Heritage Owners Club

Sweet 16 problem

Larryfeldman

Hi Folks, I've never posted before. I have a Sweet 16. My big issue is with the 1st string slipping off the neck when I play fingerstyle. Has anyone else encountered that problem? I'm trying to record, and it's just not working with this guitar. Thanks and looking forward to some ideas and responses.

Cheers, Larry

Hi there. Make sure your bridge is centered. If it is and you still have the problem you'll need to measure your string spacing at the bridge which should be 2". At the nut you should have about 1/8" reveal from the outside strings to the outside edge of the fingerboard binding.

... measure your string spacing at the bridge which should be 2". At the nut you should have about 1/8" reveal from the outside strings to the outside edge of the fingerboard binding.

:thumbsup: If this is not the case bring it to your guitar tech and explain the problem. It is a relatively easy fix.

Great advice thus far.

Also, since Heritage 16's fret ends are typically covered with binding, the nut needs to be precisely cut and not too close to the edge...Otherwise slippage can occur.

Have a tech check both the bridge position AND nut slot on your high E string.

Almost always this can be corrected by loosening the strings and moving the bridge base toward the bass side.

The low E should be slightly closer to the edge of the fretboard than the high E.

Just scoot that bridge over a tad. If that doesn't work, you can hire the big guns.

Hinesarchtop is right about the string spread being 2" at the saddle. But I don't have any problems with the string spread wider at 2 2-/32" on long scale Heritage archtops. Bridge placement is more important with a wide string spread though.

Double Wow! Moving the bridge towards the bass fixed the problem with the first string slipping off the neck and also corrected my intonation. Thank you once again.

Great resolution!

Great advice thus far.

....... the nut needs to be precisely cut and not too close to the edge...Otherwise slippage can occur.

At you age you should know about, "slippage." ;^)

Welcome aboard Larry.

Archived