Heritage Owners Club

FUZZ

JeffB

Whatcha using.

Having pretty much sorted out od to my liking or at least to what I need, Ive found myself starting to like a little fuzz, which I have never liked all that much previously. I could never make it happen for me even when covering a song that was fuzz intensive. I would use od instead.

I have a Bixonic Expandora and TRex Mudhoney, and tonight while having a night off and between filling up bits of the internet Ive been trying the blackout effectors Musket and EarthQuaker Devices Hoof.

I didnt realise Fuzz could be so much fun!

The Mudhoney seems more like wooly od rather than fuzz after listening to the others. maybe I just dont have a refined enough idea of fuzz yet.

So Ive found a new quest in the stomp department. Hello new fixation, please be easyily satisfied.

Any users? what do you have? and what did you settle on?

It's funny. I use a Chubb Up by a very controversial company called Freekish Blues.

Sometimes I think of selling it because I don't use it much, but then, if I start doing Black Keys covers, I think this would be good for it. I'd be interested in hearing what tunes people are using fuzz on.

Spaceman WOW Signal for the crazy warbling stuff. Nothing else like it.

Spaceman Gemini III which is a dual silicon/germanium monster.

Spaceman Spacerocket for Isley Brothers-style tones.

Dunlop JH-1 Fuzz Face was the first one I got, but I prefer the Spaceman stuff for construction quality, pedalboard space, and ability to use external power.

I use a Visual Sound Angry Fuzz. Just bought it a week or so ago. Its an Octave Fuzz pedal, but I found I don't use the Octave effect, just the fuzz. Its really interesting how I like it so much considering there are no tone controls, basically a Level (volume) and Fuzz (how much fuzz). Oh, and a bright switch. Can't make the Octave sound as good as I hoped, but at the moment I don't care.

I have tried many fuzzes, including boutique pedals. No other pedal type is as difficult as the fuzztone: when you're playing alone it sounds great, but then add the rest of the group and the sound often diminishes. This occurs because other instruments mask the upper partials in the sound, reducing it to a smaller and quieter sound. So I go with the fuzzes that work with the band, and for me that's the Big Muff (standard issue). I'm also pretty sold on the Tech 21 Fuzz/boost, which is maybe a bit better than the muff. Strangely enough, the Metal Muff is great at projecting a good fuzz sound with the band, even if you're not playing metal. A lot of what I liked about other fuzzes simply gets lost in the mix.

It's funny. I use a Chubb Up by a very controversial company called Freekish Blues.

Sometimes I think of selling it because I don't use it much, but then, if I start doing Black Keys covers, I think this would be good for it. I'd be interested in hearing what tunes people are using fuzz on.

Thanks Ken! :hello:

A little TGP humor. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thanks Ken! :hello:

A little TGP humor. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I gotcha GuitArtMan - but it's really me. : )

I know - people would pose on TGP, right.

Im really digging the fuzz. After spending time looking for natural sounding ods that didnt add fizz and kept the bottom end intact its nice to be able to to not obsess about those same things and actually enjoy some of the mess that come with fuzz.

Im not ready for random clipping total square wave fuzz yet.

Also added a digiteh whammy into the mix. You can see where this is headed.

I’m using a 4-knob Fulltone ’69. I use it to add a little character but it doesn’t do the over the top fuzz as well as my old Sovtek Buff Muff, but that’s just too big to keep on my board. I guess there’s some kind of internal trim pot on the ’69 that I should play with. I’ve had my eyes on the Sweet Sound Monterey Fuzz, but it’s hard to make up your mind with so many “great” fuzzes out there.

I’m using a 4-knob Fulltone ’69. I use it to add a little character but it doesn’t do the over the top fuzz as well as my old Sovtek Buff Muff, but that’s just too big to keep on my board. I guess there’s some kind of internal trim pot on the ’69 that I should play with. I’ve had my eyes on the Sweet Sound Monterey Fuzz, but it’s hard to make up your mind with so many “great” fuzzes out there.

Hi and welcome to the HOC.

Yes you are right, Ive been trying out a few different fuzz stomps from different makers and Im left with the feeling I couldnt go wrong with any of them.

It almost comes down to which stomp has the best looking colour and graphics on it.

I will probably get the blue one with red script. It will tie in nicely with the jetter red square, flashback and fuel tank jr. I just hope its not too much of the same blue.

After pretty much giving up on fuzz/distortion pedals for several years I came across what I think is the best tube type distortion ever, and not surprisingly it has two tubes in it to achieve the best crunch tones I've ever had. For blues and classic rock it can't be beat It's the SD Twin Tube Classic. Simple controls and simple to use, it's the best way I know of to push a good clean amp into glorious rich blues/crunch tones.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/stompboxes/sfx03_twin_tube/

Archived