59 replies to this topic

#1 jackhicks

jackhicks

Distant Relation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

When you look at the back of a solid body 157 and get a visual image of where the neck actually ends, it's really deep. Is an extra inch of a long neck tenon really a big deal? It's pretty clever of Gibson to convince the world that a long tenon is worth a lot more money!

#2 Klatu

Klatu

Distant Relation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

In itself, it doesn't make a difference to the tone or playability, but it does add to the mystique of certain high end guitars. Some companies add it as a way to differentiate their products while others use it to set their "custom" range apart from their "standard" range.

#3 rockabilly69

rockabilly69

Needs To Get Out More

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

If a long tenon was that important, Firebirds with their neck through design would be the best guitar ever!
What really is more important to me is a solid glue joint! I bought my H150 under the pretense that it was
a long tenon, but found out when I got it, that it wasn't, which upset me. But when I started playing it, (after
doing some bridge work), I found I liked it as much as my R0 historic Gibson Les Paul. Once again I think
it comes down to all guitars are a sum of their parts, and if you can't buy one in person, you better find a
deal with a liberal return policy:)

I love my H150's

4ef812bd-81c4-4556-902f-36df3c9a1028.jpg

#4 bolero

bolero

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts
  • Interests:music, cycling

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I have both, I don't think it really matters

although the reason Gibson started offering it, was vintage collectors pointing out the historic's weren't constructed accurately to the real deal

of course, they used that to charge $ for those and other accurate features...which they deliberately rolled out over years of production. smart marketing
although your world wonders me, with your majestic and superior cackling hen.....your people I do not understand

#5 HANGAR18

HANGAR18

Needs To Get Out More

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts
  • Interests:\m/ Metal \m/
    Blues & Bluegrass.
    Rides a Harley.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

On a Les Paul design it doesn't really matter but it matters a lot more on certain hollow bodies.
I don't recall which model number of hollow bodies because that's not really my thing.
MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

#6 Kuz

Kuz

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Remember Heritage uses long tenons now, so the argument is really over.
th_web4-2.jpgth_Precious-2.jpgth__DSC1911-Edit-2.jpgth_Yoder.jpgth__DSC2182web.jpgth_Front2web.jpg

575 Custom Seth Lovers, 535 Lollar P-90s, Custom 555 Throbaks PG102s, 150 Blur/Quilt "Yoder" Throbak SLE 101 plus, 150 GT "Robben" Throbak SLE 101s, 150 GT "Sean" Lollar P-90s, Golden Eagle Florentine Cutaway HRW

#7 yoslate

yoslate

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

In itself, it doesn't make a difference to the tone or playability, but it does add to the mystique of certain high end guitars.

"gort klaatu barada nikto"

"Man, I seen 'im get way up on them lead frets."

Heritage Super Eagle (custom spec) - Heritage 150 20th Anniversary (The Grail) - Heritage 535 - '73 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe - Gibson/Bill Nash Les Paul - Bill Nash '57 Stratocaster - Fender '52 re-ish Telecaster - 1952 Silvertone Aristocrat - Jack Dent P-90 Crossroads - Epiphone Masterbuilt DR 500 ME - Wechter mahogany resonator

Bitar "The Note" custom 35W EL34 head + Ken Jones custom 2x12 cabinet - Epiphone Valve Special (modded) - Bitar "Felix" 22W EL34 1x12 - Weber 5E3 tweed Deluxe w/1953 Magnavox P232 - modded Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue

#8 bolero

bolero

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

ask the aliens, maybe they can tell the difference?

although your world wonders me, with your majestic and superior cackling hen.....your people I do not understand

#9 blackthorn

blackthorn

Distant Relation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

Do you know when Heritage started to use long tenon necks?

#10 Kuz

Kuz

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

Do you know when Heritage started to use long tenon necks?

