Heritage Owners Club

Heritage HC 575 Strings

Oldfartfret

I just purchased my first Heritage H575. I think it must have lived most of it's life in a barn...

I need to polish the frats and oil the frat board. I not sure which strings I should use. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reading.

I use flatwound 11's for jazz on my 575. If you're not into jazz, then ask for D'Addario Vintage roundwound 11's.

George Benson Thomastic Infield Flatwound 12s. Best strings I have ever used and nearly even tension across all strings.

You've just unleashed hell with that question.

Kuz has an excellent suggestion.

If you want something slightly brighter and definitely cheaper, D'Addario has Half Rounds. Alex Skolnick does his jazz work on them with a 575.

Pyramid flatwounds with a round core are pretty much the same as Kuz's suggestion with a little different set of string thicknesses. These are also less expensive but of equal quality.

The most popular flatwounds among jazz players are the D'Addario flatwounds. They are not as bright as Pyramids or Thomastiks but a hell of a lot cheaper.

I'd encourage you to push toward heavier strings. George Benson did most, if not all, of his recording the last decade and more with 14's. He used the 12's or 14's on his tours.

Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell and Johnny Smith used 13's or 14's. Pat Martino uses 16's.

There is a boldness you can only get with heavier strings. There's a lot more metal vibrating in that magnetic field. If you are using distortion or overdrive, I doubt that the string heaviness matters much. Playing clean, it does. Even the old surf music used heavy flatwounds.

The heavier the string, the lower the action, at least to a degree.

Here's a recording of Howard Roberts. He used 16's. It doesn't sound like fat strings slowed this guy down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxwVZ4h5PTM

I'd suggest you inch up from whatever you're using to at least 12's but preferable higher, especially on a short scale 575.

You've just unleashed hell with that question.

Kuz has an excellent suggestion.

If you want something slightly brighter and definitely cheaper, D'Addario has Half Rounds. Alex Skolnick does his jazz work on them with a 575.

Pyramid flatwounds with a round core are pretty much the same as Kuz's suggestion with a little different set of string thicknesses. These are also less expensive but of equal quality.

The most popular flatwounds among jazz players are the D'Addario flatwounds. They are not as bright as Pyramids or Thomastiks but a hell of a lot cheaper.

I'd encourage you to push toward heavier strings. George Benson did most, if not all, of his recording the last decade and more with 14's. He used the 12's or 14's on his tours.

Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell and Johnny Smith used 13's or 14's. Pat Martino uses 16's.

There is a boldness you can only get with heavier strings. There's a lot more metal vibrating in that magnetic field. If you are using distortion or overdrive, I doubt that the string heaviness matters much. Playing clean, it does. Even the old surf music used heavy flatwounds.

The heavier the string, the lower the action, at least to a degree.

Here's a recording of Howard Roberts. He used 16's. It doesn't sound like fat strings slowed this guy down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxwVZ4h5PTM

I'd suggest you inch up from whatever you're using to at least 12's but preferable higher, especially on a short scale 575.

Sorry about that MartyGras... I stopped by my instructors place today and we had the string discussion. He recommed 12's. now the question is flats or rounds. I think I'm going to try 12's in flat, but I'm going to buy a pack of rounds too. They are easy to change and I want to see which sound I like better.

This is my first hollow body short scale and the nicest guitar I have ever owned. It sounds amazing.

I'll try to get some pictures uploaded.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Archived