Heritage Owners Club

Decoding Heritage Serial Numbers

Administrator

Decoding Heritage Guitar, Inc. Serial Numbers

One of the areas that causes the most confusion for new members of the Heritage Owners Club is how to decipher and understand the serial numbering system employed by the factory. Essentially, each Heritage guitar is (ink) stamped with a six character serial number on the back of the headstock. The characters are comprised of a leading letter, denoting the year (see table below), followed by five digits.

The five digits of the serial number encode the day and order of manufacture for the guitar. The first group of three digits represent the days remaining in the year on the day the guitar was completed. The last two digits indicate the build order on that day.

For example, a guitar with a serial number of B35012 can be decoded as follows:

B: Year built is 1985 (a rare find, indeed!)

350: Built on the fifteenth day of the year (365-350=15)

12: The twelfth guitar completed on this day

From this, we learn that the guitar in our example was the twelfth guitar finished on 15 JAN 1985. One of the interesting side effects of this numbering and encoding system is that guitars built later in a given year will actually have a seemingly "lower" serial number. For instance, the first guitar completed on 1 FEB 1985 would have a serial number of B33401.

This reverse dating scheme initially seems confusing and counterintuitive, but it is actually very effective. If you are pursuing older Heritage guitars, you would seek guitars with a low initial character, followed by a relatively high set of "date" digits, followed by low trailing "build order" digits.

This information, and more, is available on the Heritage Owners Club Information Page.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
There isn't anywhere else on the guitar (beside the back of headstock) where I can find the serial number?  I'm having trouble reading the serial number on the headstock of a recently purchased Heritage 555.

Occasionally, but not consistently, the serial number is hand written on the label inside the guitar (or inside the control panel cover on solid bodies). If it's not on there, then the headstock is it. Do you have a picture of the back of the headstock? Post a closeup (in focus) of the serial and let's see what you have.

This is the best I could do with photos (it looks more like and H in these photos then in person.  In person it looks like a V - big difference in dates!)

I called and emailed Heritage to see if they have a database and that serial (H 14301) is linked to a 1991 H 555, but no response from either try.

Thoughts?

2779053992_3887e7cf21.jpg

2779052676_806e6906d9.jpg

That prefix is hard to read. From the digits, we know that (if it wasn't built in a leap year), it was the first guitar completed on 10 AUG. That character could be an "A" (if it is, don't ever sell it), a "G", an "H", an "N" or maybe an "R." Just looking at the pictures, I'd be inclined to say "G" which would be 1990.  If you say it looks more like an "H" in hand, then that puts it at 1991. How about pics of the rest?  When did you buy it?

Yeah, I don't think it's a N or a G.  It definitely could be an H but also looks like there's a V under there too.  I'm stumped because I really can't tell and haven't heard a word from Heritage.  Any suggestions on how to confirm this?  The seller told me he used a magnifying glass and that's how he verified it was an H but has no paper work.  Shady yes, but I was happy with the price.

2778355875_a47e326460.jpg

yes...it does more in that enhancement than in person, but it could be a range. 

No opinions on what I can do to actually verify it?  You'd think Heritage has a database or something I could match it with.  I only live two hours from Kzoo, should I bring it there (considering they haven't called me back or emailed in many tries in the last two weeks?).

Thanks for the posts everyone, I'm just kind of stumped.

I vote for M.  This is my 535's serial.  It is hard to tell but I know mine is a '96.

If it were an N or an H the tall sides wouldn't be leaning in on each other. 

Reduced the image so here is the link.

http://www.ronwarren.com/535/img_6304_std.jpg

Maybe not a bad idea to visit Kzoo if you can.  Think they offer tours, and if you can catch one it's quite interesting (someone else here may know of how to hook up w/a tour).  Not sure if they have a database with model/serial numbers or not.  Them not calling back is probably just cause it's a small operation and they're pretty full with orders at the moment... but given their experience, they maybe could look at it and recognize it from the way it's smeared.  (nothing inside the f-hole on the label that gives a clue, eh?).

Ron,

I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment on this one. Notice on your s/n shot that you have two peaks and a center valley. Then notice on DDarko's that he has two peaks and a valley, yet there is a distinct offset running from the top left to the lower right. That's an N.

Ron,

I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment on this one. Notice on your s/n shot that you have two peaks and a center valley. Then notice on DDarko's that he has two peaks and a valley, yet there is a distinct offset running from the top left to the lower right. That's an N.

I can see that too.  Maybe it's a '96 1/2.  :wink:

Just a thought...  Anyone ever try to date a Heritage by potentiometer codes?  (I haven't).  Might be able to sneak an inspection mirror into the f-hole to read the code, and there are sites online that explain how to convert the codes into manufacturers and dates.  Of course, this only gives you a "this guitar could not be manufactured before..." certainty, and might not help at all in distinguishing between a M and an N, but might help between an A and an N.  (I don't know how long Heritage keeps pots on hand before they are used.)

Here's a link to one of the sites that deciphers pot codes:

http://home.exetel.com.au/mosrite/Date%20Y...Pot%20Codes.php

yeah...doesn't help the fact that I purchased thinking it was a 1991.  I couldn't read the picture of the serial but the seller guaranteed it was an H  and said Heritage verified it to him.  Of course when I got it I couldn't read it at all.  Such a shame...that's what I get on ebay

Archived