Heritage Owners Club

Dead Horse Amps - The Ultimate Boutique Amp

I was over at a friend's house the other day and he had this incredible amp. The logo was a horse lying on its back, appearing to be dead. I had never seen one before, or even heard of them: Dead Horse amps. They don't have a website. Advertisement is strictly by word of mouth. They're not supposed to be super expensive at all, but they're supposed to be almost impossible to get. You don't get one unless you go through some type of audition, which can be conducted in person or via Skype or something similar, but they have to be able to see you playing before they agree to build you one. It's not about how good you are or how good you sound, more like "how true to your sound" they consider you to be. You could be a beginner and get one, the same way you could be a pro and be turned down. You only get in touch with them by referral from a Dead Horse amp original owner. If you sell the amp without giving them the right of first refusal, you get blacklisted and can never purchase another amp from them again.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Different folks. They only build amps.

Sounds like a half-assed attempt at the Alexander Dumble hogwash. I got no time for that sort of crap. build it, sell it. Don't build it, don't sell it. Pick a side and go. Clever for the sake of clever, isn't really that clever.

In the immortal words of Han Solo "Bring it on, I prefer a good fight to all this sneaking around."

sounds like the amp/soup nazis

"No more amps for you!"

That's good shit. I miss Seinfeld

There are too many good amps available to play games like that. Either sell me the amp. Or don't. If not, I'll find one that I want elsewhere.

Bingo

Sounds like a half-assed attempt at the Alexander Dumble hogwash. I got no time for that sort of crap. build it, sell it. Don't build it, don't sell it. Pick a side and go. Clever for the sake of clever, isn't really that clever.

In the immortal words of Han Solo "Bring it on, I prefer a good fight to all this sneaking around."

There are too many good amps available to play games like that. Either sell me the amp. Or don't. If not, I'll find one that I want elsewhere.

'Bout says it for me.

I've heard about those guys ( or that guy? ) I don't think it's an "audition"...they just want to get an idea of how you play, so they can voice the amp

the skype thing came up if they can't talk to you in in person

apparently the shop is an old cabin in the middle of nowhere

you go through some type of audition, which can be conducted in person or via Skype or something similar, but they have to be able to see you playing before they agree to build you one. It's not about how good you are or how good you sound, more like "how true to your sound" they consider you to be. You could be a beginner and get one, the same way you could be a pro and be turned down. You only get in touch with them by referral from a Dead Horse amp original owner. If you sell the amp without giving them the right of first refusal, you get blacklisted and can never purchase another amp from them again.

too old for this bullsh*t.

I have a feeling this thread is only going to get funnier. Hopefully we won't beat a dead horse. (insert boos and hisses here)

Sorry, too much coffee this morning. :laughing6::happy6::icon_bounce::help::tongue3::tongue7::violent1::toothy12::dance_mini::chok_mini:

Ok, so...before this thing gets out of hand, let me tell you the rest of the story...

I did see the amp at my friend's house. It was an old bass amp (not sure how old, and it seemed to be in decent shape), with the Mustang (car) logo glued to the front of the amp, but upside down. I told my friend it looked like a dead horse that way. He agreed, and we had a laugh about it. I then told him he should name it Dead Horse amp.

The rest of the story was an attempt at poking fun at the "boutique amp" (usually excessive) mystique that seems to surround some fo the specialty amps out there. Brent nailed it when he mentioned the soup nazi, Gitfiddler also nailed it with the comment about urban legend, and I was getting a kick out of the other comments. Yes, Dumble comes to mind, as well. Some day, I want to have a Dumble clone and call it "Smartle".

Ok, so...before this thing gets out of hand, let me tell you the rest of the story...

I did see the amp at my friend's house. It was an old bass amp (not sure how old, and it seemed to be in decent shape), with the Mustang (car) logo glued to the front of the amp, but upside down. I told my friend it looked like a dead horse that way. He agreed, and we had a laugh about it. I then told him he should name it Dead Horse amp.

The rest of the story was an attempt at poking fun at the "boutique amp" (usually excessive) mystique that seems to surround some fo the specialty amps out there. Brent nailed it when he mentioned the soup nazi, Gitfiddler also nailed it with the comment about urban legend, and I was getting a kick out of the other comments. Yes, Dumble comes to mind, as well. Some day, I want to have a Dumble clone and call it "Smartle".

well done!!! Well played. Dont take this wrong but, excellent troll thread :) I mean that in a flattering way.

Here! here! I second the well done. You had me hook, line and sinker.

As I was reading it, I was thinking how glad I was that Marv didn't require an audition before he did my 357.

He probably would have asked for the rest of my Heritages back and revoked my HOC membership. :)

Archived