Around 2-2.5 years ago.
th_web4-2.jpgth_Precious-2.jpgth__DSC1911-Edit-2.jpgth_Yoder.jpgth__DSC2182web.jpgth_Front2web.jpg

575 Custom Seth Lovers, 535 Lollar P-90s, Custom 555 Throbaks PG102s, 150 Blur/Quilt "Yoder" Throbak SLE 101 plus, 150 GT "Robben" Throbak SLE 101s, 150 GT "Sean" Lollar P-90s, Golden Eagle Florentine Cutaway HRW

#11 HANGAR18

HANGAR18

Needs To Get Out More

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts
  • Interests:\m/ Metal \m/
    Blues & Bluegrass.
    Rides a Harley.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

"gort klaatu barada nikto"

LOL!! :laughing4:
MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

#12 NoNameBand

NoNameBand

Heir Apparent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  • Interests:I am a former professional drummer now playing in the No Name Band for charity fund raisers (see web site). I play a little guitar and collect guitars. I recently purchased a Heritage 535, 23rd Anniversary #22 of 25 Limited Edition. I love the guitar and am proud to be part of the Heritage family.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

I have both, I don't think it really matters

although the reason Gibson started offering it, was vintage collectors pointing out the historic's weren't constructed accurately to the real deal

of course, they used that to charge $ for those and other accurate features...which they deliberately rolled out over years of production. smart marketing

The real deal is Heritage and that's what the collectors wanted to get back to ('59-'60). Building them by hand is what is the shortcut that Gibson takes and can't talk about, unless you go to the Custom Shop and there is a price jump. So they have to make something sound so good for a mass produced guitar.
"I believe that Music is a thread that runs through our entire soul that when struck correctly, can cause a vibration in us that can not be matched by anything else. Mine never stops vibrating." -- Mark Owens

Guitars:
HERITAGE, H-535, Seth Lovers, 23rd Anniversary (#22 of 25) *** HERITAGE, '92 H-150 VSB, ShepTone Tribute pups *** HERITAGE, '99 H-150 TransBlue, SD Pearly Gates pups
DANELECTRO PRO, '08 ('59 reissue) *** DEAN MARKLEY, '87 Strat style One-off custom built through-neck, OBL pickups
EPIPHONE '05 Les Paul Gold Top SD Antiquity P-90s *** FENDER, '07 Stratocaster ('57 reissue) *** '03 Fender Strat SRV Signature Model
GIBSON, '86 Les Paul Custom Lite (#12 of 15 custom shop) *** GIBSON, '94 Firebird V, Tobacco Sunburst
GIBSON, '07 Les Paul Custom '61 reissue (SG Custom) *** GIBSON, '08 SG Standard Ebony *** Gibson, '07 Les Paul Classic Antique w/'57 pickups
HAGSTROM, '05 F-200 Gibson Classic '57 pickups *** VEGA, '52 Archtop Natural finish w/ P-90s

Amps:
Fender, '55 Deluxe Tweed original *** Fender, '05 HRod Deluxe Reverb *** Dean Markley, '86 K-150 *** Marshall, '10 Classic 5 *** HIWATT Custom 40 all tube combo *** Marshall Bluesbreaker 212 ext Cab recreation w/Celestion 25 watt Greenbacks
Posted Image

#13 High Flying Bird

High Flying Bird

1st Fathers Medal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Health Physics, Military/US History, Martial Arts, Karst Systems, Basketball, Heritage Guitars, Disc Golf, instigating fraud..... oh and #u@k3d up humor.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

If a long tenon was that important, Firebirds with their neck through design would be the best guitar ever!

Posted Image

(AKA Sir Farts-a-lot) Bio Hazard! - White trash pulling every body else down.
2010 H-357/Firebird - Dark Almond Burst - 2003 H-535 Custom - Chestnut Burst - 1993 H-475 - Almond Burst - 2012 Ibanez GVB 36 bass
Wildcat Hopkins

#14 davesultra

davesultra

Heir Apparent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Interests:Being "The" Premier Hack guitarist!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

"Ahhh.. long tennon, schlong tennon"! :booty: As long as it plays & sounds good...don't make no nevermind to me.! :icon_biggrin:

Edited by davesultra, 20 November 2012 - 04:06 PM.

