Heritage Owners Club

NAD- Gallien-Krueger

kidsmoke

And no, it's NOT a bass amp.

I've come to learn that if you were playing guitar in the 80's (I wasn't) you likely know all about this amp. Since buying it, I've had several conversations with gear heads where they smile and go "it looks like "this" right?, yeah, cool little amp!"

That being the case, I don't know why they aren't more common, or why GK stopped making guitar amps, because this is just a ridiculously practical, versatile, competent little machine.

It's a GK 250ML. As I understand it, they were only made for a couple/three years in the mid 80's. There are two versions, of which this is the second.

Solid State

50 watt

2x4.5

and get this....

-2 channels

1 clean with gain switch and compression switch

1 dirty with gain switch

-parabolic EQ in 4 different bands- no tone knobs or bass treble for this baby.

-two on board effects, echo (which comes off sounding more like a reverb with ever so slight a repeat) and Chorus

-2 button footswitch - between channels, and effects on/off

-headphone jack

Speaker mute switch

D.I. XLR output

STEREO speaker out

Effects loop

All in a package smaller than a 12-pak

I mean, it's nuts. What a fantastic practice/studio/live amp.

I used it last weekend at my open mic, run through the PA. Takes pedals great. Had it set up for any electric guitarist to plug into and several did.

Supposedly this is the amp was used by Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden for the Somewhere in Time album, using this amp driving a Marshall 4x12 and a Tube Screamer.

I got from the original owner complete with footswitch, and everything works. My purposes are as an amp to lug to group classes, to have available for open mic events on stage, and as a practice amp with headphones at home.

Anyone here have any history with one of these?

( Beer bottle for size reference and kalamazoo credibility only )

56ab02a8b7ee9c9676b60592d9c77b4f_zps38b6

7631396840960b2db043e56b242e1b00_zps0de6

I had one of those in the mid 80s....( first version) If I remember it sounded pretty good. I think the downfall was that the effects were not adjustable. I wouldnt mind having one of those for open jamms.... How much are they going for nowadays?

I had one of those in the mid 80s....( first version) If I remember it sounded pretty good. I think the downfall was that the effects were not adjustable. I wouldnt mind having one of those for open jamms.... How much are they going for nowadays?

Yep, they are basic settings which are serviceable, but clearly only intended as a convenience, what with an effects loop for those so inclined.

200 - 300 is what I found when researching. My local Chicago re-seller (the most frequented used gear dealer in Chicago) says he usually lists them for the high end of that range. I've found him to be good to stellar range on most items I've sourced (my 535 was $1100.00 from him)

I bought this on CL from the original owner for 225.

they started making those here about the time i got out of high school. anyway, they still carry a lot of old manuals

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/support/product-manuals/

even though they stopped making guitar & other amps a long time ago.

enjoy,

j

Very cool! thank you. It's a pretty straightforward little bugger, but that's a great resource.

Archived