Heritage Owners Club

New (to me) H150 and some upgrade questions

1693power

I just recently picked up this H150 which was for sale online. This is my first Heritage, and my only guitar right now, after years of owning lots of Nashville and Kalamazoo-made instruments. Though its a little hard to pin down, it appears to have a 'V' serial no., so a 2005. It seems like it has more playing time on it than that. If it is 7 years old, it must have been gigged quite a bit.

The guitar has Kent Armstrong pickups in it. I suspect these have been changed. Or did Heritage ever offer these from the factory? I've started to make a few minor changes to the hardware, including the switch indicator plate and amber tip. I might change out the switch to a genuine switchcraft, so I can use the recesset top nut. I put those old reflector knobs on the instrument, just to be a little different. I'm using up the stuff I'd had laying around for years. I would like to change out the Gotoh Nashville style bridge for an ABR-1 style. Would this guitar have come new with Gotoh bridge and tailpiece?

Thanks

post-7471-0-14039800-1344968159_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard. Beautiful top. Looks like an Ultra Top.

Pickups probably changed out but Heritage is a custom shop.

Great looking axe. More pics please!

I had not really been in the market for a Heritage,but I was starting to look at LPs quite a bit. I've come to the conclusion that like the housing bubble, I think there may be a 'Les Paul bubble' these days. Prices are strong and there's lots of them on the market. When I saw the top on this H-150, I knew that I would not be able to touch that sort of figured top and build quality for less than $2,500+ from a Nashville guitar. And I happened to be fairly local to the Lutheran Minister that had this instrument. So, I went to see him and checked it out firsthand. I picked up this guitar for the cost of an average black LP Standard. I will get more pics soon. I ordered a cream jack plate for it, knob pointers, and I am kicking around putting a set of Faber INsert bridge posts in it, so I can put a nickel ABR-1 on it. The jury is still out on the pickups. I pulled the cover off the treble pickup. I am happier with that pickup than the neck pickup, which is still a bit muddy.

Guest HRB853370

Nice guitar ! Re the Kent Armstrong pickups I've seen a lefty Prospect online with those fitted from the factory.

Wouldn't a left handed Prospect be called a Tcepsorp?

Will people yell at me if I put an LP-shaped pickguard on the H150? If the Kent Armstrong is not to my liking, I might find something I do like in a Zebra coil for the treble p/u, but keep a cover on the neck p/u.

Will people yell at me if I put an LP-shaped pickguard on the H150?

doubt it, most of us are not that way. but, the forum does offer the "international hi sign" emoticons should the need arise.

Congrats on your new guitar. Was hoping you might be able to help me identify my own new (to me) Heritage or point me in the right direction. Not sure if it's an H-140 or H-150. All the 140s and 50s I've seen have retangular inlays in the fretboard and mine are dots. I believe it's an '87 but not sure if that is relevant. Sorry to ask but don't know where else to go. Tried to attach a pic but reducing the file size to allow attachment made it too blury to help. Hope you enjoy your new guitar.

Will people yell at me if I put an LP-shaped pickguard on the H150?

If they want to yell, let em' yell. I re-tooled a buddy's 150 pickguard and we could care less what everybody else thinks.

Twojohnwt, this 150 is 1/4 inch thinner than a standard 150 and has dots. It is called a 150 special. It is very light weight and very loud unplugged.

img_2304_std.jpg

A few more pics per request. This instrument has a very plain 2-screw truss rod cover. It is squared off and trapezoidal. I would be inclined to put a more traditional bell-shaped cover on it, but the hole spacing is just about 3/16" shorter on the guitar than on the various bell shaped covers I have in my pile of stuff. I don't like the idea of any new holes. Cutting one from scratch is too time consuming, and it would come out so-so. Has anyone found an extra-long one to cut down, or one with shorter than normal spacing? I figure this has likely come up on this forum before.

Oops, sorry about the duplicate photos. Those did not show in the preview! It will not let me edit the post now, unfortunately.

A few more pics per request. This instrument has a very plain 2-screw truss rod cover. It is squared off and trapezoidal. I would be inclined to put a more traditional bell-shaped cover on it, but the hole spacing is just about 3/16" shorter on the guitar than on the various bell shaped covers I have in my pile of stuff. I don't like the idea of any new holes. Cutting one from scratch is too time consuming, and it would come out so-so. Has anyone found an extra-long one to cut down, or one with shorter than normal spacing? I figure this has likely come up on this forum before.

Oops, sorry about the duplicate photos. Those did not show in the preview! It will not let me edit the post now, unfortunately.

A lot of us get customized TRC's....

Archived