Heritage Owners Club

difference between first and second generation H-140's

drewmill

Hi Drew, Welcome to the HoC.

Biggest difference is the move from the sharp Florentine cutaway to the rounder Venetian (LP, H150, etc) cutaway. Other than that, I think specs remain the same. It's a slightly smaller body than the H150. thinking they may have added a slight belly cut to it, too. Not sure, tho'.

Playable or desireable - that's more of a personal thing, I'd think.

1st Generation H-140

cdc2196e-49ae-465e-8b24-e346ea321d4a_zps

2nd Generation H-140

h140_h.jpg

H 140 Specifications :

24- 3/4” scale
22 fret bound dot rosewood board
Joins at 16th fret
Solid mahogany neck
17” length solid mahogany body
Upgraded curly maple, cream bound top
12- 1/2” width with 1- 5/8” rim

I've owned both H-140's. The 2nd generation had a nice belly cut. The neck, from memory, was a nice D shape, but not 50's round. The other I had was from the 1st year of incorporation back in the 80's. The neck was 60's slim. They were both very comfortable instruments, but I favored the 2nd's neck. If you find a 2nd with HRW's, you won't be disappointed.

Nice to hear from you Mr Twang. Great handle btw.

I've always shied away from the 140s because of the florentine cut but I could go for one of the second gen with that belly cut..

It makes me rethink

Thanks Chico. The Twang comes from a G&L pine tele with a belly cut I am currently cutting my teeth on. BTW I am in the market for an H-140 (recent 08 to present) with a Florentine cutaway. I'll probably post a WTB soon.

I believe the '08 to present would be a Venetian cutaway. I'm not quite sure when the change took place.

Here's my '89 custom order 140, which was refinished from cherry sunburst to tobacco sunburst by Jack Briggs.

Picture1876.jpg

post-408-0-83755000-1398520811_thumb.jpg

Heritage still has the patterns to build a first generation 140 or a 147. Any neck carve, bridge, pickups or finish. This build took five months and was delivered December of 2013.

Archived