Heritage Owners Club

Strap Pins for Heritages

peterbright

I just came across these: Grover-Trophy Custom Designed Eagle Strap Buttons Chrome that look interesting

I use regular old Schaller strap locks 99% of the time. I have Dunlops and have never had an issue with them. I just feel like the Schaller design is a bit more secure. On my '56 Junior, I use the plastic Dunlop locks that go over the stock buttons. That way I can keep the original buttons on it, as the screw size is much larger than the Schallers can accommodate.

Dunlop Dual Design Straplok System

Sweetwater has them for $10.99

I use these... delivered to and installed at 225 Parsons Street. I would rather have it drilled and screwed once. You can mail it to Bill / Ren no charge for the factory install.

Are the Dunlop and Schaller buttons interchangeable? In other words, can you fasten a schaller straplock equipped strap to a guitar with dunlop buttons and vice versa?

Are the Dunlop and Schaller buttons interchangeable? In other words, can you fasten a schaller straplock equipped strap to a guitar with dunlop buttons and vice versa?

Unfortunately, no. There's always the Grolsch bottle washer route too if you don't mind leaving the strap on the guitar.

Okay, Scott. I've got 5 guitars set up with schallers. If they aren't interchangeable, I guess I'll just continue to use them for any new guitars or straps I buy.

Okay, Scott. I've got 5 guitars set up with schallers. If they aren't interchangeable, I guess I'll just continue to use them for any new guitars or straps I buy.

Good plan. We tried to have both Schaller and Dunlop on the various guitars around here, but inevitably, the straps find themselves to the other side. Embarrassing when you show up to a gig and the correct strap you're sure you packed has somehow magically turned into the wrong connector. So, we are a Dunlop only family and any guitar can be used with any strap, magic or no.

BTW, the Schaller's ARE excellent, and really the only reason I don't use them is I have trouble not distorting the strap around the hole when installing them on the strap. Pretty sure it's pilot error on my end, plus my hands aren't what they used to be after 15 years of rheumatoid arthritis. Schaller away, and play worry free, amigo !

I like those small oldstyle Gibson ones, because a steel washer fits right onto it & holds the strap on so it won't fall off

I'm probably in the minority though

I am a washer guy too. I use over sized buttons but the washer will fit over the bottom just fine. Don't take chances......

I plan to give the 2014 Gibson oversized buttons a try. From the site:

It also the potential to be the absolutely most important new feature if it prevents your guitar from crashing to the ground and suffering severe, or even fatal, damage. The new strap button is the largest size possible that still lets you use a conventional strap slot, and its oversized end makes it much harder for the strap to slide offeven if youre a really physical player who likes to swing your guitar around.

Good plan. We tried to have both Schaller and Dunlop on the various guitars around here, but inevitably, the straps find themselves to the other side. Embarrassing when you show up to a gig and the correct strap you're sure you packed has somehow magically turned into the wrong connector. So, we are a Dunlop only family and any guitar can be used with any strap, magic or no.

BTW, the Schaller's ARE excellent, and really the only reason I don't use them is I have trouble not distorting the strap around the hole when installing them on the strap. Pretty sure it's pilot error on my end, plus my hands aren't what they used to be after 15 years of rheumatoid arthritis. Schaller away, and play worry free, amigo !

That's my only gripe with the Schallers. I always wind up having to take an exacto knife to the strap.

Archived