Heritage Owners Club

Which 150's have "long" tenons?

skydog

There's this post from earlier this year indicating Marv mentioned at last PSP that all the Heritages now have long tenons. Ren used to say they were all "long enough" :-). Safest bet is probably from 2011 - on. Before that probably their standard, which was always longer than recent Gibs, but may not have been "long tenon".

Long Tenon is really only an issue on LP guitars, and I don't see why there is such a huge deal about it. The neck joint area with a long tenon is HUGE, and also most of the tenon gets routed off when they make the hole for the pickup. Much more important than tenon length is how well it is fitted into the wood. You need it close enough for nice sound conduction but there still needs to be a tiny bit of room for the glue to get in.

All Heritages from 2010 til now show have long tenons.

That said, my four 150s have the shorter tenons and I can't tell the difference. And I believe I have a pretty "critical ear" when it comes to tone and sustain.

Long Tenon is really only an issue on LP guitars, and I don't see why there is such a huge deal about it.

I think it's only because Ed Roman, may he rest in peace, made it a big deal. Say what you will about him, but he was one very influential cat.

I think it's only because Ed Roman, may he rest in peace, made it a big deal. Say what you will about him, but he was one very influential cat.

Yeah. I just don't get the point. If you are talking about a double cutaway model, then it's obvious that the neck tenon should go into the neck pickup area. SG's are made that way. Heritage 535s have always been made that way, as far as I know.

Of course, right now some of my favorite guitars are bolt ons, so what do I know?

Archived