Heritage Owners Club

Long neck tenon?

gtrfan0631

Looking for a bit of advice regarding the "special" details that a retailer in Florida and Tennessee offers on their inventory. Specifically - what differences might I notice with options such as long-neck tenon and cts pots and sprague caps?

I am comparing ordering a H150CM from the florida dealer to a "stock" model available at a small dealer locally. The pups are SD'S 59's.

I welcome any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

In terms of the pots and caps, its a question of "relative to what"? I can state that I removed the stock harness in my Heritage and replaced it with a new harness, including CTS pots and Vita Q caps, as components of a "50's style" wiring harness, there was an improvment in the sweep of the volume pot, and in the highs that were retained when rolling off. Depending on whats there, one might not notice a change. CTS pots are widely regarded as the standard high quality potentiometer available. Most quality aftermarket harness retailers use them. Even within the brand, however, there can be variations of tolerance regarding the output specs, with some retailers specifying a tighter tolerance pot. So if you have lesser quality pots, as well as random capacitors, this can change what you hear slightly.

Regarding long neck tenon.....that's one of those elusive issues that is often discussed and debated as the it's actual effect on the tone of the guitar. Some argue that its greatest benefit is the ability to win the pissing contest that develops between cork sniffers when comparing their LP type guitars. Having said that, the issue is the total surface area of contact between the neck and the body. More can't hurt. Less hasn't been proven to hurt. Heritage has decided to in recent years to utilize a "long tenon". It's been stated by the guys at Heritage, that while it makes no difference in tone, the "market" wants a long tenon, so, here..... (paraphrasing mightily....)

Wolfe and his staff are arguably the most knowledgeable and credible Heritage retailers in existence you'll do well with them. Having said that, the stock model you have ready access to should be in every way a fine guitar, and if you deem the harness or p'ups inferior, these can be readily swapped out very affordably.

my $.02

cheers and happy hunting.

Assuming you chose a slide as your avatar for a reason....do tell!

Thanks for the info!

The slide is my nod to some of my favorite players. Duane Allman used a glass bottle slide but I thought that image could be mistaken for something else. Lowell George preferred a 11/16 sears craftsman long socket and I was thinking of him when I picked the image.

Before you go replacing everything try the vintage wiring mod its easy & involves moving a couple wires

I find that alone makes a big difference. I had a high end expensive harness/pots & switched back to stock with the wiring mod instead

That would make sense. There would be less space available for the tenon itself.

as for why they went "back" to the long tenon? My guess would be "marketing". on a set single cut set neck guitar that already has plenty of surface area for a good neck joint, i don't see what the long tenon accomplishes. If the statement "the longer the tenon, the better the tone" was true, neck through guitars would be all the rage. But, they are not.

It should also be noted that on some double cut models, the neck tenon already goes into the neck pickup route. My H535 is that way, and it's from 1998.

Archived