Heritage Owners Club

My 1995 H535

James535

I joined this forum when I first purchased my second hand 535 with the intention of starting a post like this, but of course never got around to it! But better late than never...

The gent I bought the guitar off had clearly looked after the guitar and had a very light touch as it has no fret wear at all and was in great condition all round. But I can't resist giving a new guitar the once over, the first thing was to take the strings off, clean it up and give the fretboard a dose of lemon oil. It came up a treat and brought the fretboard to life again as it definitely looked and felt a bit dry. Here it is a few days after I got it sat with my custom shop Strat.

6b564328.jpg

and again with the strat and my 52 reissue Tele.

03bd2dbc.jpg

I have started making a few tweeks to suit my personal taste, a few of the simple things being the control knobs and pickup switch tip. I spotted a new H535 for sale at a store with black control knobs and it gave the guitar such a different look for such a simple thing. So I decided to go ahead with it on my own model, I feel it really suits the guitar especially as it matches the pickup surrounds better than the existing gold ones. Heres a photo, again sadly only taken with my phone so apologies for the lack of quality

9248131fde9fb77fe8e464d8884bee5b.jpg

As for the switch tip, I love the style of the Gibson amber/aged ones. So I popped one of those on there, it does look real classy to be fair.

Next thing on my agenda may be a pickup change. It currently has the Ducan 59s, which I do like but have always felt they slightly lack that something special. I have just posted a thread about this though so I won't go into it much on this post.

But I really am thrilled to own this guitar, am I happy I went for it instead of a Gibson? Hell yes! Especially after playing the £3000 Custom Shop Bonamassa 335 and thought my 535 felt a million times better to play. A heritage guitar seems to have more character and personality, something I love in a guitar.

I hope to keep the thread updated with any further tweeks made to the guitar and any tales along my ownership journey.

Thanks for looking, James.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats... I really love the necks on the older 535s, she should be a really sweet playing guitar!

Welcome to the dark side!

Yeah it really is a fantastic neck, so natural and easy to play. Did a band practice with it and it felt barely felt like I'd played, so comfortable

Cosmetics aside, that is one really nice specimen! In two pics it looks Natural. In one it looks Amber. Either way, love that wood!!

As for the cosmetics ... they really work on that guitar.

Hi James, that's a nice collection you have and ably enhanced by the new 535.

I'm another UK member, just outside Colchester. Whereabouts are you in the UK? We're building up quite a few members :)

@tulk1, thanks for the good words. It is a great finish on this example, really seems to adapt and change depending on what light it's under. Whether it's down to it's age or the quality of the maple top, who knows. But it looks great.

@H, cheers! I will share some photos of the Les Paul & SG when I get chance too. It's took a fair few years but I'm happy with the range of guitars I have now. It's a little greedy I guess but we only live once right?! but the heritage certainly is one of my favourites.

I am based near Birmingham, good to see there are a few UK members on here too, more than happy to fly the Heritage flag here in the UK.

On another note, one thing I forgot to mention in regards to the changes I've made was that I was never really a fan of the wooden pick guard fitted to the guitar originally. I understand others may love them, but for me I wasn't so struck on it and although removing it leaves the little screw holes exposed I decided to take it off the guitar. Of course I kept it though in case I were to ever change my mind!

nice 535!!!

and nice other guitars too..what's the story with that strat? looks like Rory Gallagher got ahold of it!

haha, I guess the 'craftsmen' at the Fender Custom Shop just had a lot of fun throwing the guitar around the floor I think! Story behind it I guess is that I wanted a custom shop strat for many years and seeing as original pre CBS guitars are so expensive these days a CS is the next best thing for me. I starting looking for one and wasn't really bothered which model, whether it was a relic or not it just had to feel right. I'm a Fender man at heart and have played a lot of strats over the years, so I know when it's a good one or a bad one. I happened to pick this one up and was utterly blown away, still the best strat I've ever picked up. Regardless of it's battered looks I had to have it. I'm a huge Stevie Ray Vaughan fan so a battered Strat is something I love the look of, but I know other players may hate it!

Welcome to the forum, and as stated, beautiful guitar collection! Good composition on the photos as well, cell phone or not!

On the pickup front, I recently went with Sheptone Tributes in my 535 and the more I play, the more amps I play through, the happier I am with my decision. On the bridge in particular, the distinction of barre chords when driven, but with just the right "bite".

