Heritage Owners Club

SOVTEK Tube Midget 50H: New Amp Day Do-over.

It seems to me that my 100W Carvin V3 can do anything (except reverb but that's another story) yet I still had a sweet tooth for a Marshall amp or something like that. I bought a used Carvin X100B but returned it because it needed repairs that were going to be too impractical to accomplish.

So yesterday while shopping for amps, I discovered (something I assume most of you have already heard about) a Russian mini monster, 50W hand wired amp called a SOVTEK Midget 50. SOVTEK as in "Soviet Technology" Some say they sound as good as a vintage Marshall, many say they're even better than that even. Two channels, seriously impressive clean tone as well as seriously big fat beefy Marshall style distortion. Silent when you aren't playing. LOUD!

This heavy little guy is going to sit on top of my Marshall 1960b cabinet. This little sleeper is louder than my ears can bear and could easily keep up with my V3 if it ever needed to do so. It's all original so it's got Russian tubes in it too. What sold me besides the tone was the small case which would make for easy transport, and the hand wiring would make the amp completely repairable for ever should anything ever happen to it. Also the price. The Marshalls I was looking at were well over $1000.00 and this amp was well under $1000.00.

The first two photos are my actual amp and the two gut shots are photos that I found online.

post-679-0-20281900-1406766861_thumb.jpg

post-679-0-22838200-1406766881_thumb.jpg

post-679-0-80698700-1406766889_thumb.jpg

That's a sweet amp!

Cool song!

Nice! Most people refer to those as "MIG 50" amps, after the Soviet 'MIG' fighter jets.

They are VERY nice amplifiers. The MIG 50's with the Master Volumes are supposedly better.

I'm curious to see which amp I wind up playing more in the long run now that I have three great amps to choose from.

I learned today that it is actually called a "Tube Midget 50H" and not just a MIdget 50.

Sovetek made a number of different versions of this amp and like Tbone said, this is the best version, the one with the VOLUME, MASTER and PRESENCE dials.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived