Heritage Owners Club

Prospect vs 535

bluesgolfer

I've been listening to audio video clips of both and both sound impressive. I like the thought of the Prospect behind a bit smaller but am afraid I might be giving up some of that 535 sound if I went with the Prospect and I'm also concerned about feedback I've heard can happen. Any comments on the above? Also, if you had both and could only keep one, which would you keep?

By the way, I did get a chance to play a 535 and a Millennium over the weekend and both sounded awesome. Didn't like the white binding on the Millennium however but it sounded sweat. The 535 sounds sweet as well but has a huge tone. Awesome guitars.

i've played both, haven't owned both, so I'll leave that critique to someone who can imagine being faced with such a heinous scenario....having to choose one!

As for feedback, thank God! It's one of the perk's in my opinion, and easily managed. I love the fact that turning towards my amp at the right moment can add that vowely tone. It would seem to me you would have to be ridiculously limited on space to not have the room to re-orient yourself to address the feedback issue. That's been my experience, having owned 535 type guitars for several years now.

Comfort matters, for sure. I'm not a big guy, and I find I love my 535 while sitting...almost like a more comfortable acoustic. I dig the prospect for the smaller size while standing. I suspect that if I owned both, I may prefer the Prospect for this reason, and as I said, I have played one. As it is though, I've adapted to my 535, found the ideal strap length, and really love the way it feels. Having all that wood under my picking hand forearm allows a lot of control of the guitar as a whole...and I love it. There isn't a huge difference in the overall size, and with the options available - pickups, amps, pedals - I think any of these guitars would give you the platform you need with the woody/airy component - and you can tweak it from there.

my $.02 (ok, maybe that was a nickel)

i've played both, haven't owned both, so I'll leave that critique to someone who can imagine being faced with such a heinous scenario....having to choose one!

As for feedback, thank God! It's one of the perk's in my opinion, and easily managed. I love the fact that turning towards my amp at the right moment can add that vowely tone. It would seem to me you would have to be ridiculously limited on space to not have the room to re-orient yourself to address the feedback issue. That's been my experience, having owned 535 type guitars for several years now.

Comfort matters, for sure. I'm not a big guy, and I find I love my 535 while sitting...almost like a more comfortable acoustic. I dig the prospect for the smaller size while standing. I suspect that if I owned both, I may prefer the Prospect for this reason, and as I said, I have played one. As it is though, I've adapted to my 535, found the ideal strap length, and really love the way it feels. Having all that wood under my picking hand forearm allows a lot of control of the guitar as a whole...and I love it. There isn't a huge difference in the overall size, and with the options available - pickups, amps, pedals - I think any of these guitars would give you the platform you need with the woody/airy component - and you can tweak it from there.

my $.02 (ok, maybe that was a nickel)

Hey Successor: Great info. When playing the Prospest, did it sound as big as the 535? Thanks

well, i'd have to say no. But there are always qualifiers to that. I wasn't playing it in my music room through my amp. It had standard Schallers....my 535 has Sheptone Tributes...a PAF clone. I was playing through and amp that has a tighter gainer sound to it than any of my amps do. All these variable play into the sound tremendously.

It was super comfortable, great neck, sounded warm and woody when clean...based on that, If I wanted a semi, I'd go for it, knowing I could tweak it. I would think that I could get it to sound very much like my 535.

There are those here that own both, and I'll leave the apples to apples comparison to them. My point in responding is to encourage you that a sizable semi will follow the laws of physics...and if you find it comfortable and aesthetically pleasing, you'll be able to coax the sounds you wish from it, and be super happy. That, and don't worry about feedback. Feedback is your friend, and can be handled.

there was a thread recently where a guy bought a 535 on reputation alone, found it to be a VERY well made beautiful guitar, but was very disappointed in the sound. He spent time simply messing with the set up (pickup height, action, strings) and ended up very happy - dramatic changes were available simply through changing the physics at play, without even changing the pickups and electronic components. This supports my contention that you're buying a platform that you can work with and don't worry if it doesn't have that sound in your head on first strum, in a store, through a shop amp. There are limitations of course. Don't shop for a semi if you want tele/bridge twang for instance. It'll never happen. But you'll be able to great semi tones from a great semi.

cheers!

Archived