Heritage Owners Club

Finish vs value

goSteelers

This is a highly subjective topic, of course, but when looking at a used Heritage, I'm wondering if the impact of the finish on the value can be quantified. For example, from just reading posts on this forum, and looking at ebay sales, I believe a few general statements can be made about the dollar value of Heritages (assuming all other things are equal, one guitar to another):

1) Sunbursts of one sort or another have the highest value, although some sunbursts (e.g. cherryburst) do not command the same price as others.

2) Translucent finishes seem to be the next most valuable, with variances there as well (e.g. lighter colors seem to be favored over translucent black)

3) Solid colors are the least favored, and there is probably a ranking within those finishes as well, but I don't know what it is. The most common solids are red, gold, and black.

Again, I know this is highly subjective, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but these are trends that I have noticed. And certainly, the importance of finish, when considering a purchase, varies a lot from person to person.

So, in trying to figure out how much to pay for a particular Heritage, where there are relatively few data points to go by, can the effect of finish on the value be quantified? Assuming, for example, a Heritage with your most favorite sunburst was worth 100% of $xxxx dollars to you. What would your least favorite sunburst be worth to you? 90%? How about your most favorite translucent? Least favorite translucent? Red, gold or black solid? If everything else were exactly the same, one guitar to another.

Just wondering . . .

Only the individual purchaser will determine a given instruments true value, however, from what I've seen, the greatest factor is the quality of wood.

For example an AAAA Maple guitar is always going to be worth more than a Plain Maple bodied instrument.

The guitar is worth what you are willing to pay for it.

I usually dislike verything eleryone else likes and vice-versa.

Example: LOTS of people LOVE Goldtops. Me, least favorite color.

I don't think the finish contributes to the cost of a used instrument as much as damage to the instruments detracts from the value instrument.

Don't overalalyze it and just buy what you think you will like.

You left out blonds.

Yeah, I thought about that when I was listing the finish types. I don't know if they are a separate type, or a translucent.

Regarding the other replies -- of course everyone will have their own preference, and you should buy what you like -- but there is definitely a trend in what people are willing to pay for different finishes. I'm just trying to collect some data on how each individual here values the different finishes.

I'm just trying to collect some data on how each individual here values the different finishes.

I think, as Tim has observed, given the gorgeous lumber Heritage has access to, the most popular finishes would likely be those which show the wood off to its greatest advantage. Also, having been on The HOC since 2007, I would observe that the demographic to which Heritage guitars appeal is older, more traditional, and had their formative experiences owning guitars with those instruments of the Fifties and Sixties. Those instruments owed much, of course, to the instruments of the first half of the Twentieth Century. Thus, the more conservative and traditional sunbursts and blonds of early Gibsons and Fenders, as well as D'Angelico, et.al. would have exerted heavy influence to those of us so taken by Heritage's guitars.

Yeah, I thought about that when I was listing the finish types. I don't know if they are a separate type, or a translucent.

Regarding the other replies -- of course everyone will have their own preference, and you should buy what you like -- but there is definitely a trend in what people are willing to pay for different finishes. I'm just trying to collect some data on how each individual here values the different finishes.

Seems like some makers charge more for natural as they want to use the most attractive woods, since it's going to be totally exposed.

I tend to be willing to spend a little more to get the color I want. Not rational, but cheaper than therapy.

The color usually plays second fiddle for me. Its icing on the cake, but I certainly won't pay a bunch extra just because it sunburst, or Brockaburst, or something like that. I actually like red semi's the best, followed by natural. My 140 is classic cherry burst or clownburst if you prefer. My 535 is cherry and the 525 is natural. They look MAAAHHVELOUS!

If a guitar plays great, and sounds great, THAT is the thing that drags out the wallet.

This statement is not always true, but in general, the solid colors are often used to cover up lesser quality wood. When I'm judging a guitar, i look at the underlying wood first, and the stain or color second. Is the wood heavily flamed, or marbled, or is it pretty but ordinary. Some like to see mineral stains in the wood (they are part of the wood, not the stain on the wood). You would also want to see if it was a one piece or two piece body. I know there are a whole lot of other fine points that folks on here talk about so I suspect some of the more discerning members on the HOC can add more info than I have. Brent would be a good one to ask.

Some guys will jump on something because they dig the curly top. Some dump a great looking Heritage cause they don't like the neck. Playability, sound, feel, looks, cost, color all in the eyes, ears and hands of the buyer.

I got my H150 because I liked the way it sounded and played. I think it looks nice in black with cream but, I couldn't choose the color. I bought it used because it was available. I've had some beautiful (and expensive) guitars that wouldn't get played for fear of scratching them, so, the fact that my guitar is a solid color is in fact more valuable to me.

