Heritage Owners Club

Decoding Heritage Serial Numbers

Administrator

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere, but I've done a fairly thorough search in the posts and can't seem to find the answer.  I am looking at an H535 in very nice condition, but it has an "X" inked (not stamped) in the same color ink as the serial number, directly above the serial number.  Any clues as to what this letter indicates?  I've seen the posts regarding the stamped BGN and 2nd marks, but nothing that references an inked "X".  I did not get the actual serial number, but the owner says the H535 was built in 2006, which should mean that it is a Wxxxxx type SN.  I'll get another chance to see the guitar today and hope to learn more before I do.  The "X" just sounds so ominous!

BTW, I did not ask the owner when I was checking it out.  It did not strike me as odd at that point as it is the first Heritage I've ever seen in person.  I started to think about it on the way home and followed-up with a web search.  So here I am . . 

Cheers, and thanks for your help.

- MAB (one who aspires to be a Heritage Owner this weekend!)

MAB .... here's a shot of the label in my 535,

width=585 height=480http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/535label.jpg[/img]

I'm just wondering if the separate year number, in this case "X" for 2007 might denote a Heritage Custom shop instrument.

Then again it might just be that Heritage changes their numbering system from time to time.

I think that we've discussed this before, but it seems that there was a period in 2007 (X prefix) where the serial number was split into two parts, with the alpha being above the numerical. There may have been some W prefix guitars with the same stamping pattern, as well, but I can't remember.

• 3 months later...

Do these guys work on Sundays? I dated my H137 to April 23, 2006 - a Sunday. (5th guitar completed that day)

Damn fine guitar for having dragged the guys in on a Sunday! ;D

• 3 months later...
Cool!  My Heritage 150P Goldtop was the fifth guitar made on May 9, 1994.  That means her birthday is coming so I better learn some new songs.  ;D

Very true!! Have you had a good Welcome to the HoC, yet? 2 posts. You can't have been here long. (or maybe i'm just dense). Did you post a pic of the 150P?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Decoding Heritage Guitar, Inc. Serial Numbers

One of the areas that causes the most confusion for new members of the Heritage Owners Club is how to decipher and understand the serial numbering system employed by the factory. Essentially, each Heritage guitar is (ink) stamped with a six character serial number on the back of the headstock. The characters are comprised of a leading letter, denoting the year (see table below), followed by five digits.

The five digits of the serial number encode the day and order of manufacture for the guitar. The first group of three digits represent the days remaining in the year on the day the guitar was completed. The last two digits indicate the build order on that day.

For example, a guitar with a serial number of B35012 can be decoded as follows:

B: Year built is 1985 (a rare find, indeed!)

350: Built on the fifteenth day of the year (365-350=15)

12: The twelfth guitar completed on this day

From this, we learn that the guitar in our example was the twelfth guitar finished on 15 JAN 1985. One of the interesting side effects of this numbering and encoding system is that guitars built later in a given year will actually have a seemingly "lower" serial number. For instance, the first guitar completed on 1 FEB 1985 would have a serial number of B33401.

This reverse dating scheme initially seems confusing and counterintuitive, but it is actually very effective. If you are pursuing older Heritage guitars, you would seek guitars with a low initial character, followed by a relatively high set of "date" digits, followed by low trailing "build order" digits.

This information, and more, is available on the Heritage Owners Club Information Page.

hi I have recently aquired a les paul type tobaco burst heritage guitar.The seller told me that the guitar was the two hundredth made by heritage and that only two were made in this colour .I found this to be a dubious story at best.But he also said that he got the guitar in 89 and the guitar ie tuners etc fit with this story. Not say it is not a very good 9/10 .it has the serial number "e20008"

i would be very grateful if any one would could help me decipher the number and possibility give me an idea of its worth should i need to insure or sell it.

hi I have recently aquired a les paul type tobaco burst heritage guitar.The seller told me that the guitar was the two hundredth made by heritage and that only two were made in this colour .I found this to be a dubious story at best.But he also said that he got the guitar in 89 and the guitar ie tuners etc fit with this story. Not say it is not a very good 9/10 .it has the serial number "e20008"

i would be very grateful if any one would could help me decipher the number and possibility give me an idea of its worth should i need to insure or sell it.

E = 1988

200 = built on the 166th day of the year (366 - 200 days remaining)

08 = eighth guitar built that day

Because 1988 was a leap year (February had 29 days), your guitar was built on 14 JUN 1988 and was the eighth guitar completed that day. Your guitar was built on my birthday (although not the day I was born..haha)! As to the claim that only two were made, I am highly skeptical, but post a pic and let's see what you have. Also, you can look inside the control cavity cover for a sticker that lists the model and finish. That would be helpful, too.

thank you for the information,it helps a grate deal.Unfortunatly it is up for sale in my friends shop at the moment ,which is some miles away.but i plan to take some pictures a week on sunday when i have my next guitar lesson.If you could take a look at them after I post them, I would be very grateful.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Speaking of dating Heritage guitars by the serial numbers...

Is it known what the leading letter or letters to the serial numbers will be for the years 2010 and beyond?

It appears that we've reached the end of the alphabet.

Thanks.

It's AA for 2010, I presume it will be BB for 2011.

• 2 months later...
my serial numbers indicate that my 575 was completed on Sunday. Is that correct? the s/n is f08102. (i actually memorized it...LOL)

Laterrzz,

miles

October 11 is the 284th day of the year ... a Monday.

Although it would be nice to think that they worked on Sunday just because your 575 wasn't quite finished..... :lol:

Archived