Heritage Owners Club

H530 vs. ES-330

moondog

hi, moondog. i'll jump in here, fwiw. i've never played a 330. i own a 335 and a h-530. they feel similar to me, probably because, as you say, the neck joint on the 530 is much like the neck joint on the 335.

the 530 is noticeably lighter because it is full hollow.

gibson p90s have a good reputation. my les paul, jr. has one and i like it. the lollars on the 530 are great, too.

my 530 was my first heritage and i've never looked back.

regards, eljay

hi, moondog. i'll jump in here, fwiw. i've never played a 330. i own a 335 and a h-530. they feel similar to me, probably because, as you say, the neck joint on the 530 is much like the neck joint on the 335.

the 530 is noticeably lighter because it is full hollow.

gibson p90s have a good reputation. my les paul, jr. has one and i like it. the lollars on the 530 are great, too.

my 530 was my first heritage and i've never looked back.

regards, eljay

As you are a owner. Do you think its possible to get a sound like this with your H530?

Amp is a Soldano Lucky 13 here.

The old ES-330 will almost certainly have a different acoustic sound. But no one would buy such a guitar solely on acoustic tones.

The old 330 has a neck pushed deeper into the body. While that limits upper register access a little, it is purported to activate the soundboard more. Also the 330 has a deeper body. I don't think there are any other structural differences that would affect tone. The electronics you can argue about I suppose.

The deeper body may enhance feedback a little.

The top mounted jack is not the best idea Gibson had. It leads to cracked tops.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either the 330 or 530, unless you happen to not like either. They are basically about the same. Except price of course.

Ever since I was a kid I wanted every Gibson semi-hollow they made, including the ES330. Never owned one, but recently I could not resist a hand made H530 with Lollar P90's. Love the tone and feel of that well made instrument.

Now that the Gibson ES330 Reissues have hit the market, I'd like to try one out for a little comparison. However, I doubt there will be enough of a difference to justify buying one. My curiosity might eventually get the best of me if one comes available on the used market at the right price.

Sorry if my post isn't helpful to the op, but that's all I've got. :icon_smile:

Having grown up in Kalamazoo in the Gibson hayday, the whole idea of the 330 reissue is weird. Back in the 60s no one wanted a 330 if he could afford a 335. It was viewed as an entry level guitar. Those of us out gigging as well as the Gibson employees generally shared this attitude.

Nowadays, I'd love to have one in a white finish. Crazy, huh?

Do you think its possible to get a sound like this with your H530?

Well, I hope not because that sound is EXTREMELY compressed. It's also distorted on the note attack.

Haven't played the Heritage 530 but would love to. i would expect it to sound better than a 330.

Back in the 60s no one wanted a 330 if he could afford a 335. It was viewed as an entry level guitar. Those of us out gigging as well as the Gibson employees generally shared this attitude.

That's correct. Guys who bought 330s were always wishing they had a 335. That being said, the 330 is a good guitar in it's own right. Just don't expect it to sound anything like a 335. Instead think; "Grant Green" who made many cool records with a 330. Personally, I'd rather have a Gibson ES-125TDC (cutaway) than a 330. They sound better.

I'm a Lollar fan and would like to tout his pups. And in fairness I did not A/B the guitars.

Me, too. I have the Lollar P-90's in my Super Eagle, and in that big hollow body, they have all of the tone you'd expect from a good P-90, including much of the character (warmth, clarity, honk) the Gibby 330 has in the clip...and then some. That clip is pretty limited, though, as he seems not to get out of middle position, rolling off only the neck p'up, at one point.

I've owned several vintage Gibson P-90 guitars, and those pickups never disappointed! However, Jason's P-90's are excellent!

Well, I hope not because that sound is EXTREMELY compressed. It's also distorted on the note attack.

Personally, I'd rather have a Gibson ES-125TDC (cutaway) than a 330. They sound better.

That Soldano is a Big, Punchy amp, no doubt, and the digital clipping is really distracting, yeah. Owned a '60 ES-125 TD, great guitar, absolutely. But I've played several 530's, all of which had a very similar feel, tone, and versatility. I'm sure more players will weigh in, as there are a number of 530 owners on the board (Randy; John; Larry [eljay, whom you've heard from] ).

Lollar P90's although good in their own right do not sound like Gibson P90's to me, they are more

hi-fi for a lack of a better term. I have owned an original ES330, and still have a 64' ES125, and both

of these guitars had a certain edge to the P90 tone. The clips which you posted both sounded

overly compressed and bright to me which is most likely a reflection of the amps that the 330's

wee plugged into. I can get close to that tone with a Telecaster and a compressor. If that's what

you like, I'm sure a H530 could get that one with the same type of amps, but it would be capable

of a much bigger tone if plugged into the right amp. Bridge P90's really have a great snarl to them!!!

That '68 walnut 330 is just like mine - only mine is really checked. It was my first "real" guitar, bought it used in '71 for $200 - had my mom co-sign on a bank loan. I still have it and love it and even though I've thought about selling it periodically, it was my first baby, so no deal. Those were the days!

Guest HRB853370

That '68 walnut 330 is just like mine - only mine is really checked. It was my first "real" guitar, bought it used in '71 for $200 - had my mom co-sign on a bank loan. I still have it and love it and even though I've thought about selling it periodically, it was my first baby, so no deal. Those were the days!

How many payments are left?

As I recall, the terms were 1 year and ~$18/month. I was working PT at the Piggly Wiggly after school and mom thought I needed to establish some credit. We knew a guy at the bank and he set it up.

That's about all I remember!

The Yank

Archived