I'm in love.

i'm constantly waffling on the PG issue on my 535. I love it as a cosmetic item...but I also love using my pinky as an anchor on the bridge pickup ring, and the PG messes with that. Also, it's just a little too "pretty" for rock n roll. At the moment, however, it remains.

Looking forward to watching your heritage evolution. cheers

Thanks for the comments, both for the guitars and photos! I do normally take a bit of pride in taking a photo but when its just the phones camera I normally don't car much and click the shutter! But I will upload some nicer ones at some point as cameras are my other passion!

Good heads up regarding the Sheptone pickups, I will look into those. Are they essentially a variation on the PAF design?

I take it that is your 535 in your signature? If so that really is a beaut! Amazing colour and top on it.

Here is a quick snap(again camera phone sadly) of my latest purchase, the Derek Trucks SG. I'm really not a fan of new Gibson's at all, mainly due to their attention to detail lately, but this one really stood out when I came to play it. Couldn't resist!

69408d0dbea17e79519370ed312d5d44.jpg

Sheptone winds a few variations of p'ups, his Tribute is in fact his PAF entry. Well regarded. There are others here who dig 'em as well. That can be said of the Seth's as well, but I don't have experience with them personally.

http://sheptone.com/landing.html

yep, that's my one and only Heritage.

Love the SG. What p'ups did Gibson put in there?

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, some slightly nicer photos not taken with a terrible phone!

I decided to have a bit of a Gibson evening and got the Les Paul & SG out too for a photo to share with you guys. But first up the 535...

DSCF9361_zps7592765e.jpg

You can see the amber switch tip and black control knobs a little better than in the previous photos I've uploaded.

DSCF9362_zpse7612f2d.jpg

Also the amazing maple top on it.

DSCF9356_zps32394f28.jpg

Makes me pretty happy to see the three together! Also, Isabelle the cat. She wouldn't move for the sake of a photo.

And a couple of my SG and Les Paul. The SG being the newest member of the family, and the Les Paul being the oldest. I've been having a lot of trouble putting an exact age to the LP but after a lot of research and conversations with Gibson it appears to be a '68.

DSCF9363_zpse3ddd224.jpg

DSCF9364_zpsed506758.jpg

Hope you enjoy the photos.

James.

Thanks for the good words! And yeah, I like the thought that although they have a different name on the headstock, the LP and H535 were made in the same place and you never know, by the same craftsmen!

Would you believe that I have the same sofa! :)

Haha nice! M&S?

• 2 months later...

Little update on my Heritage ownership story..

I have decided to change the bridge and tailpiece to a abr-1 tune-o-matic and the more traditional Gibson type stop bar. Although the existing items on the guitar work perfectly I have never really been a massive fan of them aesthetically. Fits in nicely with the 'How much do a guitars looks matter to you?' Thread huh?!

I settled on ordering a TonePro's ABR-1 due to the reviews and spec looking a little better than Gibson's equivalent. Also went along with the Gibson Historic brand stop bar as that's what's on my SG and it feels like a nice solid item. Will update with photos as soon as they arrive. Will be interesting how it will look swapped over.

Still the matter of the pickups to be ordered though...

Nice 535 James. Also like that Tele. 52 Reissue? And your SG reminds me of my 60 LP SG from my youth. Remember the "Les Paul" truss rod cover. Mine had a regular tailpiece though. And the LP is killer. Nice collection.

Little update on my Heritage ownership story..

I have decided to change the bridge and tailpiece to a abr-1 tune-o-matic and the more traditional Gibson type stop bar. Although the existing items on the guitar work perfectly I have never really been a massive fan of them aesthetically. Fits in nicely with the 'How much do a guitars looks matter to you?' Thread huh?!

I settled on ordering a TonePro's ABR-1 due to the reviews and spec looking a little better than Gibson's equivalent. Also went along with the Gibson Historic brand stop bar as that's what's on my SG and it feels like a nice solid item. Will update with photos as soon as they arrive. Will be interesting how it will look swapped over.

Still the matter of the pickups to be ordered though...

My 555 is very similar to your 535, here is mine with my alterations to it.

post-1193-0-23900900-1357051543_thumb.jpg

post-1193-0-83167000-1357051560_thumb.jpg

Archived