Heritage Owners Club

New Klon Centaur Clone OD Day

schundog

Every so often, I fall into the trap of listening to an online review of a new OD pedal, and pick it up. So far, there haven't been that many stinkers, even though I rarely sound like the demonstrators of said pedals.... Hmmm....

Multi Effects pedals from Boss, LIne 6, and Digitech have come and gone.

I have had and still have:

Digitech Bad Monkey (OK)

Boss DS-1 (First Pedal Bought; bad out of the box, CMATMODS modded, "OK" now. Rarely pull it out.)

Boss Metal Zone (Rarely used anymore; there was a time, however....)

Boss Blues Driver (Not on the board, but a great poor man's Fulltone OCD; can be made to sound very similar.)

BBE Green Screamer (Tube Screamer Wannabe; not bad, just lost it's spot to the new Soul Food)

Line 6 HD300

I have sold:

Digitech Grunge pedal. (Not so good.)

While checking out some Classified Ads on TDPRI, I saw this like-new electro-harmonix Soul Food for a good price, checked out some reviews, and picked it up. I plugged it in tonight to my Ibanez TSA-15 Head and 112 Cab, lit it up, and rocked out between it and the OCD for about 5 minutes before I got the ol' light flashing trick that Wifey does at the top of the stairs when she knows I won't hear her, but she wants me to turn down. Having wrangled such heavenly harmonic-laden cacophony from this combination, "just turning it down" wasn't going to be satisfactory, so I shut it all down and sulked, instead, haha. Honeymoon phase, I know, and not much time to make many adjustments, but so far so good. Here's Premier Guitar's review of the pedal, along with a pic of mine, and the young one's reaction to it. OK, she was just hamming it up. She's so like her mother.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljZdomOFpHs

4638D24B-8FD3-4FBA-AE2C-6E96CD135C2C_zps

986A8BDE-7530-464C-B282-42E01F8F3D5A_zps

This Ipad video proved nothing except:

1:) I am really bad at guitar.

2:) I have no shame.

3:) I have poor taste in t-shirts, and WHOA, that HEADstock!!

4:) The Ipad isn't an optimal recording tool, at least at the volumes I was using.

5:) The Soul Food is less harsh, or in-your-face than the OCD: Neither better nor worse, just different.

The amp was set up clean and fairly loud, through a home made 112 cab wth a Peavey Blue Marvel that I picked up for $30.

Obviously, the pedals could have had many different sounds, based on adjusting the amp, pedals, pickup selection, or guitar Tone/Volume. I dialed back the OCD a bit, but had it on it's "hotter" setting with it's mini switch. The Soul Food was pretty much straight up 12 o'clock on all settings. Both seem pretty touch sensitive. Please be kind regarding the video. I am learning, slowly. I shouldn't have used the Delay to record. Sounds muddy. Should have turned the master down to sound more clear.... On and on....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj3vNmkAwA0&feature=em-upload_owner

Similar sounding pedals, what? At least to these aging ears.

But I'm certain the sound of the nibs came through better with the Soul Food. Could be wrong.

Isn't recording fun? Humbles one, doesn't it?

Still, a fine job, Brian.

Ha! Thanks for the response, Lyle. The rest of the guys took the high road of "if you can't say something nice..."

As far as recording, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of; I LOVE your stuff, man.

As for mine, it should be quarantined like Ebola patients! In my defense, (NOT) Vino was involved. That said, I don't play any better stone cold sober....

Stop. You play. You smile while doing it. Your children love music and are enthusiastic about putting themselves out there.you are a smashing success on many levels in my book. Hell, Lou Reed couldn't sing for crap, and yet he rode that horse for miles!

SF definitely warmer sounding. Probably with some eq work they would sound very very close, at least close enough to not matter in a band setting but I am not a very good judge for these things.

I can tell that it seemed you were having a lot of contagious fun and isn't that the point?

LOVE the Soul Food! Good drive along with allowing the instrument's individual sound characteristics to shine through. The SF conveys and covers, not smothers, some great tones. Instead of "Tube Screamer" think "Tube Singer".

The only negative thing I've heard about the Soul Food is the knobs are prone to snap off. Easily fixed, or so I've heard. But everyone who has purchased one, seems to love it...

I'm rather satisfied with master volumes and my Bad Monkey myself. I do have an Electro Harmonix Linear Power Booster-1, but I haven't used it in a long time... Probably should for soloing.

Anyway, cool pedal, and you do have some chops Brian, don't sell yourself short.

That was cool! I enjoyed the vid. :icon_thumleft: You play like you mean it, I like that in a player. It keeps me engaged in whats going on.

I dont know, both good pedals and both different. I think I liked the warmer SF in the vid. I never quite got along with the OCD even though its a good stomp.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked one up to use as a clean boost for the 'B' side of my rig (in a chain with my Zen Drive)...best 66 bucks I ever spent. REALLY enhances the tone of my (especially) single coils...works great with humbuckers too. I can't believe Klon Centaurs are going for $1500-2000 on ebay! Back in the day, they were $250.00. Of course, Yamaha UD Stomps were going for $150.00 in the day (and I just paid $650.00 used...THAT is a cool pedal also if you like modulated chorus/delay stuff)...

Archived