Heritage Owners Club

Anyone familiar with the Traynor Guitar Mate Reverb YGM3?

Hfan

Any of you resident amp whisperers up on the YGM3? I love that EL84 tone..have a Tweed Blues JR that I have modded the heck out (most of Bill M's mods) and was considering a point to point combo. New modern options (DrZ, Matchless etc) are a ton of money. There is an early 70s one available not too far from me with a EV Force 12 speaker. Supposedly recently serviced and a few mods done. Have read some good things. Open to other discussion for a good EL84 amp..lower wattage ones maybe.

My main concern is no master volume..I play at home and only at moderate volumes. I have loud amps that don't get used. I think this is 22W? Thanks.

00m0m_6Zh8r1VoDsk_600x450.jpg

The YGM-3 is cathode biased for about 15 watts. I've serviced a couple over the years. I would replace any electrolytic caps, check all resistors to be sure they're within spec and find a good 12" speaker to replace the original Marsland. My personal take; I didn't care for the closed back cab and they really don't have much clean headroom. This may be perfect for you as you're playing at home at lower volumes.

The YGM-3 is cathode biased for about 15 watts. I've serviced a couple over the years. I would replace any electrolytic caps, check all resistors to be sure they're within spec and find a good 12" speaker to replace the original Marsland. My personal take; I didn't care for the closed back cab and they really don't have much clean headroom. This may be perfect for you as you're playing at home at lower volumes.

It has an EV Force 12 speaker in it. I don't really want clean head room for this application. I know I like EL 84s in general and this one may be a fun one to tinker with etc. Might be able to get it for $350 or so. Some guys remove the back cover from what I've read. Maybe cut a window in the back?

I had to reflow the power tube pins solder connections on my Blues Jr recently and every time I work on it and have to solder around the traces I vow to have a point to point EL 84 some day. Was considering pulling the power tube ribbon cables and installing straight wire. I did that for the pre amp ribbon cables, had a few of the ribbon connection points fail from having the chassis out so many times. I did most of Bill M's mods, often one at a time. I like it a lot though for lower volume use.

Think of it like a Deluxe Reverb with EL-84. It's a great amp, awesome tones. Just use a dirt pedal and rock out. It's a 20 watt amp. You'll love it. My YGM-4 is basically the same amp.

I didn't know you had one Josh, small world eh?

Pat Furlan has a bunch of vids on youtube that are very useful for these amps:

Thanks for the links Chris.

Wow that is nice, looks great. What about it are you not liking? I would have the sawz-all going in the garage but that's just me. I could see cutting a hole in the back, conserving the material in the cut out and wrapping it as neatly as possible around the hole. Total cost 0.

Turns out the one I am looking at is a distance away, the seller would meet me half way but I doubt if I'd have a chance to really try it. It looks like a nice simple circuit to tinker with and from what I hear, it's a fun amp and I like that EL 84 vibe. And there is that upgraded speaker.

I've priced other point to point options, mostly big bucks. We'll see.

Traynor did reissue the YGM-3 not long ago, going rate new is over $1,000 since they used every vintage componet they could find, even sourced the original manufacture of the PT's.

http://traynoramps.com/legacy/vintage/product/ygm-3/

YGM-3 Guitar Mate - Handwired Vintage Reissue 20 watt 1x12'' / Trem & Spr Reverb

Hand Wired Vintage Re-Issue

Built for the player that refuses to compromise their sound, the Traynor Re-issue YGM-3 recaptures the tone, warmth, feel and responsiveness of one of the classic Traynor guitar amplifiers of all time. Built using truly hand-wired point-to-point circuitry throughout, the Traynor YGM-3 uses only high-grade fiberglass insulated wire for all connections - no printed circuit boards or surface mount components are used.

Vintage Parts & Original Amp Specifications

Parts for the Traynor YGM-3 Re-issue were sourced from the original suppliers and built to the original design specifications wherever possible. The paper bobbin transformers were recreated for the YGM3 by Hammond, a source for Traynor parts since the '60s. Premium polypropylene capacitors, Switchcraft jacks and Accutronics reverb tanks are used today, just as they were in the '60s and '70s. The original supplier even painstakingly recreated the unique grille cloth used on the original YGM3 for the re-issue.

As for my YGM-4:

Per Traynor's website:

YGM-4

:: Overview ::

:: Features ::

Basically this was a YGM-3 with 4 8" speakers, the same as the ones used in PA columns. Sound was surprisingly rich.

Funny, I come here for advice on an old Traynor amp from the 70's and I wind up buying one here.

This one is heading to the Jersey Shore. Thanks Josh.

Yep, I swapped cabs because they sound much better open back with an efficient speaker....

Here was mine...

photo_zps7f748753.jpg

photo_zps219734ac.jpg

But I had a custom cab made by the same people that made Heritage amp cabs...

imagejpg1_zps2e49bda7.jpg

Welcome to the Josh castaway club!

I've got another of his old amps.

That you do, again, another custom cabinet amp I let go. Surprising enough, I let another go.... Three weeks ago, I had three amps... Today, I only have one...

Archived