Heritage Owners Club

The Recent Unpleasantness

Administrator

I know there were issues related to the mobile redirects. Was that the primary driver for the rebuild? You mentioned the 'former' web hosting company; is HOC now hosted from your home or did you find a more supportive vendor?

Regardless, thanks for all of your effort. Believe me, I understand how difficult it can be to chase down web server issues. What promises to be easy and straight-forward often is not.

The mobile redirects were one of several issues. Initial attempts to 'clean' the install post-exploit was a) not easily verifiable as to completeness and b ) left me feeling very anxious. The board has been through several iterations of conversion, upgrade, patch, patch, upgrade, patch, conversion, etc. I may be weird, but after too much of that I start feeling like I want a clean install with the latest code as the base.

We now sit on a shiny, new, overpowered system with a new provider. I have complete control of everything, right down to the OS install. The node sits in Florida, with (allegedly, but it seems legit based on my limited, half-vast investigation) a fat pipe direct to the Atlanta NAP and another up the coast somewhere. Not being able to establish a shell due to issues (no kidding) in a shared environment is unacceptable to me. The former provider did not feel the same way.

Your question about running it at home made me chuckle. Once upon a time I had a consulting company. We provided, among other services, email and web hosting for many of our SMB clients. I started that offering with a bunch of Sun equipment in my basement and some T1s run right to my house. Those were the days. My wife used to claim I could heat the entire place with the E3000s alone. We also had a rack of Ultra 1/170s, another partially populated with E280s and network gear. The tape systems took up a corner, but my boys loved to watch the robot and listen to the chunk-chunk-chunk-whirrrrr when backups were running. Consumers Power loved me. I'm surprised I never got raided as a potential "grow operation." LOL.

We now sit on a shiny, new, overpowered system with a new provider. I have complete control of everything, right down to the OS install. The node sits in Florida, with (allegedly, but it seems legit based on my limited, half-vast investigation) a fat pipe direct to the Atlanta NAP and another up the coast somewhere. Not being able to establish a shell due to issues (no kidding) in a shared environment is unacceptable to me. The former provider did not feel the same way.

Did you just call me a Node?

Thanks for all your work I firmly believe you should accept donations. I make donations to many sites that are not as good as this one.

John, thanks again for getting the site up. I've been a site admin during a few previous lives, and I'm glad those days are in the past. Unless you do this stuff for a living, it's pretty time consuming to say the least. Thanks again, and have a beer on me.

Archived