Heritage Owners Club

Rivera Pubster - Clubster - Jazz Suprema

tsp17

I've recently started to look at Rivera amps. The Pubster and Clubster are "reasonably" priced for what they are (American made high quality gig-able size/weight/wattage). I've only played the older Supreme 55 1x12 and was not so impressed. seemed a little boxy. I hear that the newer models address this issue. The Jazz Suprema is really intriguing. EL34 for jazz? I've not seen a jazz specific amp like that before, but it sure looks like a well considered jazz design (which is what i play 90% of the time). I am looking for a big fat warm and articulate clean sound. Think '65 TRRI, Heritage Liberty, or even a Tweed era just before breakup. I am very, very happy with my solid state rigs, and get tons of compliments on tone (just might be the Heritage 575MH or Comins GCS), but tubes keep tugging at my soul. Plus having a plug and play small portable tube combo is always attractive.

I was thinking about a Blues Jr. to mod, but by the time you are done with the time/hassle/money you could have bought a more solidly made amp, built to last right here in California.

Used Pubsters can be had for a nice price. Jazz Suprema is hard to come by and the most expensive.

Thinking about:

1. Pubster head 25 watts (6V6)
  2. Pubster or Clubster 1x12 45 watts (EL34)
  3. Jazz Suprema 1x12 55 watts (EL34)

Who's got experience with any of these amps? Thoughts? Others in this class and used price range?

thanks

t

Tad, a buddy of mine who is an accomplished jazz guitarist and teacher swears by his Jazz Suprema 15. Yes, his has a 15" speaker. It sounds gorgeous no matter what volume! He tells me that the 15's are custom order only and it is his "to the grave" amp. He only plays clean.

Another fine sounding jazz amp (EL34 powered)is the Peavey Delta Blues 15. It might suprise you, but that amp is great for many styles of music. From clean to overdriven, it pushes a lot of air from that big proprietary speaker.

You are also on the right track by naming Heritage Liberty, but any of the medium watt Heritage amps (Victory, Patriot, Burrell, etc.) would please a jazzer. Obviously the problem is finding one...and at a reasonable price.

If you are ever in the SF Bay Area, look me up and we'll do some tube amp test drives.

Tad, a buddy of mine who is an accomplished jazz guitarist and teacher swears by his Jazz Suprema 15. Yes, his has a 15" speaker. It sounds gorgeous no matter what volume! He tells me that the 15's are custom order only and it is his "to the grave" amp. He only plays clean.

Another fine sounding jazz amp (EL34 powered)is the Peavey Delta Blues 15. It might suprise you, but that amp is great for many styles of music. From clean to overdriven, it pushes a lot of air from that big proprietary speaker.

You are also on the right track by naming Heritage Liberty, but any of the medium watt Heritage amps (Victory, Patriot, Burrell, etc.) would please a jazzer. Obviously the problem is finding one...and at a reasonable price.

If you are ever in the SF Bay Area, look me up and we'll do some tube amp test drives.

very cool. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi tsp 17,

I used to play a RIVERA Clubster 25 to play real jazzy things. It's was the version with a 1 x 10 speaker. The guitar is used was a Heritage H 555. Once I checked it out with a 1 x 12 speaker box and this added some more low end to it. The sound was phantastic. Btw, I used solid state amps before, to play jazz and the results were great, too (Session Sessionette from the UK).

Anyway, the RIVERA Clubster is a great amp, very stable and light weight. The clean channel is tremendous (never liked the dirty channel). The price is very affordable. I payed 500 EUR here in Germany. The amp was as new and in mint condition. I'm very sure you'll will find the same amp in the USA for a much lower price.

If you can get a Clubster for an affordable price, grab it! :)

Greetings

wolfi

Archived