"When I die they'll say, he couldn't play shit, but he sure made it sound good!"-Hound Dog Taylor Suffers from chronic G.A.S. <p>Smooth transactions with: golferwave,smaj,SouthpawGuy,slammer,Kuz,schundog,PunkKitty,brentrocks,HANGAR18,JackBaruth,greatmutah,reif,Houston535,RhoadsScholar,Millennium Maestro,mtpatty,smokedtires,skydog,MartyGrass,TalismanRich,Billgelder,Alfonzo,LK155

#15 Blunote

Blunote

Heir Apparent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

The real deal is Heritage and that's what the collectors wanted to get back to ('59-'60). Building them by hand is what is the shortcut that Gibson takes and can't talk about, unless you go to the Custom Shop and there is a price jump. So they have to make something sound so good for a mass produced guitar.

Great to see you posting again NoName (Mark)!

Hope all has been well.
Successful transactions with:
BobN, DetroitBlues, Gitfiddler. BarryMClark,Trouble, RhodeScholar

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -Ben Franklin

#16 brentrocks

brentrocks

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,250 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, good whisky, nookie, Red Wing Hockey

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Ren Wall says it doesnt matter....thats good enough for me

I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Great Transactions with:  Blankstarecase, MillenniumMaestro, Heritage525, JohnCovach, fxdx99, Thundersteel, Dickseacup, Mars Hall, Slammer, Fredzepp, Tulk1, big bob, KUZ, koula901, HighFlyingBird, yoslate, Gitfiddler, Guitartman, smurf1, schundog, skydog52, bolero, Steiner, golferwave, pegleg32, Hfan, Tailsmanrich, kpb810, tbonesullivan, chico, nonameband, squawken, mikenov, Davesnothere, Punkkitty, pushover, JackBaruth, LK155, Fernando, shook494, pressure, totonka, fretless, RJLII, Rhodescholar, Nachogrande, Y2kc, flyin brian, TonyM, grubber, davesultra, Billgelder

bighead_zps706beeef.jpg

#17 bolero

bolero

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

well, by "real deal" I meant the actual '59 LP's the historics are supposed to emulate.

the tenon was the only major construction detail from back-in-the-day, that Heritage hadn't bothered to use until recently. I think it was a good decision; a lot of guitar players seem to think it's important enough

on a larger scale, I would agree that Heritage guitars are "the real deal" :D

#18 soybean

soybean

Descendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

On a Les Paul design it doesn't really matter but it matters a lot more on certain hollow bodies.

I agree. I once played a Gibson es-335 historic (custom shop) with long tenon. It definitely sounded better and had more of the vintage sound like the early '60s 335s. The vast majority of Gibson 335s do not have the long tenon… even the custom shop ones. What about Heritage 535/555?

The Firebird is actually "neck-through", not a long tenon but I get the joke.

Edited by soybean, 21 November 2012 - 03:38 AM.

575 Custom (1995 & 1999), H576 (1990), Prospect (2000), Academy Custom (1999), Roy Clark (1997), Timmy

#19 Kuz

Kuz

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

I agree. I once played a Gibson es-335 historic (custom shop) with long tenon. It definitely sounded better and had more of the vintage sound like the early '60s 335s. The vast majority of Gibson 335s do not have the long tenon… even the custom shop ones. What about Heritage 535/555?

The Firebird is actually "neck-through", not a long tenon but I get the joke.

A few posts above.....

"Remember Heritage uses long tenons now, so the argument is really over."

YES

#20 Kuz

Kuz

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

This long tenon stuff has been discussed more here over the years than any other topic next to the headstock.

I will quote Terry McInturff (master Luthier) once again.... "The length of the tenon doesn't matter as long as the contact point of the neck and body is a complete joint that is strong as possible to maximize vibrations from the neck to the body".

In other words, the length of the tenon doesn't matter as long as the contact joint is complete and secure as possible.

All my Heritage guitars are the "shorter" Heritage tenon (note I did not say the short Gibson tenon like on Gibson production models, their is a difference the Heritage "shorter" tenon is the "transition length tenon" which is longer than the Gibby production model tenon.. for whatever that matters) and they slay any long tenon guitar I have ever played. I am sure I could not tell the difference between my "shorter" Heritage tenon to the new "long" Heritage in a tone challenge.

AND for what it is worth, what guitar company uses the longest tenons..... PRS!!!!

Edited by Kuz, 21 November 2012 - 08:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users