Heritage Owners Club

Why is Gibson still so prevalent and Heritage not so much on the major player scene?

skydog

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can get a Gibson anywhere, especially if they have an issue on tour. They can also get a Gibson in a matter of weeks, if not days, custom for them. Gibson also has Reps that meet their needs. If Warren Haynes needs something, Gibson can have it to him, Fed Ex, overnight.

There is also the consistency of CNC machining that if a major artist wants the exact same neck carve on their next guitar, it will be exactly the same.

I am not saying these things make for a better guitar, but they are more appealing for a major touring artist that doesn't want excuses but wants to be pampered and catered to immediately...... Just ask Alex Skolnick.....

Heritage will never get the "heavy hitters" because they will not take the next step and step into the 21st Century. They make a great instrument, but they have no desire to acquire big stars and promote them. Alex Skolnick is the perfect example...that was their big chance to break out into the new generation..the Metal scene. I lent my AS H 150 to Heritage for the NAMM show in CA in 2013 so that there would be one at the show in case Alex stopped by for an appearance....and he did.

I'm kind of glad that Heritage remains a small, personal concern. As a customer, I was able to deal with them pretty much the way my customers were able to deal with me and they were both willing and able to build me a very specialized guitar pretty as a result. I can safely say that Gibson would not have been even slightly interested. So Gibson may have the name and the size, but in many ways it's the absence of that makes Heritage the company I chose to deal with. I don't need that decision validated by corporate acclaim. My decision gets validation every time I pick up my guitar.

I lent my AS H 150 to Heritage for the NAMM show in CA in 2013 so that there would be one at the show in case Alex stopped by for an appearance....and he did.

that's very cool Brent! did he rock your 150?

Maybe because Gibson has been around for over 100 years.

Heritage is coming up on their 30th.

Who knows?

The nice thing about Heritage vs Gibson is that if you are a big touring star and want Gibson to make you a Les Paul with a particular carve and special pickups with a special finish, they'll probably make it for you. If you're a regular guy and want Gibson to do that... good luck.

If you want Heritage to make you a guitar with a particular carve, special finish and special pickups, they'll most likely do it for you, as several here can attest.

Gibson is a major branding machine, with millions upon millions of advertising and marketing dollars. They have leveraged that along with their historic point of reference to make themselves more than just a guitar. They have very successfully built their brand up to icon status. I will be the first guy to tell you that the thing that matters is the player not the industry but I doubt I'm the only one that still gets a little tingle in his pants when he sees a beautiful burst with Gibson on the head stock.

There are many reasons why Gibson prevails. Quality isn't really a major factor either way.

Now that Vince is out of the picture, I'm more worried. I do care for their future and support their mission.

First I heard that Vince Margol is not longer with Heritage.

What? Vince is gone? Can somebody confirm/deny this asap? Do not mean to hijack the thread - but his vigor and *cash* infusion - aside from his legal expertise- was imo an integral part of why Heritage had a chance to close a perceived gap in market viability of the old crew vs the new crew - especially in light of the fact that Gibson has a significant global marketing budget and Heritage relies almost entirely on WoM and a select group of people who want "unobtanium" e.g. vintage instruments that are fresh of the factory line and buy multiple units as much for pride in ownership as a form of pre-emptive hoarding of said unobtanium from an iconic group of aging maestro builders.

For disclosure - I am a long time artist manager and Alex Skolnick used to be one of my clients - although he hasn't been for 3+ years now. I drafted the artist deal with Vince for the AS Heritage guitar. Vince was/is a complete gentleman - I hope all is well. I really enjoyed working with him.

Couple of footnotes... Alex is 100% a true blue guy and means every word he ever said about Heritage. It was a lot of fun working with Alex on what designs he liked for the guitar and talking about relieved and un-relieved mahogany bodies, headstock binding, signature inlays, fret markers and much more. He is a HUGE fan of the company. At NAMM - he would have to hang his prototype up on the wall. And we had to laminate marketing materials for the booth on our own to help promote this - if you saw this at the booth - I made it myself.

One other key note, every single electric manufacturer with a serious marketing budget approached him then (before and after too, I am sure) to acquire his endorsement. He literally passed on a bunch of money to work with Heritage as he was so deeply committed to the product and craftsman at Heritage. I believe that if he is playing ESP now that guitar must be a killer. I know he cherishes his Sweet 16 in the Gretsch orange and he used his signature model on stages all around the world.

Cheers! Eric

Eric - Thanks for sharing that. I don't listen to much metal nor have I met Alex Skolnick, but I have and really like one of his jazz releases and have seen some of his interviews and the like. He seems to be a genuine, fairly humble and of course extremely talented person. Based on my years in the music industry those kinds of people are exceptionally rare.

I think it's unfortunate he moved on from the Heritage deal, but I can imagine a touring artist with a signature model would like to be able get one fairly quickly if needed. Similarly, if a fan wanted one I'd guess Mr. Skolnick didn't like that it could take a few months and some perseverance.

Turning to the original question, I think those are major reasons why Gibson is so much more prevalent. Of course the company has major resources dedicated to marketing and endorsement and has the brand, as does Fender. Even PRS, while a much smaller company, evidently considers its artist endorsements vital. Another consideration is the availability in stores. However we may feel about the large chain stores, a pretty major percentage of people looking to buy the first guitar go to one.

As an aside regarding to the statement that major players are able to afford anything they want; well, not always. Certainly many of the best known guitarists are very well heeled, but many more aren't as wealthy as we may think, especially considering that they need a lot of support people, that their income is not steady and that the music industry is a messed up, bizarre, fickle place with a lot of politics, personality issues and shifts in public taste, so the income could stop at almost any time. I can say that I've met quite a few well known musicians, especially in jazz and blues. While I have no idea what their finances were they did not appear to have an extravagant lifestyles. A few even seemed to be struggling to get by.

Guest HRB853370

Maybe because Gibson has been around for over 100 years.

Heritage is coming up on their 30th.

Who knows?

To me Heritage is just an extension of the original Gibson, when they made guitars the way the did prior to going to Nashville. So you can pretty much say Heritage has been around much longer than the 30 years, just under a different name. Combined guitarmaking experience between Marv, Bill, and Ren? About 150 years!!

Guest HRB853370

While I have no idea what their finances were they did not appear to have an extravagant lifestyles. A few even seemed to be struggling to get by.

And if you look at what many of them are playing, they are instruments that they have had for decades.......not the newest and latest signature offering on the market. You have exceptions such as Slash, Zak Wilde, etc...

Guest HRB853370

Not every Les Paul played by a star is made by Gibsons. Just like Teles and Strats played by major big name artists aren't always made by Fender.

Well, if it was not made by "Gibsons", then it is not a Les Paul, it would be some other model that looks like a Les Paul but with a different headstock. Is this what you are meaning to say? Same for the company "Fenders"...............

Archived