Heritage Owners Club

Amp Flub...

DetroitBlues

I love my old Traynor, but I really want to plug straight into and play clean... For some reason, if the volume is up past 10 o'clock, it get the bottom end flub/rattle... Is it the cab? The old speaker? Both?

I thought about replacing the speaker, but is there more I should think about?

FWIW. I always associated low end flub with the speaker. The cab can add low end boom, absorb certain frequencies to reduce the fullness of the sound, buzz, rattle, etc. but I don't think it adds flub. Others may know more though, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Maybe your traynor breaks up in the lower frequencies early and unfavorably. Some amps do. Do you have a spare cab to run it through to test it?

This is the first thing you should do. It will tell you if it's the amp itself or the speaker.

Has the amp ever been serviced with new electrolytic capacitors? The loss of bass and "tightness" are one of the signs of failing power supply caps.

This is the first thing you should do. It will tell you if it's the amp itself or the speaker.

Has the amp ever been serviced with new electrolytic capacitors? The loss of bass and "tightness" are one of the signs of failing power supply caps.

DB, listen to "the amp whisperer", Mike has diagnosed more issues for me and saved me at least, hundreds of dollars.

Actually had KBP do a bunch to the amp to replace a bunch of old parts, particularly the caps... I'll try an extension cab. The speaker in it is some old Jenson.

what speaker is in there?

also you can roll off the bass on the amp...I find when you turn amps up past bedroom levels the bass needs to be turned down a bit

That's been my experience as well..

Took a little detour today after visiting with KBP and some other ex coworkers, stopped by a local shop to look for a used 2x12 cab. Found a used Eminence Wizard (supposedly from Bruce Egnator's private collection from trial and error days). Slapped it in the amp tonight, no more flub. Very loud, very Marshall like, and just awesome. Maybe I can gig with the amp after all. But the larger magnet increased the weight significantly...

Take a look...

image_zps61975fb8.jpg

By the way... Should a speaker be secured by only two screws?

If weight is a concern, you can try a neodymium speaker. I have a friend who swears by the Eminence "Lil Texas". It's American voiced and he has one in his Carr Rambler. Celestion makes a Century Vintage neo which is also very good but is British voiced.

I have a Wizard in my 2x12 cab. Good stuff! It is British voiced, though. The Lil' Texas is a crisp, tight, good blues and rock speaker. My amp guy is an Eminence dealer, and he moves a lot of these. I'm a big fan of Eminence speakers.

It looks like a C12R, which is a 15 watt speaker with a 1" voice coil and 10oz. magnet Not very efficient. .

Could that be the "flub" Josh was getting? Well, obviously it was. But the under powered, non-efficient part of it. Not enough speaker for the amp?

Another fan of Eminance speakers here. I have the Texas Heat in my HRD. It's staying.

Me too, I put Patriot Red white and Blues in my blackfaced 73 Twin.

Have heard good things about the Texas Heat and Canabis Rex models

Archived