Heritage Owners Club

Super Eagle Number 4

peterbright

SE Build One: Hog Body, Spruce Top, Single Floating Heritage #3 PU (In Process)

SE Build Two: Maple Body, Spruce Top, Two Set in Seth Lovers (Being Played and Broken In)

SE Build Three: Maple Body, Spruce Top, Full Acoustic with no Cutaway (In Process)

SE Build Four: Maple Body, Spruce Top, Two Floating P90's (Planning Stage)

What are your suggestions for Build Number 4?

Super Eagle #4...

Florentine cutaway;

Single set-in Seth Lover p'up;

Spruce top w/AAAA Flamed Maple back/sides/neck (Choice woods upgrade);

Tap tuned;

Aged Antique Natural;

Six-finger tailpiece;

Gold hardware;

Rim mounted input jack.

Just off the top of my head ideas! :icon_sunny:

I used to favor rim mounted jacks and still find them very convenient. The end pin jack though prevent catastrophe when walking away with a plugged in guitar. I remember that everytime I search for the input hole blindly on the end of the guitar.

I'd consider getting one with a Howard Roberts center hole. The guitars are not as bright and sound a bit more like a flat top. The design never took off well for a few reasons.

1. The overall tone is not a piercing as a traditional archtop. Without an amp it won't cut through the mix. Solution: amplify it.

2. It is prone to feedback but no more than any acoustic guitar.

3. It fits in tone between a flat top and an archtop, not fully pleasing purists of either camp.

I owned one of the very early Howard Roberts made in Kalamazoo. It had a great sound acoustically and amplified but not as full as a carved top guitar. Having Heritage carve you one with a floater on it would get you a really nice instrument.

I would also favor a Florentine cutaway. It does improve upper fret access a bit.

attachicon.gifmc carty pickup.jpg

Lollar has made these before.

McCarty pickups are great for that vintage Grant Green type of sound. They are similar to a P90 and utilize a P90 base plate, but are thinner overall to fit older archtops. I like your idea to use these for Super #4. I'm in the process of retrofitting my L12p with this setup.

Oh! Those aren't P90s.

I had a McCarty pup on a 1920s L5. In fact that was my gigging rig for a while.

I'd suggest you try one of these out before commiting. They are very much single coil and hum. Mine sounded thinner than a P90.

The pole pieces are not adjustable. While not a deal breaker, you may have to switch string sets to find the best to prevent the 3rd to 2nd string amplitude jump.

Good advice from Martygrass. You should try some first so you don't end up having extra holes drilled later for different pickups if you don't like them. I would listen to some Grant Green. On youtube there's a vid of him jamming with K. Burrell and B. Kessell and he's using a single McCarty guard on an old non cut Epi.

Oh! Those aren't P90s.

I'd suggest you try one of these out before commiting. They are very much single coil and hum. Mine sounded thinner than a P90.

The pole pieces are not adjustable. While not a deal breaker, you may have to switch string sets to find the best to prevent the 3rd to 2nd string amplitude jump.

My thought was that with 2 the hum issue could be avoided. I'd also be using a wound b.

Peter,

I've given this some thought.

Eagle CLASSIC 18 inch

short scale,split block,unbound fingerboard

Unbound eagle head veneer

Maple,Spruce,NON CUT

Nat. finish. BLACK binding, (maybe multi top)

Black finger tailpiece

Lollar pus pick guard,that you speak of

Good luck..

Aside from the wait,this is the hardest part. :icon_salut:

Oh! Those aren't P90s.

I bet Jason's version is far superior to the original in the hum department!

Archived