Heritage Owners Club

Long tenon overrated?

jackhicks

When you look at the back of a solid body 157 and get a visual image of where the neck actually ends, it's really deep. Is an extra inch of a long neck tenon really a big deal? It's pretty clever of Gibson to convince the world that a long tenon is worth a lot more money!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In itself, it doesn't make a difference to the tone or playability, but it does add to the mystique of certain high end guitars. Some companies add it as a way to differentiate their products while others use it to set their "custom" range apart from their "standard" range.

If a long tenon was that important, Firebirds with their neck through design would be the best guitar ever!

What really is more important to me is a solid glue joint! I bought my H150 under the pretense that it was

a long tenon, but found out when I got it, that it wasn't, which upset me. But when I started playing it, (after

doing some bridge work), I found I liked it as much as my R0 historic Gibson Les Paul. Once again I think

it comes down to all guitars are a sum of their parts, and if you can't buy one in person, you better find a

deal with a liberal return policy:)

I have both, I don't think it really matters

although the reason Gibson started offering it, was vintage collectors pointing out the historic's weren't constructed accurately to the real deal

of course, they used that to charge $ for those and other accurate features...which they deliberately rolled out over years of production. smart marketing

I have both, I don't think it really matters

although the reason Gibson started offering it, was vintage collectors pointing out the historic's weren't constructed accurately to the real deal

of course, they used that to charge $ for those and other accurate features...which they deliberately rolled out over years of production. smart marketing

The real deal is Heritage and that's what the collectors wanted to get back to ('59-'60). Building them by hand is what is the shortcut that Gibson takes and can't talk about, unless you go to the Custom Shop and there is a price jump. So they have to make something sound so good for a mass produced guitar.

The real deal is Heritage and that's what the collectors wanted to get back to ('59-'60). Building them by hand is what is the shortcut that Gibson takes and can't talk about, unless you go to the Custom Shop and there is a price jump. So they have to make something sound so good for a mass produced guitar.

Great to see you posting again NoName (Mark)!

Hope all has been well.

well, by "real deal" I meant the actual '59 LP's the historics are supposed to emulate.

the tenon was the only major construction detail from back-in-the-day, that Heritage hadn't bothered to use until recently. I think it was a good decision; a lot of guitar players seem to think it's important enough

on a larger scale, I would agree that Heritage guitars are "the real deal" :D

On a Les Paul design it doesn't really matter but it matters a lot more on certain hollow bodies.

I agree. I once played a Gibson es-335 historic (custom shop) with long tenon. It definitely sounded better and had more of the vintage sound like the early '60s 335s. The vast majority of Gibson 335s do not have the long tenon… even the custom shop ones. What about Heritage 535/555?

The Firebird is actually "neck-through", not a long tenon but I get the joke.

I agree. I once played a Gibson es-335 historic (custom shop) with long tenon. It definitely sounded better and had more of the vintage sound like the early '60s 335s. The vast majority of Gibson 335s do not have the long tenon… even the custom shop ones. What about Heritage 535/555?

The Firebird is actually "neck-through", not a long tenon but I get the joke.

A few posts above.....

"Remember Heritage uses long tenons now, so the argument is really over."

YES

This long tenon stuff has been discussed more here over the years than any other topic next to the headstock.

I will quote Terry McInturff (master Luthier) once again.... "The length of the tenon doesn't matter as long as the contact point of the neck and body is a complete joint that is strong as possible to maximize vibrations from the neck to the body".

In other words, the length of the tenon doesn't matter as long as the contact joint is complete and secure as possible.

All my Heritage guitars are the "shorter" Heritage tenon (note I did not say the short Gibson tenon like on Gibson production models, their is a difference the Heritage "shorter" tenon is the "transition length tenon" which is longer than the Gibby production model tenon.. for whatever that matters) and they slay any long tenon guitar I have ever played. I am sure I could not tell the difference between my "shorter" Heritage tenon to the new "long" Heritage in a tone challenge.

AND for what it is worth, what guitar company uses the longest tenons..... PRS!!!!

A few posts above… "Remember Heritage uses long tenons now, so the argument is really over."

YES

Okay, but I thought everyone was talking about the solid body heritages. Are Heritage for sure using long tenon on the 535/555 guitars?

Okay, but I thought everyone was talking about the solid body heritages. Are Heritage for sure using long tenon on the 535/555 guitars?

Yes.... again!!

Archived