Heritage Owners Club

Joyo American Sound

I've been following a guy named Shane on the YouTube channel, Intheblues. He did a demo and a comparison of a new amp simulator pedal, the Joyo American Sound. It's a clone pedal of the Tech 21 Character Series Blonde. It's a pedal designed to match the tones of the tweed era Fender amps. This clone pedal, matched with Mr. Black Deluxe Plus, into a Tech 21 Power Engine, in my ears sounds like I'm playing a real Fender Tweed Deluxe, Bassman, Deluxe Reverb, and more with just a turn of the knobs.

Not bad for a $40 pedal...

Those JoYo pedals are pretty decent copies of the TECH21 pedals. I have the British Sound pedal (BTW: still available in the FS section). Does pretty nice plexi sounds.

He did post a comparison results, I believe A was the pedal. I have it now and I love it.

So how do you use it, Detroit? Are you plugging guitar into pedal, into a speaker or PA system?

Guitar > Joyo American Sound > Mr. Black Deluxe Plus > Tech 21 Power Engine.

and is the Tech 21 Power Engine simply a speaker?

For the price, it's worth it...

Arrived today. DB is 100% right. Dollar for dollar, a great value. Sounds tremendous. I really try to buy locally made goods most of the time, but sound wise this one competes with boutique pedals 3-4 times the price.

Cool, glad you like it. I haven't turned my Traynor on since I hooked this thing up. I do find it sounds better when you add a touch of reverb to it....

40 bucks?

Wow, at that price I feel obligated to buy it. Does GC stock these pedals?

Listen to the clips above... Shane had mentioned that the tell tale for the actual amp versus the pedal is the speaker hiss on the amp, and the pedal was clean. I cannot judge one way or the other because the Tech 21 has its own hiss I have to correct with a XLR loop plug.

I do find it sounds better when you add a touch of reverb to it....

Exactly right. I've got it in front of my PRRI with the reverb on 2-3. Sounds big, harmonically rich...

Try it plugged into a stereo or in the effects loop of an amp...

i want to confirm, IMHO, this pedal is good. it is definitely producing tweed tones very well. Hard to imagine that a Formula 5 is $100 better sounding, but maybe...

DB-i put it in the effects loop of a solid state amp and it certainly livened it up a lot. With the solid state amp (Acoustic Image Clarus 2R) i had to crank the pedal "voice" and "drive" knobs and the amp reverb much higher to get the desired effect, but i got it.

It sounds great in front of my PRRI. Easy to dial in 5E3 Tweed Deluxe style clean and driven tones. With the solid state i'd say it was more in Champ 5F1 territory so far. Not too shabby for a $40 pedal.

it certainly has deferred my 5E3 AAS, but i can still feel it lurking. maybe bought myself 6-12 months. It will certainly hold me long enough to have patience for a nice clone to pop up locally. i think i am all done buying amps without playing them first, especially with shipping risk. 2 of the three amps i've ordered in the last 2 years have been damaged in shipping. one badly, and one moderately.

thanks DB for this great tip.

Archived