Heritage Owners Club

Cheap Extension Cabs

DetroitBlues

I'm looking for another extension cab to go with my new Peavey amp head. While I'm looking for a 2x12 cab, I keep running across Crate and other 4x12 cabs that are under $100. I'm guessing most are really cheap, poor sounding, and not durable. I have no idea how much they are to ship, but its making me think I should just get a Jet City 1x12 and use my existing Jet City 2x12 when I need more punch. I think a 4x12 is too much cabinet for my use with even a 20 watt amp head. What do you guys recommend I do?

I would suggest looking into Avitar speaker cabs. You can basically custom order it and the prices are reasonable....

I concur. Mine is VERY well built, and the cost was VERY reasonable.

I would suggest looking into Avitar speaker cabs. You can basically custom order it and the prices are reasonable....

Another vote for the Avatar cabs. A buddy of mine has their Contemporary series and it sounds great and is very solidly built. Go on their website and check it out or of course there are used one's on Ebay. I notice a pretty nice 2 x 12 unloaded at a good price. Given your gear nut leanings DB I would imagine you already have a couple speakers you like that you could load in.

I think you can buy unloaded cabs from Avitar if you are just looking for the cab...

They had a great deal on their Hellatone speakers. Which are relabeled Celestions that are "broken in"

I have them in both my 1x12 and 2x12 cabs. They sound great.....

Nothing wrong with Crate Cabinets. THey just don't have the resale value but many are loaded with celestions. I think the Blue Voodoo Line of cabinets is really good. Made in USA. I compared them to others. I took all the emblems off and Steiner built a sign for my cabinet so it would match the head. Guitar center frequently has the Crate 4-12's for 150 or less. Another option are the randall 4 x 12 cabinets , usually loaded with celestions or eminence speakers. you shouldn't have to pay more than 150 (bring a screwdriver so you can see if the speakers were swapped out or not). as always, you always have 30 days to return if you don't like it and that is a plus for guitar center.

Jet City makes great cabs

I was looking at my gear last night, briefly anyway. I realized, I need a 2x12 with a band and playing live, but I only need a 1x12 for home use. So I bought a used Jet City 1x12 Extension cab for $100. I may buy a Crate 4x12 I've seen, but I really don't want to haul that up and down the basement stairs. A strong possiblity would be to buy a 4x12, but only have 2 speaker installed. My old guitar tech would bring a full stack, but people didn't know, one cab was unloaded and the other had only 2 speakers...

IMHO I don't think a 4x12 with only two speakers installed would sound optimal with the large "port" holes. Two 2x12 cabinets wouldn't be bad, you could use just the one at home for practice and both when playing out.

BTW, I've had good experience with Avatar and the past as well.

IMHO I don't think a 4x12 with only two speakers installed would sound optimal with the large "port" holes. Two 2x12 cabinets wouldn't be bad, you could use just the one at home for practice and both when playing out.

BTW, I've had good experience with Avatar and the past as well.

I don't find the prices of Avatar to be much different than a Marshall cabinet, I can buy a near mint Marshall cab cheaper than an Avatar.

I don't find the prices of Avatar to be much different than a Marshall cabinet, I can buy a near mint Marshall cab cheaper than an Avatar.

That's what I did. I considered the Avatar cabinets but wound up buying a couple of Marshall 4x12 cabinets on CL for half what they would cost new. Yes, they are big but they sound great and they came with wheels. As a matter of fact, the pre-owned Marshals sound so good that you might think about using the Jet City stuff to set empty beer cans on and shoot at them. hahaha

That's what I did. I considered the Avatar cabinets but wound up buying a couple of Marshall 4x12 cabinets on CL for half what they would cost new. Yes, they are big but they sound great and they came with wheels. As a matter of fact, the pre-owned Marshals sound so good that you might think about using the Jet City stuff to set empty beer cans on and shoot at them. hahaha

My Jet City 2x12 is a convertible cabinet from closed to open back, and it has a balanced emulated output to go directly to a mixer, by-passing the need for a mic. AND it was $150. I don't think your Hell On Wheels (great TV show!) Marshall cabs can do that for that price. The 1x12 does the same thing and it was $100.

My Jet City 2x12 is a convertible cabinet from closed to open back, and it has a balanced emulated output to go directly to a mixer, by-passing the need for a mic. AND it was $150. I don't think your Hell On Wheels (great TV show!) Marshall cabs can do that for that price. The 1x12 does the same thing and it was $100.

Marshall makes a model 1936 cabinet which is a 2x12 and is lot more difficult to find. Cheap is a relative term.

Marshall makes a model 1936 cabinet which is a 2x12 and is lot more difficult to find. Cheap is a relative term.

A local shop has one... Its pretty cool, but nearly $600 if I remember right. Jet City has a half slant cabinet. I think that's a great idea. I've turned my 2x12 on its side. Sounds better that way to my ears.

I usually go to Parts Express and get the parts and make one. I was forever looking for one for my Polytone, but they are few and coveted, so I made a 12" external cabinet for around 100$. Going to make another for my SWR Strawberry Blonde but I have to do the Tolex, so a bit more time but around the same cost.

Archived