD!!!

Well done Brent - takes nerves of steal to work in those f-holes for the first time!

After you get the hang of doing it once it gets a lot easier the second/future times - I still just always get nervous about scratching and/or dripping hot solder on the top in the process (or to a lessor degree dropping a nut/washer and having to try and fish it back out)

Guest HRB853370

Well done Brent - takes nerves of steal to work in those f-holes for the first time!

After you get the hang of doing it once it gets a lot easier the second/future times - I still just always get nervous about scratching and/or dripping hot solder on the top in the process (or to a lessor degree dropping a nut/washer and having to try and fish it back out)

I see you are a veteran at this too Brian!! What don't you do?

He had some practice on my Epiphone...

And a 535 and a 575 before that

I see you are a veteran at this too Brian!! What don't you do?

I don't do windows!

I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse... but curiosity paired with a "hey, I bet I can do that!" attitude are my main driving factors - I don't think you'll see me repairing headstock breaks like Brent anytime soon though!

Nicely done Brent.... Sometimes that $75 bucks is worth it from the luthier, but hey you don't need no stinking luthier.

RS guitar works makes a "piggyback" semi-hollow wiring harness that allows you to unsolder the pups and leave everything else intact.

I have changed the pups at least 3 times on my 555 and that wiring harness was worth every penny for the ease of installation.

Bravo! MAke sure you tie the pieces of floss back together and stuff it back in the dispenser. The Mrs. will look at you funny for the next couple days; don't fess up.

Nicely done Brent.... Sometimes that $75 bucks is worth it from the luthier, but hey you don't need no stinking luthier.

RS guitar works makes a "piggyback" semi-hollow wiring harness that allows you to unsolder the pups and leave everything else intact.

I have changed the pups at least 3 times on my 555 and that wiring harness was worth every penny for the ease of installation.

Is that lead extensions, similar to this? or something more sophisticated?

b08a70de.jpg

Archived