...... having been on The HOC since 2007, I would observe that the demographic to which Heritage guitars appeal is older, more traditional, and had their formative experiences owning guitars with those instruments of the Fifties and Sixties.

I agree. There are not too many young bucks willing to hop the train to 225 Parsons. When my pants slide off my ass it's because my back side has been worn down by time like a rock in a swift stream. Not because of fashion.

You can get a great color to top that wood with that will extract more beauty out of the wood than a clear finish. I told Marv I wanted my Firebird to look like the evening sky in the Fall. That's what they did.

I told Marv I wanted my Firebird to look like the evening sky in the Fall. That's what they did.

Hey Sir Farts Alot, that was so poetic I think I teared up :) Myself, I just want the top to be big fat flame maple!!! No plain tops for me, or solid

colors, unless it's a vintage goldtop with P90's!

H4.jpg

c9dfa8fd-014f-456e-9061-0050c4635f98.jpg

I appreciate the responses here, but most of them miss the point of the question. Of course finish is not the most important thing when picking a guitar. Thats' why I stated, when comparing the value of different finishes, assume "everything else were exactly the same, one guitar to another".

Here's is perhaps another way to state the question:

Imagine that you are at a guitar shop and there is a row of Heritages lined up. They are all identical, except for the finish. They all have the same tone that you like a lot, the same neck that you like a lot, your favorite wood grain, they all weigh the same, etc., etc. They start out being all the same price, so you pick your favorite finish, because they are all otherwise identical. What finish did you pick? Now, before you put down the cash, the store owner walks up to you and says, "If you buy one of the other ones instead, I will give you a discount." How much of a discount (%) would the owner need to give you to put down your favorite finish and go with your next favorite one (and what finish is that)? Your least favorite one? In this hypothetical scenario, assume that there is no limit on the discount the owner is willing to offer, so you might say "I would need a 50% discount to go with my least favorite finish", for example.

I appreciate the responses here, but most of them miss the point of the question. Of course finish is not the most important thing when picking a guitar. Thats' why I stated, when comparing the value of different finishes, assume "everything else were exactly the same, one guitar to another".

Imagine that you are at a guitar shop and there is a row of Heritages lined up. They are all identical, except for the finish. They all have the same tone that you like a lot, the same neck that you like a lot, your favorite wood grain, they all weigh the same, etc., etc. They start out being all the same price, so you pick your favorite finish, because they are all otherwise identical. What finish did you pick? Now, before you put down the cash, the store owner walks up to you and says, "If you buy one of the other ones instead, I will give you a discount." How much of a discount (%) would the owner need to give you to put down your favorite finish and go with your next favorite one (and what finish is that)? Your least favorite one? In this hypothetical scenario, assume that there is no limit on the discount the owner is willing to offer, so you might say "I would need a 50% discount to go with my least favorite finish", for example.

Once I got to the place of picking out my favorite finish in your scenario and reached for my wallet, I would probably pass up the discount and buy the one I had picked out at full price. Then I would make the store owner a lowball offer on buying a second guitar. I can just hear you smacking yourself in the forehead right about now. :P

Guest HRB853370

But finish is irrelevant in the grand scheme! Does the finish make it sound better? Play better? Help get more chicks? I say NO to all three! I say go with the discounted model and pocket the cash.

Quantifications, aesthetical value , analytical comparisons, hypothetical scenario's............................................ :icon_salut:

Here is my opinion on paying more for a guitar depending on it's finish.

Assume "everything else were exactly the same, one guitar to another".

Solid colors, black +$0 all other colors +$25 a nice gold top +$35

Translucent finishes black +$50 other colors +$75

burst finishes +$100 to $150 depending on how much I like the colors in the burst.

AAA top over a AA top +$200 to +$300 depending on finish.

Here is my opinion on paying more for a guitar depending on it's finish.

Assume "everything else were exactly the same, one guitar to another".

Solid colors, black +$0 all other colors +$25 a nice gold top +$35

Translucent finishes black +$50 other colors +$75

burst finishes +$100 to $150 depending on how much I like the colors in the burst.

AAA top over a AA top +$200 to +$300 depending on finish.

I think I agree with everything here, maybe add a little more for Gold Top.

The grade of the wood will be the biggest cost factor, at least + $300 for premium top. And for a rare quilt or blur maple top, I would add even more.

Bottom line, grade of wood + popular color (VSB or ASB or OSB) = most resale value

Like attempting to quantify skin tone on beautiful women....

+1000 Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! If you like it buy it.. Jus Sayin..

Archived